A slight detour into a LAKE... ;-)

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Joe
Narcissus

Re: A slight detour into a LAKE... ;-)

Post by Joe » Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:29 pm

Lake had much a influence of believe itornot mid 70's 73 and 74 to be precise of the beach boys. as a matter of fact carl wilson sings onlake II<P>n.p.= kansas=freaks of nature :p

metro kid
Narcissus

Post by metro kid » Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:23 am

Hey Joe, glad to see that you're a beach boy fan!! (or at least have some knowledge of them)<P>I believe you'll hear some Beach Boys influence in City Boy's music also. Especially the endings of songs like "Young Men Gone West" and "I've Been Spun" to name but a few... I'm talking the over-lapping vocal parts in particular here.
Everybody wants to be somebody, I'm nobody trying to be anybody

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by metro kid:<BR><STRONG>Hey Joe, glad to see that you're a beach boy fan!! (or at least have some knowledge of them)<P>I believe you'll hear some Beach Boys influence in City Boy's music also. Especially the endings of songs like "Young Men Gone West" and "I've Been Spun" to name but a few... I'm talking the over-lapping vocal parts in particular here.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>oh yea really nobody had harmonies like them or since as a matter of fact many artists used to have carl, al, and bruce do alot of harmonies. Like Elton, America, Chicago. i love their early 70's stuff even though as many good songs they had just as many cheesy ones. My favorite album hard to say surf's up great holland's really good<P><BR>N.P.= toto= kingdome of desire

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 22silly:<BR><STRONG> :) Hi guy's,<P>I would like to join the LAKE debate. I just placed an order with Tower Records for ALL of the Lake releases available. While at it I placed an order for ALL the Charlie CD's as well. They should arrive in about 2 weeks. At that time I'll have something to say. At this time I am enjoying Charlie / Best of Charlie [very good]!<P> :) np: Sade "Diamond life" on my mini disc player. Wow! the sound!<P> :) Timmy</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>steve gadd what a great drummer.<P>n.p.=toto= kingdome of desire

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by metro kid:<BR><STRONG>Hey Joe, glad to see that you're a beach boy fan!! (or at least have some knowledge of them)<P>I believe you'll hear some Beach Boys influence in City Boy's music also. Especially the endings of songs like "Young Men Gone West" and "I've Been Spun" to name but a few... I'm talking the over-lapping vocal parts in particular here.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>mostly on those off color harmonmies also metro i hear what you say..

metro kid
Narcissus

Post by metro kid » Wed Mar 13, 2002 11:44 pm

Hi Joe, I'm more into 60's Beach Boys when Brian Wilson was in his heyday, but Surf's Up and Holland are both good albums in their own right.<P>I suggest you check out the Beach Boys Today (65) and Pet Sounds(66) for some of the most awesome vocal arrangements in all of rock music! I have some "vocals only" of these two albums and they are breath-taking...
Everybody wants to be somebody, I'm nobody trying to be anybody

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:38 am

Hey all! :)<P>Me again, this time with some comments on yet another Lake platter. Here goes...<P>********<P>For their 5th release, "Hot Day" (1981), Lake got Jo Kappl (bass) and Erlend Krauser (guitar) in to complete the line-up, which had already been altered severly from the original line-up by the time "Ouch" was released in 1980.<P>Krauser, for one, makes his mark immediately with a distinct lead guitar theme on the uptempo pop rock opener, "Sanford and Son". It's a catchy tune, but it does get a little unsubstantial the moment "Escape", the second track, kicks in. Lake pull all the plugs for a prime time AOR/melodic hard rock tune on this one: Stabbing keys, razor sharp guitar punctuations and huge vocals ... all with a deep sense of melody and a downright BRILLIANT guitar solo courtesy of Mr. Krauser! ...Probably my fave Lake song <B>ever</B>, save for a few moments from the debut.<P>All the more of a plunge with track 3, though: "Everyone" goes nowhere in an unfocused and very poppy fashion, whereas the guitar/goodtime piano driven "Silicone Sally" luckily gets the album back on track in catchy fashion. "Goodbye Alexander", on the other hand, sees Lake almost in pomp rock territory, with both excellent melody lines and an ambitious arrangement, making intelligent use of guitar/synth interplay ... classy stuff!<P>The pace then slows down for "The Sound of America" and "Cities", which are both mid-paced pop rock tunes. I prefer the latter, which is wonderfully summer-like in its atmosphere. For "Band at the Top", Krauser is solidly back in focus, but the song, albeit uptempo and driving, strikes me as a little too much "AOR by numbers". On the final track, "We Can Try", Lake launch into the slow, majestic type of song and arrangement they would close their final three albums with, as well. "We Can Try" is okay, but I must admit it fails to go beyond that as far as my musical tastes go.<P>All in all a somewhat uneven album. "Hot Day" fares better with me than "So What", whereas I prefer the flow "Voices" offers as a collection of songs ... although "Hot Day" probably peaks higher than the songs on "Voices" do. ...How "No Time For Heroes" (1983) fits into the equation? Stay tuned for the final 1980's Lake review!<P>Geir :)
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:17 am

Geir,<BR>I am pretty much in agreement with your views on the "Hot Day" LP. It's a decent album but somewhat inconsistent having it's good and not so good moments. The band took a more harder rock approach for this LP, which I think is the albums greatest asset. It seems rather ironic that this album starts off with a song about an american TV show,"Sanford And Son" and the album was never issued in the states. Bad marketing move! :)
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:38 am

Hey Lee, hey all! :)<P>At long last, here are my comments on the Lake "No Time For Heroes" album...<P>********<P>Following a live release ("Live - On the Run", 1982) few seem to have seen and much less heard, Lake returned in 1984 with the album "No Time For Heroes". Opener "Continental Vagabond" sports a full production, a powerful, but streamlined arrangement and a pre-chorus which to this ears would have sounded totally at home on "Toto IV". A pretty good start! Keyboardist Achim Oppermann then takes the mic for "Dreams in the Night", a slightly lighter mid-paced pop rock song catchy enough to provide Lake with a radio hit in Germany. "Tell Me Why" expands on the more laid-back style, a song a little too much on the soft side for me, but all credit to James Hopkins Harrison for injecting some very nice melody lines into this one.<P>With regards to "Heroes", a title track of sorts, the atmosphere reminds me of a warm summer night, despite the dramatic lyrical content ("the heroes, they were crying just like children for their mothers"). The chorus strikes me as a little too much of the same following the quite good verse. "Never Say Never", on the other hand, succeeds in diversifying the proceedings a little - more uptempo and featuring a very nice pre-chorus in particular. The harmonies for the chorus is also a nice touch, as are the guitar and synth runs cropping up occasionally on the song.<P>"Instrumental No.1" surprises me as an energetic, varied and very well executed instrumental - I say this because I don't usually like instrumentals, whereas I find this actually is one of the album's best moments. In a sense, the song is something of a flashback to the more progressive leanings of early era Lake -. which of course is very much fine with me!<P>"Johnny Don't Go" sports a fairly focused chorus, but there's something about this song which simply doesn't click with me ... too generic 1980's pop style? "Lorraine", an uptempo and instantly catchy AOR/melodic (hard) rock tune fares much, much better with me: Granted, nothing new under the sun here, but the formula works well! ..."Scotsman", on the other hand, will no doubt be too corny for many of you, but I enjoy James Hopkins Harrison's little visit back to his home turf - the little "rap" at the beginning of each verse works wonderfully to these ears, and the emulated pipes just add to the atmosphere.<P>The somewhat funky "Lady Divine" is frankly not my thing at all, even if the chorus isn't half bad, but thankfully the album's closer, "Fight It Together", goes at least some way to remedy this. It's a slower, more balladic song, but possibly the best closing track overall on their 1980s albums. Oh, and credit to Mr. Bernd Gärtig for a very tasteful guitar solo at the tag end of the song.<P>Knowing well that "No Time For Heroes" remains many Lake fans' fave 1980s release by the band, I don't doubt that this is due to the fairly good flow of the songs over the course of the album. That is, however, also exactly what I hold against it (if that makes any sense). "Hot Day", in comparison, is probably the weaker <I>album</I>, but the latter's tendency to rock out more when it does, gives it the edge over "No Time For Heroes" as far as I'm concerned.<P>Geir :)<P><I>np: <B>Lake</B> "No Time For Heroes" (1984).</I><P>PS: Lee, I had no idea "Sanford and Son" was an American TV show - and yes, bad marketing move, not releasing the "Hot Day" LP stateside then! As you will have seen from my review above, your "the band took a more harder rock approach for this LP, which I think is the albums greatest asset" also very much nails it with regards to "Hot Day" - well said!

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:21 pm

Geir,<BR>I enjoyed reading your review of the "No Time For Heroes" LP. Here are my views on this truly outstanding (for the most part) album:<P>The first three songs on the album, "Continental Vagabond" "Dreams In The Night" and "Tell Me Why" are all instant Lake classics. An excellent start to the album, with "Dreams In The Night" an especially powerful and emotional song with it's beautiful, haunting melody. The sound picks up the pace with the next cut, "Heroes" which is the albums title track. Another great song with splendid guitar licks and strong vocals by James Hopkins-Harrison. "Never Say Never" is the last and weakest song on side A. It's ballad-style verses and up-tempo choruses make for a unique approach, having the song sound like two songs combined into one. It's not a bad song, but not up to the level of the first four tunes.<P>Side B begins with the excellent "Instrumental No. 1." While listening to this song, it gives one the impression that the guys really had it all together for this album. "Instrumental" has great guitar work throughout, it sounds to me like it would be great background music to a sports action video. Downhill skiing comes to mind. Seems like it just fits! "Johnny Don't Go" is another excellent song. It has all the elements of a great pop tune, ranking right up there with all of Lake's other best tunes. "Lorraine" is another goodie. Up-tempo melody and beat, and the type of lyrics that make one want to sing along. I know you will disagree Geir, but I don't like "Scotsman" at all. In my view, this song is the album's one big drawback. The rap-style lyrics are annoying and poorly ill-concieved, and those shrill bagpipes at the end of the song only make matters worse. Actually, I skip the song now when I play this album. Thankfully, things get back on the right track with "Lady Divine." A nice tune, although with it's funky disco beat and melody it really does not fit the Lake style of music. Still, it's a good song only it sounds like it was written about five years too late! :D The album closes with "Fight It Together." Another good song, there's nothing really special about it that sticks out but it fits the concept of the album and makes for a nice closer. The best songs on this album are the ones composed by Oppermann & Harrison. I'd like to add that I think the production for this album could have been better. There seems to be an awful lot of mid-range mixing and some of the songs come off sounding a bit distorted. <P>Overall, on a scale of 1 thru 10, I give "No Time For Heroes" a rating of 8 1/2. A few minor flaws, but I think it's definitely Lake's best album from the 80's.
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:05 pm

Hey Lee! :)<P>I've enjoyed our little review exchanges, particularly since it is obvious that our tastes differ a little, judging by our perceptions of the various Lake releases. Collectively, I think we have at least given the others here an idea of what the 1980s releases by Lake sound like ... and that, to me, is what reviewing is all about - offering clues regarding the musical direction of an album, as well as shedding light on how you personally react to the music.<P>In the long run, I hope to see some of the others commenting on the Lake 1980s releases, but at least it's clear that the earlier albums of this band have many fans here on this forum.<P>Geir :)

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:15 am

How nice to dig up a vintage topic like this... :shock:

A friend from my childhood was a Lake fan but I never got to like them back then. Listening to "Paradise Island" (thanks Lee!) now and realise that I have missed something good!!

I got to give it more spins but the first side of the LP and especially "Paradise Way" is awesome!! :D

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:33 am

Per, You should try to check out their S/T first album. Still one of my all-time favorite 70's albums! A great (fairly unkown) band.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:53 am

Thanks for the tip Matt! There is a double cd-pack available with the s/t and Paradise Island. Guess I'll order it!

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey all! :D

Per, thank you for bringing this old thread back to life again. As you can tell, I was quite an active participant during its original span!

Anyway, I wanted to chip in that I made a Lake compilation for myself back at the time of discovering the band. I figured I'd offer you a copy of it, if you're interested? The collection includes songs from all their albums bar two, namely "Ouch!" (1980) and "Live - On the Run" (1982).

As for what Matt said regarding Lake's debut, I completely second that: It's an excellent album! ...Then again, Matt should know, as he's also the reason that I'm familiar with the album in the first place. He included track four from it, the brilliant "Chasing Colours", on a compilation tape that he sent me, and I loved the song from the word go! A couple of further tracks from the debut featured on a later tape, and before you know it, I was the owner of the 2-on-1 "Lake" and "Paradise Island" CD edition that you refer to. (Released, as it happens, by Renaissance Records, which most of us here of course know rather well through their two City Boy double re-issue CDs.)

I should note that your post has seen me digging out the first four Lake albums again, by the way. Whereas the abovementioned compilation saw me trying to draw a picture of Lake as an early AOR/melodic rock band, the recent re-familiarizing myself with the albums has broadened that scope a fair bit already.

The excellent near-title track you mention, "Paradise Way", supports the "AOR/melodic rock" angle, but then again, Lake would do straight-ahead, pop-based songs like "Hopeless Love" equally well, not to mention semi-progressive material like the closing track on "Paradise Island", namely "The Final Curtain", which I've only recently properly discovered.

My impression of "Lake II" (1978) and "Ouch" (1980) is improving by the minute, too: Initially, I found them to be far too laid-back musically, but it seems I hadn't invested the proper time in my listening to them initially. Mind you, I don't think anything can ever save the practically downright horrific "Amigo" and "Jamaica High" off of "Ouch!", though! :wink:

As for the albums Lake released during the eighties, that's a whole different story, vividly chronicled and debated earlier on in this thread, I believe! Oh, and Lee: Feel free to come on out and supplement me and Matt in our Lake comments for Per, indeed!

Riding Highway 216,
Geir :D

PS: Any other takers for the compilation, let me know!