50%
2. Let it live and prosper
50%

Total votes: 2

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Something Rotten in the State of Denmark

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:23 am

This time there really is. I will try to fill you in on the background. In the early 70's Christiania (formerly old military barracks) was occupied by squatters and has been occuppied ever since, being a safe haven for many danes, who has been battered by life itself. Today it is a community within the community. They have their own rules, their own tax and they have repaired and rebuilt it themselves. I will also you tell you this, that it has also been a safe haven for pot dealers/smokers, if you are fanatically anti drug. But also know this, pot and weed are the ONLY drugs permitted and heavy stuff like heroin has always been banned in the community.

For many years the politicians has wanted to shut Christiania down, no matter what party who has been in office. They're plan is to level the whole place and totally remodel it. In short, turning it from a hippie haven into a yuppie haven. Goes figure which alternative I prefer. Look, I'm not even a dane myself but a swede. But ending this 35 year old social experiment and replace it with glass, concrete and steel will improve nothing. Many of the ragged people will probably find themselves totally homeless and will remain so. You may think that because I live on the other side of the globe, this will not affect me. But thanks to internet the world is now global in a way it has never been before. These people who live there has their own works within the community, there are shops, cafés, blacksmiths etc.

All I ask is for you to support saving this beautiful oasis in the middle of Copenhagen. The alternative is, if this place goes, the suits, the ones with fat wallets will move in and this place will be forever gone. If they win this world will be one of even more conformity. So it affects us all, all over the world. The choice is yours. Thank you for listening to me.

Ren

http://home.christiania.org/~befri/gl.php3 http://www.christiania.org/save/

"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 pm

A Beatles quote seems appropriate here: "Let It Be". Not that I support drugs or "funny tobacco" in any way, but it's the small amount of anarchy that every society needs to keep things in perspective. Also a great tourist attraction at that (did you go there, Andy?), so I would hate to see it go...

:-J

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi Robin & Jakob

No, I didn't get to go to Christiania on my recent visit (indeed in the 6 or 7 times I have been to Copenhagen I have never been there). This time, with the kids, it was more about Tivoli and Canal Tours!

I don't know a huge amount about Christiania, however in a recent survey, Copenhagen came out as the most expesive city in Europe. As a resident of the second most expensive city in Europe (from the same poll), I can understand the frustration of some Danes who see these people living tax-free...

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....