Sanity

Music is not everything...
al
Heavyweight

Sanity

Post by al » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:46 pm

With regard to my post, "Which album are you?" where I seemingly reply with a plea of insanity, I wish to respond, that I am not insane!

Seriously.

While I may be unhappy with the outcome of that which mankind causes us to endure, especially that of modern society and the "insane" conceptual quest for material and monetary "individualism," I ernestly decry the notion that my quest for a hopeful humanity is not of sound mind!

I recall a Japanese play entitlted "The Sad Genius," which debuted something like five years ago and had at the time enlighted my personal comprehension of noneother than myself and the paradoxical understanding of life, living and eternal "existence." You see, it is universally accepted that knowledge is inversly related to that of mortal happiness.

I am here to tell you that while I may seemingly exist in a state of despair, I would never want anybody to feel pity or sadness regarding my consciousness. I feel that knowledge is a gift of necessary understanding and inference, while it is God, humanity and friendship which are a pure gift, freeing mortal existence of its bonds of unhappiness.

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:14 am

I didnt think you were insane :wink: ...you just sounded a bit down and maybe needed to be cheered up a little. And if I sounded as though I was being sympatheitc I apologize, I wasnt....maybe empathy would be the word though.

The song that I posted by the Kinks....it wasnt one of those songs that someone played for me once for a specific reason, what it means to me is that whatever is happening thats getting you down today, tomorrow is a new day, whatevers happened in the past you can look at it differently tomorrow if you want to, not through someone doing anything to change things and not through something happening in the 'world' that your in, wherever that may be but through your own natural ability to survive....it comes from you own spirituality....you just need to know how to reach it.

It took me half a lifetime to figure that out and I dont know if it makes sense but it keeps me going :?

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi Froggy!

There is no reason for you to appologize! I am thrilled with the post you had and the song lyrics by the Kinks, too. I am also very happy that you have become an active member of this forum and I look very forward to anything you contribute to it! Thank you for being here and thanks for your kindness, as well!

I guess I had become a bit concerned that my explaination of my personal feelings as they relate to the Jackson Browne album were not typical of how most people feel and i didn't want anybody to get the wrong impression.

I suppose that my long-term view of this world has become tainted by all the tragedy we read and hear about every day and all the bad things in the news. That and my personality style has always been of a pessimistic outlook which paradoxically, makes me more astute at decision making than that of the average person. So you see, good does come out of bad things!

Anyway, while I may not be happy with the world, I am happy with who I am and more importantly, thrilled with the friends in my life. Friends are life's greatest asset and you have a friend in me!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:06 pm

I think were most likely 'on the same page' here.....there are times were I have to mentaly 'switch off' from the outside world or I probably would go nuts....just lately has been kind of tough, I still cant speak German and only have 3 TV channels I can watch, 2 of them are news channels (CNN and BBC) and the other is the British Forces Broadcasting Service which has a combination of English and American TV shows....with a lot of military news inbetween....it can get a little much sometimes.... :?

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:32 pm

Wow! That is really odd about the t.v. channels situation! I have never been to Europe, so I don't know what the broadcasting scenerio is like...why only 3, not so good, channels? Is there an alternative where perhaps you are just waiting to get resolved? (satellite or cable...?)

I am not much for t.v. anyway. I probably spend time listening to music 4 to 1 in relation to the tube.

Good luck & keep me informed on the situation please!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:19 am

Theres plenty more channels...there just all in German :) Im working on getting satelite so I can receive more UK/US channels but its going to be a while before I can get that, the set up is a couple of hundred Euros and the monthly charges, for anything worthwhile is about 40-50 UK pounds a month (about $75) and Im still not working yet.....just voluntary.

I was in California for 15 years before coming here so you can imagine how many channels I used to have, I have to have something on in the background even if Im not watching it. Even just having it as background though I still hear it....too much news, I do listen to music or the radio sometimes but the radio is also BFBS so plenty of military updates and while I love music its sometimes just that 'hearing people talking'....again, my fault as I cant speak German yet so I dont get to speak to the neighbours, same as the shops....I started working voluntary at a dog shelter with the idea that they help me speak German and I train some of their dogs, hasnt quite happened that way....but their English is getting better :shock:

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:16 am

Al, my music and TV listening ratio is about 10-1.......in favour of the music of course. But, like you Froggy, i have to have it on, usually BBC News 24.
Stone me what a life.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:51 pm

I would have to say that the Reality shows have really chilled me to t.v., which we have discussed somewhere else here.

Froggy, I am curious as to why you left CA? Besides, why did you leave and go to Germany? Aren't you originally from the UK?

I have some family in CA, including the Buena Park/Annaheim area.

I lived in Orange County off and on a bit in my lifetime. It was ok, but I like Ohio quite a bit more.

Good luck on learning German! I hope everything works out for you there.

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:03 pm

Long stories as to why I went, as for why I came back, well I had been planning on coming back to UK since 97 but my daughter had been raised there and she wanted to stay, she was married though almost 2 years ago and so I decided then to come back but things changed a little (another long story) and I ended up moving to Germany, to be honest I dont know at this point if things are going to work out here, the dog trainer that i used to work for in California has asked me to operate a new in-kennel training facility in LA that he 'should' be opening in the New Year....then again Ive had an offer to live in Tenerife with my family....so things are a little up in the air and unsettled.
I lived all over the place when I was in CA, started off in Arcadia, then, W.Covina, Temple City, La Verne, Bev Hills, Santa Monica, Echo Park, Sun City and ended up in Apple Valley (Victorville area).
There was a lot more of the US that I wanted to see, I have a friend in W.Virginia and one in Connecticut, Ive promised myself I will get there one day, I also never made it to San Fransisco.....one day.
Oh and yes, Im originally from Liverpool UK.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:10 pm

One good thing about working in the training and/or kennel business, you should be able to find work just about anywhere.

Hey, ever think of living in Ohio? The seasons-especially fall- are amazing around here!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:52 pm

:) Never thought of Ohio before....maybe someday Ill get to see it.

The training can be a good living...well I do a bit too much for free because of the shelters Ive been involved in....and then theres the people who I know could really use some guidance with their dogs but cant pay the kind of prices my boss (and most other trainers in LA) used to charge, I was self employed and sub contracted to him last year so I had my own thing going on the side....he even helped me out with a couple of the training sessions, theres a few things we do that need 2 people....2 trainers. Unfortunately over here though, while I dont have a problem with training the dogs again its the language. Every time I sit down and try and study I lose concentration....its kind of hard to get motivated when I dont think Im going to be here for much more than a few more months. :?

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Sie sind erfahren im Zeitungsgeschäft und sind gewohnt, auf höchstem redaktionellen Niveau zu arbeiten. Sie kennen die Autoindustrie mit all ihren Facetten, sind aber ebenso vertraut mit Zuliefererthemen sowie den Herausforderungen des Autohandels. Sie lieben es, exklusive Nachrichten zu recherchieren und den Dingen in Gesprächen mit Topmanagern und Führungskräften dieser Branche auf den Grund zu gehen. Eine kritische Betrachtungsweise ist für Sie eine Selbstverständlichkeit, ebenso wie eine stilsichere Schreibe und hohe Flexibilität. Gute Englischkenntnisse sind Voraussetzung.

8)

Alright, I don't know what it says! But hey, maybe you can practice?

I understand about the motivation factor. It is tough to be willing to work at something as complex as learning a new language when as you say, chances are you won't stay there for too long. It's too bad you can't find a trainer/partner who is fluent in both English and German. That seems to be a possible solution.

Then again, and this applies to me in a big way this year for some reason, City Boy had it right with the song, Ambition! I've dropped mine into a road-side storm drain somewhere and now I can't function!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Well I kind of understood a little....something about being experienced in your job....in the car industry...:STEFAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

:lol:

With the training, Ive been recommended by the shelter to a few people and I could take an interpretor with me but I just havent done it, various reasons I guess, a couple of times its been too far away and I dont have a car....cant afford a car until I get a job....seems like I cant get a job unless I have a car.... :? Its okay....Im just going through a 'slump' right now, theres been a lot of changes over the last few months, just keep telling myself that a little stress just makes you more determined....eventually....once that 'ambition' kicks in again....and it will. :D