New question for Max

All things Max Thomas

Moderator: jam

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

New question for Max

Post by man who ate his car » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:32 am

Hi Max,

Many of my favorite City Boy songs are those composed by yourself and Lol Mason. You guys were a good songwriting team. Am I correct in saying that you wrote the music and Lol wrote the lyrics? Of the CB songs you had a hand in writing, what are some of your favorites and what was the idea/inspiration behind these songs?

Lee
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Nice one, Lee!

I don't know about Max's leanings, but my personal Mason/Thomas favourite is Dangerous Ground...

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:54 am

Hi guys....very sorry for not posting anything for ages. It's just a little difficult.
Good question, Lee. There was never really any pattern with the way that Lol and I wrote stuff. Sometimes I'd have a complete musical idea: melody, chords and a "feel" about the type of song it was; other times, he'd have the lyrics all done, and often a good part of the melody in his mind, and then I'd become just like a chord machine, and he might be inspired by some chords that I would go onto play which would end up being the chorus to the song.
I was thinking of "Speechless" here. He came with several of the verse lyrics written, and with much of the verse melody. I then worked out the chords, and then as we would keep running it, the verse became complete, and then the chorus just came out of some chords that seemed to follow well with the verse.
"Exit the Heavyweight" on the other hand, as far as I remember, involved me presenting the whole musical thing, and then Lol just "came up with the lyrics.
I'm glad you like "Dangerous Ground," Jam. I think it's my personal favourite of all the things that I've written (well, there's a few since, but they yet have to find their place, and right now I'm praying that God will open some doors to enable me to re-establish my musical carreer....I'll refer to this in Jo Ann's post about BTE). I don't remember the details of how it all came together, but I so well remember (and I think I may have documented this elsewhere) being in the studio in London on the day that the orchestra were putting the strings on. It's perhaps the best memory I have of the City Boy days. The conductor would ask me "exactly how did you play the piano in that part?" God, I was so embarrassed, but at the same time I felt very proud of the song. It was a fantastic experience, as I could see that many of the performers really liked the song.

I' have to look through the catalogue to remind myself, but I have to say that the weird thing about songwriting often for me, especially since I started doing it by myself, is that I just cannot recall where some things came from, or how they started, or how I ended up there?! Even before I became a Christian, I used to believe that most of my ideas (not being able to speak for anyone else) were inspired...as though I didn't actually conceive of them, but that they somehow just landed in my head.

Let me post this, as I haven't got a lot of time, and I want to try to answer some of the other postings.
Love in Him,
Max

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks for the response Max, always good to hear from you! DANGEROUS GROUND isn't one of my fave City Boy tunes. The instrumental opening is superb and the verses are good and tell the story. But the song loses focus and melody a bit during the choruses, it tends to plod along there but perhaps that's just me. I enjoy 90 percent of the stuff in the CB catalogue with just a small number of tracks I consider on the weaker side. GOODBYE BLUE MONDAY is one of my fave CB tunes. I believe you wrote that one along with Lol and Mike Slamer. I think that song is clearly the high point of the DINNER AT THE RITZ LP. SPEECHLESS is a good song also. The melody of this song is somewhat similar to Stevie Wonder's OVERJOYED. A couple other City Boy faves of mine from the debut LP are THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD and HAYMAKING TIME. The latter mentioned is a great folk tune, reminiscent of 1960's Simon & Garfunkel!

Regards,

Lee
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.