Blue Oyster Cult

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:11 am

Lee, on my vinyl copy the sound is uneven on all ten songs! But it is corrected on the 2001 remastered CD version (needless to say I think!).
... and out!

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:52 am

Mikael, I'll have to get the CD and see if it sounds any different. On the vinyl LP, the uneven mixing of the first three songs make the music sound like it's off in the background with an echo effect. Then with Stairway To The Stars, the sound straightens out and gets louder like it's right in front of you. I haven't noticed any uneven mixing on the rest of the album. It almost sounds like they could have made the album that way on purpose, but I've never known for sure.
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:18 pm

|
The remasters on the first 3 albums are much clearer and are without most of the dropouts. It's still not perfect, but that's what you get considering the conditions that it was recorded in. If you like the early BOC, then I recommend getting the remasters. I wish they'd get to "Imaginos" soon.
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

Steven
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Steven » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:20 pm

DJWheels wrote:|
I wish they'd get to "Imaginos" soon.

In all honesty I think Albert should be offered a chance to remix and remaster the album since he more or less had his baby taken away from him by the record company.
Wish I could be their Wongo king<BR>If I only knew the song to sing

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:46 pm

Steven wrote:
DJWheels wrote:|
I wish they'd get to "Imaginos" soon.

In all honesty I think Albert should be offered a chance to remix and remaster the album since he more or less had his baby taken away from him by the record company.

It's funny how one can learn about all of these other bands, unrelated to City Boy, from people from all over the world, ... and I thought I knew about everything there was to know about BOC. Thanks Steven, for some new info about Imaginos. I've got the rarities release which also has some historical tidbits that are not commonly known. I don't run in to too many people that know much of the details of BOC past and present. When I was in High School, I was the only one who knew the origins of the name, the insignia, etc.

I agree that Albert Bouchard should be involved in any attempt at remastering Imaginos, but seeing how the band and record company was towards him I doubt that it would happen.
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:57 am

DJWheels wrote:...I've got the rarities release which also has some historical tidbits that are not commonly known...

Dan,

What is this "rarities release", and where did you find it/where can I order it?
... and out!

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:39 pm

[email protected] wrote:
DJWheels wrote:...I've got the rarities release which also has some historical tidbits that are not commonly known...

Dan,

What is this "rarities release", and where did you find it/where can I order it?

[email protected],

It's under the name "STALK-FORREST GROUP" from Rhino Records Hand-made division and is numbered limited edition of 5000 (mine is #3431/5000).

Here's the link to see the details on the Rhino site. It looks like they'll ship it worldwide and some may still be available.

http://rhinohandmade.com/browse/Product ... umber=7716

It has the track "What is Quicksand?, I'm On The Lamb, Donovan's Monkey... and one called Curse Of The Hidden Mirrors. It's got a nice thick booklet with the whole saga of Stalk-Forrest Group - Soft White Underbelly - Blue Oyster Cult. ...and Yes, there are many songs written by Albert Bouchard (with Richard Meltzer) and a couple with Samuel Pearlman... Sandy, I suppose.

Let me know if you have a problem finding it.

~Dan
Last edited by DJWheels on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:46 pm

Thank you very much for the info, Dan!!
... and out!

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 am

Some sleazy, but nevertheless interesting :P, details I came across while reading an article in "Classic Rock" magazine (thanks, Geir). It is about why drummer Albert Bouchard was sacked in the summer of 1981.

Anyway, thought it may be of some interest for Cult fans around here.

Bouchard recalls his abrupt dismissal after a dozen years with the band: "We were going to England and, before we left, the guys said: "The band's wives don't want you to bring your girlfriend." They didn't like her and said she couldn't ride in the bus with the rest of us. So I said: "Okay, I'll just rent a car and drive around England, no problem. I'd never done it before, but how hard can it be? Well, it was hard, It's all confusing there and I got lost a few times."
After one tense show, when Bouchard didn't make it onto the stage until the last three songs, the band had enough. "After the gig, they started berating me about being late. I said some things I probably shouldn't have, and they canned me. Looking back at it, I probably could have handled it a lot better than attacking their manhood. Later on I apologized but the damage had already been done."
... and out!

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:23 pm

Thanks [email protected] (and geir) for this new bit of info in this ongoing saga of Albert Bouchard !

I'm not surpised to hear it though... and I bet Eric Bloom was one of the reasons for this confrontation. He seems to be in this for the business side of things and his desire to get more front-man attention. Albert probably did not get the credit for much of his contributions that made BOC what it had become.
I hung around after a recent BOC club gig in Santa Cruz, CA where I saw Eric walk right by fans to see how much T-Shirts were sold, counted some money and took off out the door avoiding eye contact with most of us... perhaps it's become a monotanous journey for him, but I wasn't getting any warm feeling from these guys compared to the way other bands show thanks to their die-hard fans. Albert once stopped to say a few words to us that had been waiting in line for over 2-3 hours (for a small club gig under the SWU moniker) (back in '79 when they were a bigger deal).

I'm still a fan and appreciate all era's of BOC.

Good info though... thanks for passing it on. (any more ?)

~D

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:30 am

DJWheels wrote:Good info though... thanks for passing it on. (any more ?)

Dan, here's a link I got from Jakob ("jam") about the band:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/1430

There is a lot of interesting info especially about the early formation years.

Enjoy! (I did it very much)
... and out!

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:51 am

[email protected], (Jakob),

Good article !! I've actually only skimmed over it just now, but I'll have to get into it when I have more time. It's quite long and seems to include much more detail about each song than what I've read in the past.

Thanks for passing it along... by the way, did you ever get your hands on the "Stalk Forrest Group" rarities release ?

~Dan

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:57 pm

I may be the one who dug up the link, but I'm not the BÖC expert here, just for the record...

Thanks for the mention, though! :P

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 am

DJWheels wrote:... by the way, did you ever get your hands on the "Stalk Forrest Group" rarities release ?

Dan, thanks for asking. I didn't order that CD after all. Some of these songs are included as bonus tracks - as you know - on the 2001 remastered "Blue Öyster Cult" CD, and I can't say I'm too excited over their material as "Stalk Forrest Group".

But Albert Bouchard's project, "The Brain Surgeons", is really interesting me. I just haven't taken the time yet to check where to get these CDs.
... and out!

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:29 am

I was checking the BOC website last night to check out some of their history facts and saw on the tour page that they will be at a club in Fremont California TONIGHT - which is only about 20 minutes from my house !!! $30..... but since Albert and Joe are no longer in the band, my interest is dropping with each passing year. I'm still thinking about it though.

~Dan