The photo thread

Music is not everything...
bertrand
Mr Shoes

Re: The photo thread

Post by bertrand » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:34 am

Nice picture Robin-I love these old "daguerrotypes" as we call them
It's always fascinating to imagine these places one hundred years ago.That's why I love all these stories and movies about travelling in time
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:46 pm

bertrand wrote:Nice picture Robin-I love these old "daguerrotypes" as we call them
It's always fascinating to imagine these places one hundred years ago.That's why I love all these stories and movies about travelling in time

When it comes to the Paris picture I wish I had one of those devices Rick Deckard has in Blade Runner. Just to go into the picture like that, enhancing it and cleaning it up. If we had a device like that we would be able to see what the man and the shoe-shine boy actually looked like. Maybe one day not too far away that will become reality. I also like time travel movies or novels. I like Ray Bradbury's A distant sound of thunder. It's the story where the expression "the butterfly effect" emanates from.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Robin_Shadowes wrote:Since some of you on this forum are interested in photography I thought I could add these two articles about the two oldest photographies preserved. The first is a street-view from Paris taken by the famous Louis Daguerre himself. It's dated 1838. Maybe Bertrand want to see what his capital looked like 173 years ago?

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/10/27/fir ... man-being/

/

It would be cool if bertrand could get a current photo in the same spot in Paris to illustrate the changes.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm

I just found some beautiful stormcloud photos. They are both majestic and spectacular although some of them are a bit spooky I still see the beauty in them. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. They have at least added to my desktop slideshow. :D

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2011/08 ... cloud.html

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

PerG
Heavyweight

Post by PerG » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:55 am

Robin_Shadowes wrote:I just found some beautiful stormcloud photos. They are both majestic and spectacular although some of them are a bit spooky I still see the beauty in them. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. They have at least added to my desktop slideshow. :D

Wow, that's impressive! Wouldn't want them passing by my house though..!

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:02 pm

PerG wrote:
Robin_Shadowes wrote:I just found some beautiful stormcloud photos. They are both majestic and spectacular although some of them are a bit spooky I still see the beauty in them. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. They have at least added to my desktop slideshow. :D

Wow, that's impressive! Wouldn't want them passing by my house though..!

Nope. But they are beautiful and majestic though. I collected some photos from the vulcano eruption in Chile earlier. They are also very cool but I wouldn't want to live near an active volcano either. :D

- Rod Serling

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Here are some of Steiglitz' cloud shots, as well as some others. He is one of my favorite photographers.

Too damn hard...

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 am

Some more of my pictures are being used for advertising for the reenactor's group. I have to get a scanner so I can get these pictures up!

Jo :D
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Fri May 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I stumbled across a set of stunningly photographies from the post-civil war era in US. Showing the west as we today mostly see through Hollywood movies. These amazing photographies was taken by one Timothy O'Sullivan, who sadly died of tubercolosis in 1882. He was only 42 years old. Considering how primitive his equipment was, to set up his camera could take several minutes, the result was nothing less than spectacular. There has supposedly survived thousand of his pictures and Daily Mail has published some of them. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -time.html

- Rod Serling