I've just received the 8 CD set

Discussions about Gallagher & Lyle

Moderator: rito

mygeneration
Momma's Boy

I've just received the 8 CD set

Post by mygeneration » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Well, seven actually as I already had the River Sessions. Been listening most of the day. It really hits home what a fine body of work G&L produced during the 70s.

Now what is it about the 1st album? Can they not find the masters? Or if it's simply two record companies who can't agree who owns the rights, instead of an "all lose" situation where no-one gets paid because the album isn't released, why don't they just split the royalties 50-50??

Gary
My Generation 60s web radio -
Regularly playing Gallagher & Lyle
www.my-generation.org.uk

Sarah J

Post by Sarah J » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:39 am

To all those of us 'outside' of the situation it seems so easy doesn't it? But as I know from experience, things in business are never that uncomplicated where money, rights and egos are involved. Love to see the first album on CD as I've still got the original LP (now there's an expression you don't hear much now - it seems to have been replaced by the more hip 'on vinyl', but they'll always be LPs to me!). The LP is well used and a bit scratchy and one bit of it annoyingly jumps, so I'd be first in line for a CD version. Anyone shed any light on the subject?

EDDIE
Momma's Boy

FIRST ALBUM

Post by EDDIE » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:40 am

Just adding my support - Now all the albums bar one are released I am haunted by those songs on the 1st Album which I would love to hear on CD ('City and Suburban Blues'; 'Broken Wings'; 'Coat for the Spring'; 'Greenfingers'; 'Comfort and Joy') and last but not least 'Of a Moment' that gets more poignant the older you get.

Have you had to give up the cause Bert despite all your hard work? What do G&L think of the situation?
EDDIE

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:26 am

Sarah J wrote:To all those of us 'outside' of the situation it seems so easy doesn't it? But as I know from experience, things in business are never that uncomplicated where money, rights and egos are involved. Love to see the first album on CD as I've still got the original LP (now there's an expression you don't hear much now - it seems to have been replaced by the more hip 'on vinyl', but they'll always be LPs to me!). The LP is well used and a bit scratchy and one bit of it annoyingly jumps, so I'd be first in line for a CD version. Anyone shed any light on the subject?

I've got both of the British issues of the 1st album, one on Capitol and the normal one on A&M and I'd be pleased to mp3 them and send then to Bert at River Records. I'm sure what little noise there is could be cleaned up professionally as they are both near mint. But that doesn't solve who "who gets what problem" concerning royalties

mygeneration
Momma's Boy

Post by mygeneration » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:27 am

Anonymous wrote:
Sarah J wrote:To all those of us 'outside' of the situation it seems so easy doesn't it? But as I know from experience, things in business are never that uncomplicated where money, rights and egos are involved. Love to see the first album on CD as I've still got the original LP (now there's an expression you don't hear much now - it seems to have been replaced by the more hip 'on vinyl', but they'll always be LPs to me!). The LP is well used and a bit scratchy and one bit of it annoyingly jumps, so I'd be first in line for a CD version. Anyone shed any light on the subject?

I've got both of the British issues of the 1st album, one on Capitol and the normal one on A&M and I'd be pleased to mp3 them and send then to Bert at River Records. I'm sure what little noise there is could be cleaned up professionally as they are both near mint. But that doesn't solve who "who gets what problem" concerning royalties

Sorry, that was me but I wasn't logged in <g>.
www.my-generation.org.uk

pdbmn

G+L song??

Post by pdbmn » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:07 pm

hi, completely new to this board, just posting on the most recent thread to hopefully get someone's attention quickly

on one of the compilations there is a song "You put the heart back in the city" - I don't have this album, but I have an mp3 of this song but it sounds more like UB40 to me! I've looked up the song on one of the most comprehensive music databases on the internet and nothing is listed with that title at al

where is the original G+L song of that title originally available anyway?

btw, I have enjoyed their music since I was 10 in 1976 and used to have all their LPs x Lonesome. Pete, Sheffield, England

jhmcdowall
Momma's Boy

You Put The heart back in the city

Post by jhmcdowall » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:56 am

Hi The above was written for the Glasgow flower festival near the end of the 80's I think. Was never on any album. Jim

Sarah J

Post by Sarah J » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:10 am

Heart back in the city was indeed written for the Glasgow Flower festival and is on the CD The Best of Gallagher and Lyle

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:01 am

So it's definitely them singing? Sounds soooo like reggae to me! Maybe someone did a cover version? Also, where can I find a track list for Lonesome no more? Thanks. Pete.

Sarah J

Post by Sarah J » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:39 am

Apologies - I said on the CD Best of but it's actually on an old tape I have which was also a compilation/best of type of thing - will try and dig it out (haven't seen it in a while) and let you know the exact title. Again, sorry for misinformation. Must be my age!

Sarah J

Post by Sarah J » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:14 am

Just found that old tape. It was called "Heart on my Sleeve" - The Very Best of Gallagher and Lyle was released by A & M in 1991. It has on it When I,m Dead and Gone, Malt & Barley Blues, Willie, Layna, We, Keep the Candle Burning, Breakaway, I wanna Stay with You, Every Little Teardrop, Heart on my Sleeve, Stay Young, Fifteeen Summers, Heart in New York and You put the Heart Back in the City.

doubt if you'd find a copy anywhere now, and I don't remember it being on any other album, but I seem to remember it was released as a single at the time - I saw an interview with them on the local Glagow TV news at the time.

Old fan

Mp3 'Of a Moment'

Post by Old fan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi -new to the board but a long time fan and good to find a source of info and news about G&L.

I am trying to get to listen to 'Of a moment' a track from G&L first album. This doesnt appear on the abridged Capitol release (10 tracks)that I have just tracked down from a dealer in the States and I am intrigued to hear this 'missing' track from my collection. The other missing track Desiderata I have tracked down on a Warwick 1980's compiltion album so it is just 'of a moment ' I am trying to locate.

Does anyone have an Mp3 they could make available?

omar1957
Momma's Boy

Post by omar1957 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:29 am

I have a really scrathced up vinyl single that I picked up in a charity shop years ago which I am sure has Desidereta on the B side.

Stuart

mygeneration
Momma's Boy

Post by mygeneration » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:48 am

omar1957 wrote:I have a really scrathced up vinyl single that I picked up in a charity shop years ago which I am sure has Desidereta on the B side.

Stuart

I have that single. Bought it some time ago on the British Capitol label. Never seen one before. Of course it's a demo. It may not have got any further than that as they changed labels.
www.my-generation.org.uk

mygeneration
Momma's Boy

Post by mygeneration » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:50 am

Some time ago I committed the whole of the first album to mp3. I also bought something called Audio Lab which does some sort of primitive remastering thingy on your PC.

During August I'm going to try to find time to remaster the album, but don't hold your breath!

Gary
www.my-generation.org.uk