A praise

All things Max Thomas

Moderator: jam

Laurelei
Generalissima

A praise

Post by Laurelei » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 pm

A quick testimony which I thought would be more approptiate here than on the main board. As a few of you know, I've been out of work for quite a while. It's been 15 months since I was laid off from my admin position. There is nothing out there for secretaries these days unless you have advanced degrees, or speak several languages, or are willing to work for nothing, or can to be on call 24/7, or even one job posting I saw that wanted fork lift and pallet jack experience in addition to secretarial skills. I had applied for literally hundreds of positions with almost no response.

Since I was laid off on June 4th, 2009 I've gone through 3 tiers of unemployment compensation, lived on our savings (hey, we can still retire by the time we're 125 or so), I went to college for the very first time in my life to train for a new and more employable career, served a one month, unpaid externship - in fact I had to pay them for the privilege - and now I HAVE A JOB! And it's even the exact place I wanted to work. I start on the 13th.

God has been incredibly gracious through this long ordeal, and has carried us through. By His grace, we never missed paying a bill, always had food on the table, had a place to live and even managed to keep our medical coverage. This was no small thing at a time when we have literally been hemorrhaging cash at every turn for things like major car repairs, seemingly endless medical bills, tax bills, etc.

Many times I was sorely lacking in faith through this, but He always stayed with us and gave us a way through. Thank you, Lord, for all Your help and for never giving up on me.

Jo Ann
Last edited by Laurelei on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy H
Heavyweight

Re: A praise

Post by Andy H » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Sorry i'm late catching up with this news. Congratulations Jo Ann, I'm delighted for you.

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks, guys. :hug:

A further praise...I will be on the company's insurance as of October 1, and so I can drop my expensive COBRA coverage. Today I got the bill I would have owed for next month's insurance, and it has trippeled to over $1500 USD per month. That, as they say, would have been that! No way I could have managed that. Got this job just in the nick of time. Thank you, Lord!

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Martin
Car-Eating Man

Post by Martin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:35 am

Good for you Jo !!
That's great news - sorry I'm late and I sincerely hope it's going well for you.

Thank goodness we don't have to have insurance premiums like that here in the UK.
The NHS, on the whole, works very well. For "free".
OK, we all pay taxes but the benefit is that we are ALL covered for medical expanses. Even if unexpectedly unemployed.
Thank you - I love you all!

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun May 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Still praising, even though things are tricky right now. We are slated to go on strike in a few days, unless there is an 11th hour agreement. Still, I'm strangely calm in the face of this, and I know that peace must be from God, and I know this will be ok.

Jo

1 Peter 5:7

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:11 am

After three weeks out, the strike is temporarily settled. I'm back to work tomorrow, and we weathered this time without a paycheck or benefits ok. Thank you, Lord!
Too damn hard...

Germain
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Germain » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:59 am

Laurelei wrote:After three weeks out, the strike is temporarily settled. I'm back to work tomorrow, and we weathered this time without a paycheck or benefits ok. Thank you, Lord!

Yayyyyy!!!!
:-D
Praise the Lord!!!!

Germain

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Well, a new job starts tomorrow. Nervous but excited. I didn't pursue this one, it came to me and I believe it to be God's will.

Jo