The photo thread

Music is not everything...
MartinS
Car-Eating Man

The photo thread

Post by MartinS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:09 am

Is anyone here interested in photography. I have rediscovered my interest since I recently bought a DSLR (a used Canon 400D) and got the possibility to use my lenses who have been collecting dust for a couple of years.

Recently I came across the idea of light-painting. Basically, opening up the shutter for long exposures and using different lightsources to paint with light.

Here is a self portrait that I did using light painting. The exposure was 175 seconds long and I used a booklamp (diod) and a flashlight to create it.

It is me in a chair that I refurbished during my vaction.

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Re: The photo thread

Post by MartinS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 am

A larger version of my new avatar:

It is another example of a long exposure and using different lights to paint the picture.

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:58 am

Hi Martin,

These are amazing - for the uninitiated, how did you achieve these effects?

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks Andy.

I put the camera on a tripod and used manual settings. Exposuretime set to BULB (keeping the shutter open as long as I want) and the f number set to 22. Using a remote control I opened the shutter and started painting with light.
In the case of the chair portrait I sat down in the chair and painted my outlines with a booklamp. After that I stood up and used a flashlight to get the chair visible.
In the case of the "ghost" picture I started by leaning my head towards the CD case and used the booklight to get my face visible. After that I used the flashlight to get the CD cases visible.
When I was done I used the remote control to close the shutter and end the exposure. They were very long in both cases so the room was really dark.

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the details - very inventive!

Best wishes,

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

PerG
Heavyweight

Post by PerG » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 am

I always forget to check this part of the board... I'm interested in photography but I never learn enough to create something sustantial. And I don't have an SLR camera... yet! Only have a fairly advanced compact one.

Cool effects, Martin! :cheers:

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:15 am

Martin...beautiful! A friend has just been encouraging me to get back into taking pictures, and I am going to try some of your techniques. Thanks so much for not only posting, but sharing how you accomplished them!

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:07 pm

It was pretty cool effects! You had us visit this subforum at least. I had completely forgot I started a thread three years ago. I think that speak volumes of how often I visit these other boards... :cheers:
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:43 pm

Hey Martin,

Wondering if you have any other cool photos or techniques you want to share. I always like to see other people's work.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Hey Jo,

I have not tried that many teqniques. I want to try HDR (High Definition Range) where you take several photos with differing exposures and combine them to one to get a wider range of colors/shades. I would also like to try Infrared photography but I would need to buy a filter to do that. Panoramas are always nice but I have not done any with my SLR yet.

But here is a fun little experiment I did a while back (using my previous camera, a Canon Powershot S5 IS).

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:20 pm

I will add some old Panoramas done with a simple comapct camera from HP that had a panorama mode which made it very simple to take panoramas.

Panoramas are a great way to be able to show a wider view than what is normally possible by stiching together two or more images to make a larger image.

This one is overlooking Trier in Germany (the weather was not very suited for panorama that day :-) ) :

And this one shows the Amphitheater from roman times in Trier, Germany:

Here is one from the Island of Tjorn on the west coast of sweden:

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 am

MartinS wrote:Hey Jo,

I have not tried that many teqniques. I want to try HDR (High Definition Range) where you take several photos with differing exposures and combine them to one to get a wider range of colors/shades. I would also like to try Infrared photography but I would need to buy a filter to do that. Panoramas are always nice but I have not done any with my SLR yet.

But here is a fun little experiment I did a while back (using my previous camera, a Canon Powershot S5 IS).

Who won? :P
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:18 am

I won againt that tiny little man of course :wink:

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 am

MartinS wrote:I won againt that tiny little man of course :wink:

I never doubted it. You so had the guy.

You have a good eye, good skills, and a good sence of humor, too. Thanks for sharing your stuff. I especially like that painiting with light photograph. Puts me in mind of when Picasso did light paingings for, I think, a Life magazine series. Very cool.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 pm

Lightpainting was very fun to experiment with, I have a few ideas that I would like to try when given time. Time is not always on your side when you have small children so lightpainting is a good way to use the time you have (when they are asleep).
I am waiting for a flash extension cable to show up, when that happens I will try to take some Macro shots. I do not have a Macro lens yet but I do have some cheap macro extension tubes that seem to be able to do the trick. I have had a bit of trouble with the available light though and using the flash on the camera is not an option as the light will not fall on all the subject. So with a handheld Speedlight and my 50 mmm lens extended with tubes I should be able to capture macro shots.

I just started to get more into photography and will attend an evening class in october to try to learn a little bit more.