New Max Thomas forum!

All things Max Thomas

Moderator: jam

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Can't believe i missed this special forum for Max !! OK, being as it's here specially for him, how about a few more helping him out financially.........? A moderate contribution from a lot of people will make a huge difference. So far i think there's been THREE who've made themselves known to him.
Stone me what a life.

PerG
Heavyweight

Post by PerG » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:52 am

Coventry Dave wrote:Can't believe i missed this special forum for Max !! OK, being as it's here specially for him, how about a few more helping him out financially.........? A moderate contribution from a lot of people will make a huge difference. So far i think there's been THREE who've made themselves known to him.

It's sooo easy to miss the special forums! I often forget about them for long periods... :roll:

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:54 am

Dear Car-eating Man,

The change of record company in 1979 was all about making money during our tax-free year out of the UK. We had never had a big advance from Polygram, and that contract expiring in the US and Canada (can't remember where else) was a wonderful opportunity from Zomba's point-of-view to go for a big advance...and that's what they got: $1.2m. for three albums. That was in the spring of that year...but, just a few months down the line, as I've written elsewhere, all the shit hit the fan. We couldn't tour because of the oil crisis because of the American hostages held in Iran; the radio stations were only playing new-wave stuff or what I call dinosaur stuff, and we were definitely not punk, but neither established enough in the genre of Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Springsteen and so on...so DECF got little airplay; then to crown it all, the band split...by that time - less than a year after signing with Atlantic - they must have been thinking..."HOLD ON, this looks like a bad investment..." so it's not surprising that they didn't exactly pull out all the stops on promoting the album.
I think any other company would have done the same, and Polygram had never looked that ready to promote us heavily in the US anyway, so i tihnk Zomba probably did the best thing. Nobody could have foreseen what was to happen that year.

Whenever I look back on all this nowadays, I feel more and more convinced each time that it God who ordained that things were to happen this way. One of my main problems at the moment is that, unlike Steve, Mike and Chris, I am stuck in the UK with music that would stand a much better chance of being picked up in the US. I know "Beginning to End" would do well over there... I have actually started in the last few days to approach Theatre companies over there in the hope that I might get some interest...I'll quote below the letter I sent to one of them...I'd really appreciate any comments anyone has to make.
Love to you all,
and Love in Him,
Max

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:05 am

I am writing to you in the hope that you might consider staging “Beginning to End,” a musical play which I wrote with others at the end of the ’90’s. It tells the story of the Bible, literally from beginning to end, using music and songs written in a variety of different styles. The initial concept was based on the Mystery plays, which, as you probably know, were performed in England during the Middle Ages to teach the Word to those amongst the population who were illiterate.

I have my roots in rock music. I was a member of a band called “City Boy” during the ’70’s and ’80’s. We were signed to Polygram, and later Atlantic Records, and enjoyed some success in the UK, Europe, Canada and the United States during this time. We produced seven albums in as many years, and toured extensively throughout Europe and North America.

In 1984, I became a Christian, and since then my music has been devoted to the Lord and the spreading of His Word. In 1990, I started work on “Beginning to End” with Pat Lunt and Mike Catchpool, who wrote the script and most of the lyrics, and the show was performed in Bath in 1992 to more than 1000 people (to this day I regularly meet people who saw the show, or who were involved in it, and I know that it touched many hearts). Following this, I spent some considerable time recording a CD of the songs, and this was completed on 1998.

Why am I writing to you about it? Well, the show requires a fairly large production, and though I have found a few churches willing to stage a song or two as, say, part of their Easter celebrations, many have declared it to be too big for their drama groups/vocalists to handle. Further, the cultural climate of the land in which I live has become so godless in recent years that it has been impossible to find any professional company willing to consider it seriously.

Now, diehard fans of City Boy still run an excellent website which has, amongst other things, a discussion board, to which I occasionally contribute. Through this, two years ago I established with a Christian who lives in Branson, Missouri. I sent him a copy of the CD of the music and the script, and he is convinced that BTE would be very well received by American audiences. Then, in the last few weeks, I have started communicating with another individual who lives in Pennsylvania. She told me about “Sight and Sound,” and I was amazed to find that you are based in the areas where both of these people live – and I do not believe in coincidences! Hence my writing to you!!

My ultimate vision for the show is that it would be attractive even to non-believers (I am thinking of this country in particular) who might see it as a good “family” show. Once in the auditorium, the Holy Spirit would do the rest!

I have available: a synopsis, a script, a CD of the music with vocals, a CD of the backing tracks, and a score which comprises the melody line, guitar chords and lyrics only. I would be very happy to send you any of these items should you express any interest in pursuing my inquiry.

Yours in Him,
Max Thomas

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:16 am

Hey Max, funny you should mention "Sight & Sound"... My mother just got back from seeing a show there called "In The Beginning" (I believe). Made me think of your CD/play. Seems it was a HUGE production, so they obviously aren't scared away by that idea.

Sounds like it will be a great place for your venture. Good Luck.

matt

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:16 am

Hi Max! I too wish you all the luck with the BTE venture!!

I have a specific question regarding the credits for "DATR". Mason/Slamer/Thomas are stated as song writers for "State Secrets - A Thriller" on the back cover and on the LP label. But on the innersleeve with the lyrics, Mason/Broughton/Slamer are stated. Which one is correct?

Really nice to have you aboard again!

Best wishes

Mikael
... and out!

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Sight & Sound are doing it big indeed...

http://www.sight-sound.com/

Max, you name a certain Pat Lunt as one of the co-writers of BTE.
Is he a relative of Steve Lunt ??

Seems that Pat Lunt and Mike Catchpool are writing books these days...

http://www.eden.co.uk/shop/rats-dont-da ... 22939.html

Good luck with staging BTE in the States; it would be great and BTE definitely deserves it !
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

rito
El Presidente

Post by rito » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:49 am

Oh my, Sight & Sound really do look big!

All my best wishes for BTE in the USA!!!

Max Thomas
Band Member

REPLIES

Post by Max Thomas » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:01 am

Thanks, you guys, for all your contributions. Here’s a few brief replies:

Mikael, “State Secrets” was originated by Steve and Lol, with add-ons by Mike. I had no input on this one.

Matt, I was very excited about “Sight and Sound,” but, unfortunately, they only stage shows written in-house. I had a very nice reply to my e-mail, but that’s their policy. I’m researching other Theatre Companies in the US. Ideally, I would go over there, but that’s not practical right now – hence my e-mail/internet approach. BUT – since I first started writing this, I have re-established contact with a guy in Missouri who has put me in touch with the manager of a theatre there….so, well, watch this space!

Thomas and Martin – oh, yes, I’m always working on new stuff. It’s the time I don’t have.

No, Pat Lunt and Steve Lunt are not related as far as I know.

Thanks for the sentiment, Geir.

The music business today? Wow, hard to answer in a simple way….I think what is happening on American Idol and its British equivalent reflects many aspects of the business:

The industry is looking for people who can be turned into “stars.” They don’t want anyone who is too, too talented, because then they can’t control them. They want them to be completely subservient to their direction and management so that every aspect of their looks, image, repertoire and performance can be geared towards what the industry sees as the best marketing arena. There is no room for people with attitude – not unless that can be broken and turned into something else that’s marketable. There is no interest in originality or creativity – it’s far easier to have others write the songs, and others play the instruments….in other words, divide and rule.

“Anyone can make it” is the message of the whole competition, so even the integrity and worth of really gifted musicians and songwriters is diminished because we all see the winners quickly elevated to the stardom that others have taken years to achieve. Despite the huge importance of music in the lives of most people, and the fact that it is a major industry in most countries, its image as a “pastime” or “hobby” is yet further cheapened. I had a conversation just last week with someone who is a devotee of ’60’s and ’70’s rock music, and even he made some reference to “musicians should get a proper job.”

Of course, there are artists and bands who are still being offered record contracts because they write good music and perform it well. But I have to say, where all the good songs? (I mean the ones that people will still be singing in 10/20 years time) I am amazed how often I hear odd little snippets from old songs, sitting discreetly in “new” songs. It’s shameful.
More another time!!

Love in Him,
Max

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

New Max Thomas forum!

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:15 pm

I completely agree with Max's point of view regarding the music industry. The Idol concept has unfortunately spread to many more countries than just US/UK. The policy the record companies has adopted the last 15-20 years will only lead to their own demise. The executives are only interested in short time profits. In their greedy chase for money they fail to recognize true talent and even if they could they couldn't care less since they have no interest except for the mighty dollar. I'm fairly confident that people in a hundred years time will still listen to artists like The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie and many others from 60's and 70's. And how come I believe they will survive the test of time? Simply because they have something these shallow puppets of Idol and similar concepts don't have. They have soul and emotions. They touch peoples hearts and minds. Those superficial "Idols" will all be long forgotten hundred years from now. I fear that for those people in the future who wants to study early 21th century music will only find a big black hole of nothing. Then again, considering a site like this, a tribute to a band that ceased to exist about 25 years ago, fills my heart with both warmth and hope. I feel truly sorry that they didn't get the recognition they deserved back then but as long as us old fans is alive and kicking, the music will live on. And who knows, perhaps it will live on even beyond that!
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:27 am

Dear All,

Thank you so much for viewing and some replying to my testimony. Please don't hesitate to write anything you wish. Ask questions; make criticisms; add comments; disagree. I will reply to what has been written, and anything else that is posted when I get an opportunity.

On another topic, I am selling a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp. It has "City Boy" emblazoned on its back. It is not in perfect condition, and it has a slight buzz when it's been on for a while. Also its reverb spring is broken. Otherwise it is in good working order, and it is, of course, more than 30 years old, so I know it's a bit of a collector's piece . I have got it on e-bay for a reserve price of GBP400.

Love to you all. I think of all of you, and you are all in my prayers.
My best wishes,
Max

Eman
Momma's Boy

Re: New Max Thomas forum!

Post by Eman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Max, I read your testimony and I am very touched. Not a lot of people would be proud and admit their Chrisitan values and faith no matter what their denomination is. Like you I kinda turned away from it (I'm a Catholic) but then one day it hit me as I was stranded in Madrid waiting for a flight and being booked in a strange hotel which had a very bad vibe to it. So I just sat in my hotel room and prayed for guidance and strength not be to afraid, and sure enough, I felt better. Since then I've renewed my beliefs and have been a practicing Catholic ever since. Just wanted to share that with you and that there is truth that God works in mysterious ways and never abandons us no matter how far we've strayed.

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Eman,

Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier....

I agree, God never abandons us no matter how far we've strayed. My concern is more for those who do not know God at all - or those, who, rather, have chosen to refuse to accept that God exists even though they have been told about Him.

You have read my testimony, so you will know that I come from a family of atheists, all of whom were effectively brainwashed by my parents into believing that the human species came into being as a consequence of a random series of collisions of particles over millions of years. This event, according to that school of thought, occurred somehow by "evolutionary" means producing - alongside the human species - the incredible beauty of the flora and fauna of this planet. It further implies the utterly random creation of this lump of matter (Earth, on which we all live) which just happens to provide fuel, food, oxygen, water and so on (well enough even to feed the population of the world right now, but which man-made borders, prejudice and politics prevent). And also, the "random" creation of the amazing diversity of creativity that separates the human species from the animals... I could go on.

And atheists and agnostics sit there, thinking that when they die they will merely push up daisies (if they are buried) and that the very spirit that was in them throughout their lives will die at the same moment that their body dies. Thus, all they can do is to try to convince themselves that they might leave some mark of their existence behind (a note somewhere of their achievements; a tangible legacy that bears their name - you know the type of thing I mean), when the reality is that every single one of us will live on (because the Creator of the Universe did not build death into our bodies - we did) - whether we like it or not - and face the consequences of our actions and deeds in this life... and those who have believed in Christ will move on into the next - and final - phase of life, which will not be human existence as we know it, because death will have been abolished, and life - without pain, suffering, anxiety, hunger, poverty or fear - will be established eternally as we live in the very presence of Those who were responsible in creating us (the Trinity). Those who do not believe will - as one old friend of mine put it "be swept away" (he has had a recurring nightmare of this fate befalling him and his family over many years), lost, removed completely from the salvation offered freely to every single human being that exists, and has ever existed... Oh, Eman, this is what I get passionate about.

I don't even want to talk about "Christians" I know whose lives seem to be so well ordered, when Christ Himself said that we would all be persecuted - especially in these last days... those who will pour scorn on others who face troubles and trials and difficulties in their lives. I've met my share of them in recent years, I can tell you...

I heard a tape of a Spirit-filled man many years ago who said that on THAT DAY, when Jesus has returned, and Judgement is taking place, there would be TWO, BIG surprises for all of us (I believe I have documented this elsewhere on the website):
1. We will be surprised by those we see in Heaven whom we would not have expected to be there, but...
2. We will be most surprised by the absence of those whom we would have expected to be there - whom we will NOT see there.

(On the same tape, the guy went on to tell the story of the Nuremburg trials of Hitler's Chiefs of Staff at the end of WW2. I don't remember the figures exactly, but most of those who were on trial were to receive the death penalty, and an American Baptist Minister was sent to Nuremburg to minister to them during their last weeks before their fate would catch up with them. The Minister recorded that something like 18 out of 26 of them confessed their sins to him and gave their hearts to Christ before their execution, and, as a consequence, as he declared confidently in his report, those 18 were standing in Heaven on that same day of their executions.)

Yes, indeed, Eman, God works in mysterious ways and through Christ can admit to Heaven the most evil people... even mass murderers... who have repented. The shed blood of Christ is the most powerful thing!

Just one more thing... Juniper and I are of one mind when it comes to different denominations of Christianity. We are actually not ourselves committed to any particular denomination, and we sometimes wish that there would be a demolition of denominations so that Christ can be enabled to unite all believers in His one purpose - to use His Church to bring many to Him in these last days.

I'll leave you with that thought...

Best wishes to you!
Max

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:30 am

Hi Max,

I think I consider myself mostly as an agnostic.

For me, all theories about creation of existence, whether by evolution or by a higher power like the Lord, have their plusses and minusses, so i.m.o. they could all be true, or not, or partly. I simply just don't know, because most of it is beyond my comprehension.

I don't know, but I also don't rule out any possibility.
Therefore, I respect any persons faith, no matter what it is (christian, muslim, etc. etc.), but also any persons disbelief or uncertainty, as long as those persons respect other views as well and don't try to make their point by using any kind of insinuation, instigation, pressure or violence.

So far, so good.
However, I must admit that the picture of Nazi criminals going to heaven, just because of a few "right words" in the end, after so many gruesome deeds, is disgusting me. I suppose in this picture, some people who have spend their lives helping other people and in general have done good things, no violence etc., end up in hell because they are uncertain about the roots of their existence ?

Please tell me that I have understood something wrong here.
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

syzygy
Momma's Boy

Post by syzygy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:12 am

Let an old-school catholic chime in...

Of course, the crucial thing is not to "speak the right words", but to genuinely come to insight to what you did wrong, to repent and regret your sins -- then you can achieve forgiveness.

One of the crucial Christian tenets is that no soul is truly lost -- there is hope for everyone. Which, in return, also means that we may run into some people in heaven who have been thorough assholes while they lived on Earth.

syzygy