A Tornado....IN BIRMINGHAM?

Music is not everything...
Froggy
Car-Eating Man

A Tornado....IN BIRMINGHAM?

Post by Froggy » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:42 pm

Heard on the news there was a tornado in B/Ham....at first I thought B/Ham, Alabama (I think its in Alabama) but then I realized it was UK. So, Martin, Dave, hope your both okay.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:10 am

It seems to me, Froggy, that the weather everywhere, is becoming extraordinarily odd. I still say global warming is real, or at least changes are resulting due to man't influence. I live in Ohio, only 50 miles south of Lake Erie where the weather should be similar to Northern Europe and yet this summer has been so hot I would think I were in Florida.

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:16 pm

Funny you should say that, I was talking to a couple of friends in S.California and it seems that in Germany we are having the same weather patterns as theý are there, usually my sister (Tenerife-Spain) is about the same pattern as Cali....it seems that every time its really hot there its also really hot here, the days its rained over there its rained here...very wierd, I think your right about the warming.

Have to admit I was happily surprized at the above 100 degrees weve had here....lately more in the lower to mid 90's....Im not used to this humidity though...I forgot how bad that was. Last place I lived was Victorville (Mojave Desert) 0 humidity for the most part.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 am

The humidity in Ohio is pretty tough.

I've lived in S. Calif., Orange County, and I've been to the Mojave. Honestly and I'm sure every human would disagree with me on this, but it was just too much sun for me out west. I look forward to overcast days for a nice break from the oven light.

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:45 am

I really miss the heat....better if I was at the beach or the River or at my friends house in Palm Springs (shes got a great pool with a bar....!!). Only thing I really didnt like was when I was training dogs, last year I was working out of a place in Azusa so the heat and some humidity, horrendous for the dogs, from about 12 noon until about 4:30 we couldnt walk them on the street because it was too hot for their feet, Id have to get the AC going in the car for 15 minutes then drive them to a park so they could walk on the grass.

I guess its been up to 120 this last week in Barstow and about 115 in Victorville.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi all....the tornado didn't affect Coventry at all. Caused a lot of damage in Birmingham though, they reckon on 130 mph. I do happen to know someone who was in the vicinity at the time, he just stopped his car and laid low till it had passed. Apparently the last one in B/ham was in a similar spot, albeit in 1931 !
Stone me what a life.

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:11 am

Glad to hear your okay Dave and your friend too.
I remember in the late 80's there was a really bad storm that hit Liverpool, mainly on the coast, we 'lost' Formby Beach, the sea (well...the Mersey) had come right up and covered the sand dunes, the wind was unbelievable (although no tornado), If I remember right someone was killed, drowned I think after an alert was put out advising people to stay away from the coast....some of us just had to go out and see it though. :oops:

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:31 pm

Seems there's talk of demolishing some of the houses that were seriously damaged. Quite a few people have still not been allowed back into their homes either....must be the damaged ones.
Stone me what a life.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:49 pm

That brings back memories of some discussions we had here last year when the fires in California were destroying many homes; imagine losing your album and cd collections and other things of emotional value!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:31 am

al wrote:That brings back memories of some discussions we had here last year when the fires in California were destroying many homes; imagine losing your album and cd collections and other things of emotional value!

I was there then, hundreds that were evacuated from Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead came down to Victorvill college and Hesperia Lakes, I helped out a little at the Pet evac.site at the V/Ville fairgrounds, we had 700 animals there, 500 of them dogs, then about 150 cats, horses, chickens, pigs, goats!!!! I remember driving through the back roads around March last year (the road runs near Crestline from Hesperia and comes out in the Cajon Pass) all you could see was black everywhere.....so sad. I did go for a drive through before I left in October, a lot of it was still balckened but there were green shoots starting to come through the ground.
The night it started though I was driving south on the 15 going to a friends in La Verne to a party, the fires had already started on both sides of the freeway, we watched it that night spreading along the San Gabriel mountains north of LaVerne, Montclair....I had to be at work the next morning at 10am, I knew the 15 was shut down, called into work, I had to get back up into the desert so I figured Id go along the 10 and through Yucca Valley, then on the radio they said they blocked off the 10 going that direction so I doubled back headed for the 5 to go through Palmdale...all I could see was more balck smoke from the Simi fires....unbelievable, they never got the ones that started a couple of them...I got back to the desert some time that evening, I think I was driving for about 6 hours....usually took me 45 minutes at the most.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:20 am

Not been on for a week or two!

I'm fine thanks - the tornado hit about 3 or 4 miles as the crow flies, from me. Terrible mess......

A girlfriend of mine witnessed it and it really shook her up I can tell you. You had left work to buy some coffee and as she walked down the street, saw cars being blown across the road, turned around and saw the "twister" heading her way, so she ducked inside a shop for shelter.
When sh got back to hr work place, the roof had gone due to a very large tree falling onto it.

There are still may homes without roofs etc. and it will be at least a year before it is put straight.

England has about 30 tornados each year, though most are small and/or last such a short time that no damage is caused.

Martin
Car-Eating Man

Post by Martin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:59 pm

By the way, the last post was me! Had to clear my cookies and didn't realise I wasn't logged in!
Thank you - I love you all!

Froggy
Car-Eating Man

Post by Froggy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:04 am

:D I thought so, I hope your friend is now doing okay.