Review the latest movie you have seen

Music is not everything...
MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Review the latest movie you have seen

Post by MartinS » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 am

Rented Synecdoche New York yesterday. Wow........ 9.5 out of 10

It is quite the experience. The film is rather surreal and I do not really know what it is about yet. I have a theory but I will have to see it a second time to see if my view of what is happening holds up.

On the surface it is a film about a theater director who sets up a very ambitious project (a parallel to Kaufman himself perhaps) directing his first self penned piece, a play about everything.

Fantastic directorial debut from Charlie Kaufman. There are tons of details everywhere. Very easy to miss a detail here and there so seeing it a second time soumds like the thing to do. I will gladly do so as I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Re: Review the latest movie you have seen

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Another surreal film is Franklyn. It's not the most recent film I saw as I rented it earlier this summer. The movie takes place in two parallell realities, modern day London and a surreal place called Meanwhile City. MC is a place where you gotta have a religion. What kind of religion doesn't matter as long as it is a religion. Some worship washing machines while others worship manicure and strange beards. The only thing that is not permitted is to be an atheist. If you are that the police-force called Clerics will hunt you down. This is also a directorial debut although the directors name eludes me at the moment.

The latest two new movies I've seen is Knowing and Wolverine. Knowing is probably director Alex Proyas' (The Crow, I Robot) darkest movie so far. If you like surreal movies I also recommends his Dark City. Knowing is the story of John Koestler (Nicolas Cage) and his young son Caleb. 50 years earlier a time capsule was buried outside Caleb's school. Caleb and his class-mates each gets an envelope from the capsule. Each enevelope contains a drawing by the class of 59 depicting how they think the future will look like. Except for Caleb. His enevelope contains a paper with seemingly random numbers scribbled on it. John soon finds out a pattern. That they are dates, longitudes and latitudes of accidents and disasters. All but three has already happened. John gets more and more obsessed by solving this mystery. It's a story with apocalyptic themes. The end is quite depressing but the movie is well worth seeing.

I don't know if you have seen The X-Men trilogy but Wolverine is both a solo joint and a prequel to those movies. As you probably already know, Wolverine/Logan is one of Marvel Comics popular characters, a so called super hero. Here you are going to follow his origin of which you have only seen short flashbacks in the previous movies. You get to follow him from his childhood in the canadian 1840's to the time before he joined The X-Men. You'll get to see how and why he got his adamantium skeleton. Logan is of course still portrayed by Hugh Jackman but Victor/Sabretooth is now played by Liev Schrieber which I now think was an excellent choice. William Stryker has now been changed from Brian Cox to Danny Huston, probably because they needed a younger actor as this story predates the earlier ones. If you enjoy other super hero comic book hero movies you will probably enjoy this one too.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 am

I have not seen any of those movies. I am not interested in Superhero movies (I usually get borde by them, I do not know why). The other ones sound interesting though.

Saw "Valkyria" the other evening. It is a movie about an assasination attempt on Hitler by a group of military and politicians, based on a true story. Beatitully directed by Brian Singer. Tom Cruise does a very convicing job as a war wounded officer who believes he is doing his country a great service by trying to overthrow the current regime.
Very interesting movie even though you know the outcome of it beforehand.

I would give it 8 out of 10

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Funny you say you don't like superhero-movies as Bryan Singer has already directed three superhero-movies before Valkyrie. They are the first two X-Men and Superman Returns. The latter unfortunately not that good but the X-Men flicks are excellent.

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:37 am

Brian Singer has also done a favorite movie of mine: The Usual Suspects.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I've recently seen another movie with a bit of surreal theme. Although it happened to be a childrens movie this time, namely the animated feature Coraline, directed by Henry Selick (A Nightmare Before Christmas) with Dakota Fanning doing the voice of Coraline and Teri Hatcher her mother and the evil witch. Other voices we hear are Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders and Ian McShane. The film is based on a book by Neil Gaiman with the same name. Just like with Stardust and Mirror Mask (which I also recommend, I'm especially fond of MM) they both play out in the real world and a more surreal parallell reality. This movie is not CGI like most animated movies of today but with puppets like in a A Nightmare or Wallace & Gromit. I saw the behind the scenes features first which made me appreciate the movie even more. Although made with classical stop motion technology, the characters move very life-like. The production design is also excellent and there are some scenes that are truly beautiful. Maybe you have children and thus don't need an excuse to rent a kid's movie. Not that I excused myself either though because I like stuff like that anyway. You see my favourite genres are the more imaginative ones, sci-fi, horror and fantasy. It does happen occasionally that I watch other genres too, western, dramas, war, action, thrillers and comedys.

At the moment I look mostly forward to Sam Raimi's return to horror Drag Me To Hell, Dario Argento's Mother Of Tears, the latest Harry Potter and in the next few months James Cameron's comeback Avatar. I will probably get an opportunity to return to them later.

- Rod Serling

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:22 pm

I'll come with a Halloween special soon but as I still have one film left I'll wait a day or two more. Last week a batch of new movies was released here in Sweden in the horror genre.

They are going to be the following I'm going to write about:

Stan Helsing

Slayer

Book Of Blood

My Bloody Valentine (remake)

Trick 'r Treat

The Last House On The Left (remake)

The Hills Run Red

UPDATE

Okey. I'll finally got around to write about last weeks batch. I'll start with Stan Helsing and Trick 'r Treat simply because they are the only movies that actually takes place on Halloween. Stan Helsing however is not a real horror movie but just another of those by now tiresome parody movies. Stan is the descendant of Abraham van Helsing famous monster killer (yes, the same as from Bram Stokers novel). Turns out that Stan is not at all like his famous fore-father but more of a stoner and womanizer. A few scenes are a bit fun but on a whole the movie is completely expendable. Trick 'r Treat on the other hand is a lot better. The movie is directed by Michael Dougherty (co-writer of X-Men 2) and produced by Bryan Singer (here we go again!! :D ) which is a guarantee for some quality at least. The film is an anthology with four separate stories but contrary to Creepshow or The Twilight Zone, Dougherty chose to weave them together instead. Strangely enough this works rather well and makes it different from most other short story/novella kind of films. There are twists and turns that makes it more interesting but it also has the kind of black humor that is so closely associated with these kinds of films. The leading actors are Anna Paquin, Brian Cox and Dylan Baker. On a side note, there's also a documentary about Halloween. As you probably already know the holiday has ancient european roots in itself. However, the tradition of costumes and trick or treat turned out to be not as old as you might think. Originally they used turnips instead of pumpkins as they didn't have pumpkins over here a hundred years ago or so. But the tradition was carried over the atlantic by immigrants and it was in America they changed over to pumpkins instead as it was more practical.

I suggest you skip The Hills Run Red and Slayer. They are both low-budget movies, the first even made for television. Some kids are searching for a long lost cultish snuff-movie. The only name I recognized in the cast was William Sadler who played the film-maker of the snuff-movie. Slayer is a vampire-flick taking place in the jungles of South America. Casper Van Dien plays the leader of a military unit that gets attacked by vampires in broad daylight while on some mission down there. According to the natives they have known about them for centuries but they had never before become as fierce and aggressive as now in modern times. The reason for this you won't learn until the end of the movie. This film feels more than an action adventure than a horror movie but nonetheless it is better than the slasher movie. It's okay as a popcorn flick but nothing you will long to revisit later.

About the remakes, I can't remember if I ever saw the originals, maybe I did long ago but if so I have forgot about it. Which probably is a bit sad especially with The Last House On The Left as it was originally directed by legendary horror-movie director Wes Craven (who is still involved but as producer this time). At the beginning of the movie a psycho killer named Krug is being transported to prison but is unfortunately being freed by his lover and his brother. In a house by the lake lives a family with a teenage daughter named Mari. While in town to meet her friend Paige they meet a boy named Justin who offers them to follow him to the local motel for some weed. Turns out that Justin is the son of Krug and soon the two girls are taken hostages by the three psychopaths. This movie feels a bit like Cape Fear, innocent people gets in the clutches of dangerous and murderous psychopaths. It's much about survival in a sudden and unexpected situation, more like a thriller than a slasher movie. My Bloody Valentine is more of a traditional slasher movie with a silent and masked killer like Jason or Michael Myers. It starts 10 years earlier with a mine accident. A mine worker named Harry Warden is the only survivor. When he wakes from his coma he goes on a murder rampage and kills 22 people. Tom (Jensen Ackles), Sarah (Jaime King) and Axel (Kerr Smith) are the only survivors of a bunch of teenagers having a party in the mines. Harry is thought to have been shot and killed by the sheriff and his deputies. Ten years later Tom returns to his hometown for the first timesince the traumatical events a decade earlier. His father who owned the mines had recently passed and Tom returns to sell the mines and make some closure. But it is not only Tom who returns but Harry too to finish off what he left behind ten years earlier. I'll say no more as to not give away too much of the plot here. A nice surprise was to see veteran Tom Atkins return to the genre. I don't I have seen him for 25-30 years now. Both are worth seeing but I recommend My Bloody Valentine more because it is more of a Halloween movie while the first is more of a thriller.

Book Of Blood is based on two short stories by Clive Barker (Hellraiser). Along with Trick 'r Treat this is the only other movie that touches the subject of the supernatural. However, that is the only thing they have in common. Book Of Blood is much more built up on a spooky athmosphere and more slowly narrated. It takes place in an old house where many mysterious deaths has taken place in the past. The house is it turns out, a kind of crossroads between our world and the next. The leading parts are played by Jonas Armstrong (the latest Robin Hood-series) and Sophie Ward. We also see Doug Bradley (Pinhead) in a smaller part.

If you only plan to see one or two movies I suggest you choose between Book Of Blood, My Bloody Valentine and Trick 'r Treat.
Last edited by Robin_Shadowes on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Rod Serling

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:21 am

I saw a horror movie last night in preparation for Halloween....

The spanish movie [rec]. It is about a tv-team that are doing a program about firemen. The film itself is seen through the tv-teams camera. So most of the time you see the reporter on the screen. The film begins slowly with them passing time at the firedepartement, doing interviews, playing basketball etc.
After a while there is an alarm, tenants in an appartmentbuilding have heard screams from an old woman. A policeman and three firemen are called to the spot. The tv team follw as the firemen help the police to open the door. Inside they find a rabid woman. After this it gets more and more freaky and bloody.
I do not want to say too much as it might spoil the experience for you.
The film was very scary. The documentary feel helped to get you involved in the story.

If you can take freaky, bloody films then this is a very good one. I would give it 8 out of 10 points. Highly recommended if you can stomach it.

PerG
Heavyweight

Post by PerG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:43 pm

"Mary and Max" is an unusual animated film. It's made in Australia and I don't know if it has made its way to Europe or US yet. Mary is an 8 year old girl living in Melbourne and Max is a 44 y/o living in New York and by chance, they become penpals and best friends. Their odd relationship is narrated with strange side characters and happenings. It's a story that's told with a rather drastic sense of humor which is evolving in to a rather tragic, not Disney-like, finish.

malinhardly
Momma's Boy

Post by malinhardly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 am

This movie was seriously one of the biggest surprises me came.Mary and Max is a love conceived, surprisingly inventive piece of animation as craftsmanship is matched only by the emotional resonance.