Analog to digital video transfer

Music is not everything...
jam
Doctor Doctor

Analog to digital video transfer

Post by jam » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:12 am

PerG wrote:(...) it's a Double-8 movie transferred to DV. (...)

Hi PerG (or anyone),

In order not to digress further in the Valentine thread I'm ejecting this from the CB forum. :wink:

I have some VHS and HI-8 tapes that I would like to transfer to digital format. What can you recommend in way of HW, SW and procedure?

Thanks in advance, all...

Rgds
Jakob

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:32 am

I have piece of hardware that I bought a few years ago that plugs from vhs deck to the computer - once there it could be saved as a digital format. Everything comes to me now already in digital format, so I haven't used it in a while. I'll try to find the name of it and I'm sure there are other products that do this. I don't believe it was all that expensive either.

It was very easy to use and came with software for interfacing. I think the name was DAZZLE video creator.

Hope that may be of some help.

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 am

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:22 am

Thanks, Matt. I think these Dazzle gadgets are also available over here. Do you remember if the quality of the digital output was all right? I also found some advice on analog video capture here.

:-J

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:46 am

Actually, I found the quality to be fairly good. Though I didn't need it to be any sort of final product and I never did any comparisons, so I'm not sure... But I recall that the digital image seemed to look as good as the video it was taken from.

The Dazzle thing I used was not overly cheap but it also wasn't very expensive - I'm sure (like anything else) the higher end stuff probably does better quality for a higher price.

Hope you have a lot of space on your harddrive! Video takes up lots of bits... :lol:

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:19 am

Whoooopss.... I have obviously forgotten to check the Soapbox for a while. Sorry.. :cry:

It seems like you guys have this covered already. My advice would be Analog to DV-cam passthrough (like in your Videohelp-link) or a capture card.

I do actually have a TV-card from Terratec in my computer for this purpose but from there to actually trying it... No, has not happened yet... It's still on my To-Do list.... :wink:

For those interested:
My dad's Double8-to-DV transfer was done by filming the projector screen directly with the DV-cam. Most of the quality loss is more or less due to the old projector that was used. I think a new projector would have a great impact on the quality. But then again... How many people own a NEW Double-8 projector...

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:18 am

No problem, Per. Thanks anyway. I think I have an idea of what I need to do by now...

:-J