Tinnitus?

Music is not everything...
Andy H
Heavyweight

Tinnitus?

Post by Andy H » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:16 am

The curse of the music lover... does anyone else suffer from Tinnitus and any tricks for dealing with it? What makes it worse?

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:48 pm

Got it!

I can't stand buzzing or humming noises, basically any constant sound where the pitch doesn't change like a fan or somethng, because it really makes the ringing sound kick in.

I don't know of any tricks to help it. From what I've read, there is no cure, but there are supposed to be things one can do to help alleviate it, but all those remedies seem to be in advertisements where they want you to by a book or something and damn it, I refuse to pay those greedy %#@&^%!!!!!!!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:32 pm

I found this on line, I dont know if any of them work though but probably worth a try.

http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies ... -sense.htm

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Al,

Thanks - good to know I am not alone!!!!!

Jackie,

Thanks for the link, I was aware of the alcohol as a potential cause (no chance of that being fixed...!!!) and the aspirin - but there were some other good tricks I had not heard of - many thanks!!!

Incidentally, for the last few years, I have always worn ear-plugs at any gigs I have been at. I can guarantee the sound is always better, once you get used to wearing them - try it!!!

Andy.

PerG
Heavyweight

Post by PerG » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:22 pm

Yep... my right ear is beeping in a constant high pitch. This was definitely created in my youth in the rehearsal room we had.

We borrowed a dB-meter from school and did a study back then. The room was about 9-10 m2 and the constant sound level at my ear was around 106 dB. Needless to say, that is not good to stand in for 3 hours... The peak level at the drums was 130 dB.

We were young and invulnerable (read: ignorant :evil: ) so we failed to do something about it. It was "cool" that it was loud.. :shock: :?

So now I have to live with it and it's annoying as hell. Apart from the noise, it's frustrating to try to locate where high pitched or humming tones are coming from.

Ear-plugs are now standard for me AND the kids. We bought those music ear-plugs which lets in the "right" frequencies. Works good! :D

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:46 am

Per,

I probably did my damage the same way. Funnily enough, I always used to stand on to the left of the drummer so my right ear was getting the cymbals, but my left ear is much worse...

106dB is high. 85dB is the legal action limit here for providing ear protectors in the work place. At 90dB they are compulsory.

There is probably a lot more awareness now about noise and the damage it can cause - I know for example that clubs are not allowed play as loud as they did in my teenage years. Hopefully our kids will learn from our mistakes!

Andy.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:47 pm

Getting back to potential fixes, I saw a t.v. documentary or maybe just a news reel..? about a local woman with tinnitis and she went to a local doctor who was trying some new technique. It was some sort of ear plug that emitted a low pitch sound that had a frequency to counter the one of her ear noise. Supposedly, this counteracted the noise she had or was constantly hearing and then, aften several years of wearing the device, the tinnitis was cured!

I saw this a few years ago or more and I don't recall any other details, but I have to wonder if there is more info available on this potential technology?

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:50 am

Al, if you look at the links within the link I posted there is some info in there about this.

If your tinnitus is accompanied by some hearing loss, a hearing aid may be helpful. Many people have also benefited from tinnitus maskers, devices resembling hearing aids that play a sound more pleasant than the internal noise produced by the tinnitus.

A newer device is a tinnitus instrument, which is a combination of hearing aid and masker. Auditory habituation is a therapeutic technique, that uses a device that generates a certain type of white noise that is quieter than the tinnitus sound; the brain learns to ignore the tinnitus noise. You must be tested and fitted for any of these devices so that their sounds will cover the particular frequency of noise you hear.
----------------------------------------------------------

I cant imagine what this must be like, I go a bit nuts when Im in a plane and my ears pop :(

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:09 pm

Ah yes, that must well be the same treatment that I once heard about. It seems to make sense and probably would be the best solution at this time. Thanks Jackie.

malinhardly
Momma's Boy

Re: Tinnitus?

Post by malinhardly » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:06 am

Tinnitus can be described as ringing ears and other head noises that are perceived in the absence of any external noise source. An estimated 1 in 5 people experience some degree of tinnitus. Tinnitus is classified into two forms objective and subjective.