Global Warming

Music is not everything...
al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:18 am

Interesting link Thomas.

I have been aware of the "dimming" process and how it has tended to slow the warming side of the equation. Dimming (cooling) has slowed about 80% of the warming process for decades.

As the article states, it is the particulate matter (pollution) which has caused global dimming and as cars and industry become "cleaner" and emit less particulate matter, the dimming will slow, allowing the warming to speed up to its "true" pace.

How dimming works is like this;

We all know that crushed ice in your drink makes it colder than cubed ice. This is because crushed ice has more surface area per the same total volume of ice than does cubed. Therefore, with more surface area, the ice is more "exposed" to the liquid drink and radiates more of the coldness to the drink, faster.

With particulate air pollution collecting in the atmosphere and ultimately into clouds, the water vapor sticks to the "dirt" just as dew, or condensation does over a cool night on a dirty car windshield.

Thing is, water droplets are able to spread themselves out more thinly when it can stick to dirt, making more total water-droplet surface area. Water droplets reflect sunlight back into space acting like billions of tiny mirrors and with the equal amount of water in a cloud broken into more, smaller water droplets (like the crushed ice) then there is more surface area and more reflection.

The dimming (cooling) phenomenon has given the skeptics fuel for their anti-warming fire, but now it is becomming less a factor with cleaner fossil fuel burning. Things should really begin to heat up now.

Oh, on a personal level, I'm not worried about global warming. I'm old and I have no children, so I don't care what happens here when I'm gone. Besides, I live in the north and can't take cold weather anymore, so "come on warming!"

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:56 am

al wrote:Oh, on a personal level, I'm not worried about global warming. I'm old and I have no children, so I don't care what happens here when I'm gone. Besides, I live in the north and can't take cold weather anymore, so "come on warming!"

Hi Al, I guess you forgot to add some :wink: :wink: :wink: to this sentence....
Right ?

cheers
Piet
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:32 pm

You better believe it:-))))) ...er... :wink: :wink:

You know what we need? A beer mug or beer drinking smiley :roll: Now that would explain a lot of things.

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:07 am

Right Al ! :!:
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

PerG
Heavyweight

Post by PerG » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:32 am

Something like... ImageImage

or perhaps just a bag over the head...
Last edited by PerG on Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Court
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Rob Court » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:33 am

Clever Per! :D
"Poor Kid Was Cut Off In His Prime"
"Almost A Legend In His Time"

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:55 am

:-J

Rob Court
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Rob Court » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:10 am

Another good one Jakob. You guys continue to amaze! 8)
"Poor Kid Was Cut Off In His Prime"
"Almost A Legend In His Time"

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:23 pm

I can't explain it but suddenly, I have a stong desire for a cold one?

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Big heat over N. America this week. Sizzling even here in the north. Seems England is getting it too.

Get ready for the big Earth meltdown! TDTECF

LONDON - Judges removed their wigs inside the courts. Guards at Buckingham Palace were allowed to stand in the shade. Some workers wore shorts to the office. Britain was facing one of its hottest days on record Wednesday - so hot the pavement melted on the roadways.

Other parts of Europe sizzled, too, but this is a country particularly ill-equipped for its infrequent brushes with sweltering temperatures.

The mid-afternoon temperature at Heathrow Airport was 95.5 degrees. The record is 101 degrees in Faversham, Kent, on Aug. 10, 2003.

The temperature south of London hit 96.6 degrees, the hottest temperature ever recorded in Britain in July.

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:08 am

:lol: I was watching the news last night, havent got used to them using celcius over here, Im still working on Farenheit so when they kept saying it was going to hit 35 degrees and then I saw the people with their shoes getting melted on the tarmac....just the way they were going on about the heat....so I was thinking that 35c must be about 120f.

WIMPS :lol: ....its not even 100f :shock: ......sorry, its just after spending so long in CA and then especially the last 5 years in the Mojave Desert where it can hit 100f by 8am....well 97f by 2pm just isnt a big deal.

The thermometer on my balcony yesterday hit 118f but that was in direct sun, it wasnt air heat, the concrete on the patio however could not be walked on in bare feet until gone 11pm. My dog wont go out for a walk.....WIMP, she'd die if I was moving back to CA :shock: mind you Im not sure how shell do moving to UK now, we'll be in Surrey where I guess had the highest temperature in UK yesterday.

malinhardly
Momma's Boy

Re: Global Warming

Post by malinhardly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:03 am

Recently I just reading this forum at that time I just this found artical, I think many of the critics of the consensus view on global warming have disagreed, in whole or part, with the scientific consensus regarding other issues, particularly those relating to environmental risks, such as ozone depletion , DDT , and passive smoking .