Did something happen to Roger Kent?

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Laurelei
Generalissima

Did something happen to Roger Kent?

Post by Laurelei » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:15 am

I was in YouTube this morning, watching 5705. In the second page of comments, someone posted that his uncle had been a drummer with the band, but had left before this video was made. He also said that he had died last year! Did something happen to Roger? You never hear much about him on this board, and I certainly didn't hear about him passing away.

Jo Ann
Last edited by Laurelei on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:27 am

That is very sad news but thanks for the info anyway, Jo Ann.
... and out!

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:48 am

I have seen this message on YouTube too...
It is very likely that this person is referring to Roger Kent.
Tragical...
He never got that much attention here, not even now at the moment his possible death is announced, but I think his drumming on the first two albums is quite allright and fits the music nicely (although I agree Roy Ward is the better drummer).
The message on YouTube also mentioned that several band members were on the funeral, so I assume Max must be aware of Rogers passing ?

ps. of course there is a possibility the message on YouTube is not referring to Roger at all; his name isn't mentioned and the person could have been mixing up bands (you see what I mean if you read the message).
Or, another possibility : I always had the feeling there was a 4th drummer involved with City Boy, perhaps for a very short time, in between albums. On the cd-booklet pictures of the Bear Tracks issue of the first album, there is a guy sitting on the stairs with the band, and behind the kit, that I don't recognize as Roger, Roy or Tony Braunagel.
Perhaps he is the victim ???
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:42 am

...if memory serves, Max was the one who had literally had to tell Roger Kent that his services as a drummer were no longer required in City Boy. Not a very pleasant thing to have to do, but perhaps also a testimony as to Max being the most diplomatic and able person to break it to Mr. Kent?

I wouldn't be surprised if Max knew what Roger Kent went on to do in post-City Boy existence - if it's something Max wishes to share his thoughts on, is of course an entirely different question.

If you recall, we also had someone here on the forum earlier, claiming that a relative of his had gotten cheated out of the hit that "5.7.0.5." became on some level or other. That someone, however, failed to go into detail regarding what happened - perhaps this is the same person who posted a message on YouTube?

I would guess that it has nothing to do with Tony Braunagel, who has been successful enough as a session drummer in his own right later. He also appears to never have been more than a guest on the "Young Men Gone West" album in the first place.

As for Roger Kent, I get the impression that he came from a different school of drumming than Roy Ward. I have nothing bad to say about the drum tracks on the first two albums - they work well, but they've got more of a swing or big band feel, as opposed to the quirky and creative hard rock chops Roy Ward would add to the proceedings on the last four albums.

...In fact, it reminds me somewhat of the rhytmic differences between Peter Criss and Eric Singer, the original and latter day Kiss drummer respectively: Singer is ultra precise and very hard-hitting, whereas Peter Criss' drumming was always looser and distinctively big band influenced. As a result, hearing early Kiss songs featuring Eric Singer on drums, feels a bit like being run over by a speed train that you could swear used to be a mere streetcar... :D

Geir
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:18 am

Geir is right; this has nothing to do with Tony Braunagel. I found his website and he is alive and well.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 pm

I still find it difficult to believe that Roger was dismissed from the band, as i met him backstage at one of the Barbarella's gigs in Birmingham. He told me he'd left due to management differences. Makes me think that if that wasn't the case, would he really have even been there ? Would have thought he'd have not been too pleased with the rest of the band.
Stone me what a life.

Laurelei
Generalissima

Re: Did something happen to Roger Kent?

Post by Laurelei » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Laurelei wrote:I was in YouTube this morning, watching 5705. In the second page of comments, someone posted that his uncle had been a drummer with the band, but had left before this video was made. He also said that he had died last year! Did something happen to Roger? You never hear much about him on this board, and I certainly didn't hear about him passing away.

Jo Ann

Hey All,

I'm pasting in part of an e-mail I got today from a friend of Roy's.

roy seems to think roger kent is still alive
he thinks it was another drummer who played briefly in the band that passed away.

I'm glad Roger's ok. I never heard about another drummer, but Roy would be in a much better position to know. I was genuinely saddened to think that Roger had passed away, mostly overlooked, even in this site devoted to the band. That would have been tragic, indeed.

Jo Ann
Too damn hard...

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:10 am

Good news, good news !!
Stone me what a life.

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:23 pm

1after2 wrote:(..) Or, another possibility : I always had the feeling there was a 4th drummer involved with City Boy, perhaps for a very short time, in between albums. On the cd-booklet pictures of the Bear Tracks issue of the first album, there is a guy sitting on the stairs with the band, and behind the kit, that I don't recognize as Roger, Roy or Tony Braunagel. Perhaps he is the victim ???

Quoting myself... :roll: :?
Roy thinks it was another drummer who played briefly in the band that passed away... me too !

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi All,

Ferret that I am, and never content to let a puzzle lie, I e-mailed the guy who posted the comment in the 5705 video. Truth be told, I had forgotten all about it, but he did reply tonight. But for the 5705 catching my eye in the e-mail subject, I would have deleted it as spam. Here's his reply:

Re: 5705 video and your comments
Hi there,
Im so sorry its taken over a year for me to reply! lol. No his name was robert (bob) neil, he was their drummer and i think background singer for a while, although i didnt really get to speak to him about it as much as i wouldve liked to as i moved to cambridge and he lived in london. Im not sure how long he was in the band for though, i think a few of the song showed a different drummer in the video, but it was actually my uncle who had performed the song at the time it was recorded.

Lynsey

Bob Neil, that's a new name to me. Piet, seems you may have been right about the mystery drummer. So it wasn't Roger that passed away.

There's another mystery then. Where is Roger?

Jo
Too damn hard...

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:25 pm

Interesting mystery indeed! :shock: Too bad that the name "Bob Neil" or "Robert Neil" is almost impossible to search on with any good results.

Which reminds me about this good old clip... :)) :

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:41 am

PerG wrote:Too bad that the name "Bob Neil" or "Robert Neil" is almost impossible to search on with any good results.
Which reminds me about this good old clip... :)) :

:D :D :D That is sooooo funny. Isn't that Rowan Atkinson I see in there?

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Leo camoose
Heavyweight

Post by Leo camoose » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:38 am

From "Not the 9 O'clock News" I Believe?

Brilliant! :))

runrigsweden
Doctor Doctor

Post by runrigsweden » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:40 am

that is funny. :)) :))

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 am

message from Chris Dunn on facebook, about two weeks ago :

"Chris Dunn (...) Apparently our first drummer, Roger Kent, passed away some years back.....I only found out because his son responded to a comment I had made on one of the CB videos on YouTube and mentioned that he had died. I was not able to get him to give me any details."