New Max Thomas forum!

All things Max Thomas

Moderator: jam

jam
Doctor Doctor

New Max Thomas forum!

Post by jam » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:57 am

All right, seeing that I've been made the moderator here, I better hurry and make the first post to try to explain what this is about.

For starters, here's a transcript of a recent e-mail exchange I had with Max Thomas:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 8. marts 2007 12:02:32
To: "Jakob Møller"
Subject: Re: Message from Jakob (jam)

Dear Jakob,

Many thanks for your e-mail. I'm sorry to be so slow replying - it's complicated, but I can't get to my server when I'm at work, and I have little opportunity to get to it when I am at home, for various reasons, so I've only just read your message today.

What an interesting idea....why not? Go ahead, Jakob. Will try to send you a fuller reply soon.

My best wishes,
Max

----- Original Message -----
To: "Max Thomas"
Subject: Message from Jakob (jam)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:59:07 +0100

Hi Max,

It's been a while (a little over two years in fact). Got your current e-mail from Dave in Coventry...

I hope this message finds you healthy, and that you are doing all right. I guess I just want to ask you - how would you feel about getting back on the CB board sometime soon?

I know there are people there who'd rather be without your 'religious ramblings' (so be it - no offense intended either way), but maybe we could have a separate forum - 'Max's Corner' or suchlike for the rest of us. I'm sure Thomas would gladly host it.

What do you think...?

Rgds
Jakob
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, this is it...the Max Thomas forum.

I don't have any firm opinions about what this is going to be like, by and large it's up to all of us, so feel free to start posting, y'all!

I'm sure that at least a few of you have questions that you are just dying to ask... :wink:

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:04 pm

What a cool idea a forum for Max! And even better that it's for a well-deserved guy.

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:19 am

This forum is a great idea. Look forward to Max joining in and we can discuss the good ol' days.
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Forum Maximum

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:04 pm

LOL I love the name! Maybe we should have a togaparty for Max?
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Good idea Jakob - look forward to hearing from Max!

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:56 am

What isMax up to these days?

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:08 am

Well, this is weird, but thanks to Jakob and Thomas for setting this up, and I thank those of you who have already shown an interest in "Forum Maximum"!!

Well, one question to answer.

I don't have much time now, but I will try and give a brief rundown of what's been happening in my life since I was last contributin regularly to the board. Watch this space!

My best wishes and LOVE to you all,
Max

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:02 am

Hi Max,

Thanks for taking the time to drop in. Looking forward to hearing more from you soon...

Rgds
Jakob

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:19 am

Greetings Max! Hope all is well with you. I have one question to ask regarding City Boy- Why was the record contract with Mercury/Phonogram not renewed after the Book Early LP? This was the bands best selling album, some momentum had been built with the hit 5705. It seems to me that the switch in record labels came at a bad time and did a lot of damage to you guys. I don't know if Atlantic did much to promote City Boy or the two albums the band recorded for the label. You have touched on the fact previously about the world political situation at the time and the punk movement in the music world. Those two factors caused problems for the band also. For me, I've always thought you guys would have been better off staying with Mercury/Phonogram. They might have done a better job promoting Day The Earth Caught Fire after the success of Book Early. Anyhow, would be great to read your comments/thoughts on the topic.
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

New Max Thomas forum!

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:07 pm

I've always felt that the punk/new wave movement killed off a lot of promising bands back then. Perhaps in a parallell universe the punk never really got off the ground and CB became an arena band for better or worse. Wish I had rather lived in that timeline than this though! Hope you're alright and hope to hear from you soon.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Max Thomas
Band Member

Post by Max Thomas » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:23 am

Thursday March 29th.2007

Well, some of you may have wondered why I suddenly stopped contributing to the CB website back in 2005.

When I first got the job at Bath College at the end of 1999, I was taken on by a guy called Joe Bennett, a very nice man and an excellent guitarist (he’s written books on learning different styles of guitar playing), who was head of the Music section at the college at the time. He was absolutely delighted to have me on board, mainly because of my background and experience in the music business, and within no time, he had me teaching music technology (sequencing on computers), composition skills, production techniques, recording skills – just about everything associated with what I know how to do, and what I enjoy doing. It was a part-time job – I had left full-time teaching in order to devote more time to my own music – and, enjoyable as this job was, I didn’t want it to become full-time for the same reason.

As some of you will recall, it was around this time that my marriage started to disintegrate, but I was still living in the family home, and my diminished income didn’t affect things too much. For a variety of reasons, it was easier at that time for me to use my College e-mail address as my main one, and this is what I did throughout the time that I worked there.

I think it was in 2001 that Joe Bennett got a job as Head of Music at Bath Spa College (which now has full University status). Shortly after he got it, he suggested to me that I should apply for a job there, as he was effectively setting up a completely new department, and he wanted me there to do what I had been doing at the college. Now this is one of those things that happen in life and you can look back and say, without any shadow of a doubt, that you took the wrong decision (as I’ve said elsewhere – maybe like the events preceding the split in City Boy). I am not a subscriber to the sentiment of “I regret nothing.” I don’t mind admitting that there are many things I can look back on in my life and say to myself that I wish I hadn’t done this thing, or I wish I had done that thing, or whatever – especially since I became a Christian.

Anyway, here I was, being offered work in what we call over here Higher Education (as opposed to Further Education – the work I was doing at Bath College), but I guess I felt so happy with what I was doing at the College that I turned the offer down.

With Joe gone, there followed major changes in the Music section. Not only did many staff move on and new ones arrive, but the Creative Arts area was completely re-structured, and the whole ethos changed. As all this was happening, my marriage came to an end, and in September 2001 I moved out of the family home without (as I have stated elsewhere) staking any claim on the very nice house we owned in Bath. I immediately asked for more hours at the college, but I was gradually being edged out of the lecturing that I had been doing by the new full-timers, and my request was repeatedly turned down over the next couple of years. Finally, by the end of the academic year 2005, I decided to resign to seek more regular employment. Rents in Bath are astronomical, and I was determined to support Juniper Uzele, my working partner, and her son Uvonj, so that we could continue working together, and that’s what I still do!
Staying in Bath is part of our vision, so we have not considered moving elsewhere. I’ve been mainly doing secondary supply teaching since then (11-16), with the occasional short-term contract. It’s tough, but I have always worked with young people – they are so disaffected nowadays – but through the grace of God I reach and can then teach many of them. We still live hand-to-mouth, literally, but God sustains us, through all sorts of people who support us when they can…as many of you have. Thank you all. I won’t forget, and don’t worry, you will get all that you gave back – and more – one day. You wait and see!!!

Hence my [email protected] e-mail address became redundant.

We are anticipating God doing a huge miracle (I’m talking BIG MONEY here) which will enable us to really step out and get our ministry works going properly. Visit Juniper’s website, or look back in the archives of the City Boy website if you’re interested. She has arms all around the world: people she supports, counsels, guides, comforts and encourages. She writes extraordinary poetry, and deeply moving music. Aside from all this, she is a fashion connoisseur, a beauty expert, and a quite superb cook. It’s very frustrating for her that she is not allowed to take gainful employment in this country. Some of you might say that I have been talking about this “miracle” for more than five years now, and you’d be right… You wait and see!!!…..Anyway, I’ve said enough for one day – it’s taken me a couple of days to find time to write this and I’d better send it before it becomes unreadably long (no, I don’t mean illegibly long – rebuking the spellcheck!)

Finally, if this Forum is going to be what that implies, please don’t hesitate, any of you, to say what you think. I can take it, believe me, so…bring it on!!!!

Love you all,
Max
Just seen the questions recently posted - give me a couple of days!

rito
El Presidente

Post by rito » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:27 am

Hello Max!

Good to hear from you again, and thank you for telling the tale... it's really an interesting read - hm, that sounds strange - another man's life should not be "an interesting read". I mean, that it I (and I think most of the people on this board) am interested in reading, what is happening to you.

Well, things don't sound so bad for you right now. Miracle or no miracle - nobody knows what will happen, but I wish you all the best.

Besides your personal life - which really has it's fair share of ups for you and downs I have to say - are you working on any new music?

ciao
thomas

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:48 pm

Hello Max,

Thank you for sharing that tale with us. I have been a City Boy fan for a long long time but only recently become a member here so I haven't heard anything about what you have been doing lately. Glad to hear that things seem to be going in a better direction for you now, must have been a hard time to go through with the divirce and the problems at work.

"Je ne regrette rien", no I don't think I can sign that either there are a lot of decisions in life that I regret as well but life goes on and we just have to try and make the best of what we have, right.

Is music still a big part of your life and how do you feel about the music buisness today?

Best Regards,
Martin

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Hey Max!

Just wanted to say thank you for keeping us up to speed on what's going on with you. You checking in every once in a while was always a very nice bonus of this lovely little internet community!

All the best of luck with your present ventures, Max!

Geir :D
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)