RIP Woolly Wolstenholme

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

bertrand
Mr Shoes

RIP Woolly Wolstenholme

Post by bertrand » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 am

Very sad news indeed :(

"It is with great sadness that John Lees' Barclay James Harvest announces the passing of Woolly Wolstenholme. In recent weeks Woolly's mental health had taken a turn for the worse and sadly he took his own life on Monday 13th December 2010. As you can imagine, John, Craig, Jez and Kevin and everyone associated with the band are stunned that a shining light of Barclay James Harvest is no longer with us. In this difficult time our thoughts are with Woolly's partner, Sue. We would ask all of Woolly's fans to remember his incredible contribution to popular music and his unique presence on stage."
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Re: RIP Woolly Wolstenholme

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 am

RIP Woolly. Only two founding members left now. :(
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Can't you put up some BJH albums to vote on as to honor his memory? Preferably Octoberon and Down To Earth to start with.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:10 pm

VERY SAD !!!! :cry:
Stone me what a life.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Octoberon.............CLASSIC ALBUM !!
Stone me what a life.

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:33 am

Yes I really like BJH till the 80' (when Wooly left)
On "BJH and other short stories"he wrote and sung a superb symphonic piece "the poet" -it was rather unusual then
I've seen that movie too

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:55 pm

so sad,,, I've been listening to nothing but BJH from last week when I heard the news. Woolly was my favorite Barclay, maybe due to his artistic talent with the orchestration and interesting chord progressions... He had had a rough time in the music industry, nearly losing his organic farm from some lawsuits decades ago. I was thrilled to see him back with John Lees' BJH and even with Maestoso. There are some hidden treasures throughout his music, especially BJH's Harbour, In Search of England, Sea of Tranquility,
Thank you for posting this, Bertrand. He will be missed.
~Dan
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:53 am

Yes he was my favorite Barclay too -I must admit that I lost some interest in the band when he left.He was one of the best "mellotronist"(along with Mike Pinder from The Moody Blues),rarely rated in the music press.I can understand why he left BJH-his symphonic taste was less and less relevant with the "FM" trend the band used to follow in the 80'
I ve seen him on stage with BJH ,he was always joking,hard to believe he suffered from depression.
Sad ending for BJH,remember Mel Pritchard died in 2004
I've seen that movie too

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:14 am

Yes, that was a sad day... the quiet yet artistic and powerful drummer, overlooked in the industry, but BJH fans all appreciated his presence and contributions. with Mel's passing came the realization that these two versions of BJH would never become a complete reunion. the vocal harmony of their voices sounded like no other and rivaled those of CSNY, BeeGee's... and you are right, that musically, it was Woolly that brought in the symphonic and more progressive sounds of the early years. a beautiful blend when all four were still together.
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:43 pm

An interesting article...Who came up first with the idea of orchestrations for BJH..a messy legal case indeed..
I've seen that movie too