Radio interview with Mike Slamer on the web

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

syzygy
Momma's Boy

Radio interview with Mike Slamer on the web

Post by syzygy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:47 pm

Dear all,

You may remember my plans for a radio documentary about CB almost a year ago. Things got delayed, as usual, but finally I got around to complete the documentary which will be broadcast with German independent station "afk max":

www.afkmax.de (German language, approx. 60')

Part of the documentary is a telephone interview I did with Mike Slamer (who was extremely patient with an extremely inexperienced interviewer (me)); thanks to Nicole Slamer, too, who was also extremely patient in fixing the dates and organizing everything with me!

You'll find the interview itself, raw and uncut, at

http://beamends.podspot.de/ (English language, approx. 22')

Unfortunately, you'll have to turn up the volume because Mike ended up fairly quiet in the recording. I apologize, that was my fault.

I hope you'll enjoy the interview.

In the foreseeable future I'll also publish the documentary itself (sans the better part of the music, of course, and in German), and hope to provide an English translation of the script.

Have fun with it, and let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Elmar/Syzygy

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Elmar,

Thanks for checking back here and especially for posting this - it's always nice to get news from a City Boy.

Good work, and thanks for sharing! 8)

Rgds
Jakob

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

Mike seems more than reluctant to have to talk about City Boy in the beginning of the interview... :wink: It gets better later on though. :lol:

syzygy
Momma's Boy

Post by syzygy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:21 am

... And now, I also got around to produce the translation of the documentary's script:

http://beamends.pbwiki.com/Audio

will lead you there.

You will notice that I relied heavily on Rito's site. ;-) Errors introduced are of course mine.

Cheers,

Elmar/Syzygy

Stefan
Narcissus

Post by Stefan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:05 pm

Well, Elmar, I'd just like to say that I have an enormous respect for your interviewing skills. You were prepared to ask a lot of questions concerning City Boy and Mike said instantly, that he didn't want to answer too many questions concerning this part in his life - period! What a shock?! And STILL you managed to get all your questions answered... I probably would have started talking about the weather only after Mikes very clear statement... Congrats to you!

What I found very remarkable is that Mike referred to many things as "crap" that we only know from Max's point of view. His version makes sense too, though.

The best part is when he talks about the story that lead to him being the guitar player instead of bass player in the band. I mean, this very moment was so decisive for everything that happened within CB and later in Mikes career, and I'm sure also for the fact that we have this community and website, don't you think?

I'm wondering what would have become of CB if they hadn't changed that responsibility for those two tiny extra strings ... ?

So thanks for sharing this with us, Elmar!

Another remarkable thing is that you talked about that TDTECF-Video that was broadcasted in Germany. You are the first one that really confirmed my memories because I also saw this video on TV and got hooked instantly. I've asked quite a few times if anybody else recalled having seen this, but nobody did, so I already doubted it's existance. Now I assume it was only shown in german TV. How can we hold of it, no traces on youtube ... who's got it??

syzygy
Momma's Boy

Post by syzygy » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:02 am

Hi Stefan,

Wow, thanks for the kind words! Actually, that was the first telephone interview I ever did, so I'm quite happy you guys apparently liked it.

I didn't get to ask *everything* I had had on my wishlist though... I would have loved to talk more about the band's breakup, but I could understand Mike's reluctance to talk to me, a stranger, about this still sensitive issue; that was fair enough.

What would the path of CB have been if Mike had stuck with the bass? I don't know, but I think it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. While he's certainly a gifted gitar player, I think the special appeal of CB was less due to his playing, but to his creative output.

As for the TDTECF video, I think it've only seen it twice or so... pretty cheesy, with the band being stuck in a burning elevator, and running over improvised post-apocalyptic junk yards. But still... it got me hooked.

Stefan, do you have any idea which programme it might have been on? Which were the music regulars back in '78/'79? Perhaps they've got archived footage. I *think* I recall having seen the video somewhen on a sunny afternoon, but that's a fairly wild guess...

Cheers, and thanks again for tuning in,

Elmar

Stefan
Narcissus

Post by Stefan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:57 pm

It may not have altered much for the career of City Boy, but those brilliant songs with Mike's guitar riffs like in "Bad for Business", "Machines" and so forth would certainly not exist that way. In my view, Mike contributed a lot of creative ideas to the band, but a lot of them only came to life through his extraordinary playing skills.

The video: I don't know exactly when "Formel 1" started in Germany. (That was a weekly TV show for music videos, nothing to do with racing) Could well be that the TDTECF video was shown there. It was cool and powerful (at least in my memory). Yes, and you're right, unlike the other known videos that just show the band perform, it was more of a little apocalyptic movie. If you have contacts to people in the media industry - which you obviously have - we all might have a chance to see it again.

Stefan
Narcissus

Post by Stefan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:28 pm

You will not believe it, but the Museum of Modern Art in New York had this video in an exhibition or programme in November this year!!!?!? Nobody saw that...

Go to www.moma.org and search for city boy, or read page 13 of http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/documents/MC_Nov06_Film_v.Final.pdf

It seems like there is an existing documentary in the States that contains our video !! Can anybody over the atlantic try to trace that?

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:42 pm

Great finding!

Music Film Clips
A retrospective screening of Statler’s New Wave film clips, including Graham Parker, Protection (1979); City Boy, The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1979); The Time, Cool (1981); DEVO, Love Without Anger (1981); Pere Ubu, Love, Love, Love (1989); Tiny Tim, Paddle Your Own Canoe (1993); and The Wipeouters, Twist ‘n’ Launch (2001). 93 min.

Wow, the director of the TDTECF video was Chuck Statler. He should know how to obtain a copy, shouldn't he?
Last edited by PerG on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan
Narcissus

Post by Stefan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:44 pm

I also opened a new topic for that, this may become interesting...

syzygy
Momma's Boy

Post by syzygy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:05 am

... to come back to the original topic ;-) :

At my Podcast you can now finally find the City Boy documentary!

For obvious reasons I had to cut out the better part of the music, but you probably own the CDs already anyway. ;-) It's about 20' of spoken text and information (obviously in German).

Have fun with it, and please let me know what you think of it.

Cheers,

Elmar/syzygy

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:41 am

Only now took the time to actually listen to the radio interview with Mike.
Good job Elmar.
You showed perseverance in combination with a very friendly interview style, I think this is what made Mike not being able to stick to his firm statement in the beginning of the interview.
I heared quite some interesting statements from Mike that were new to me, or shed a different light on things.
Again, well done !
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience