Another musical experience

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

hjalb
Car-Eating Man

Another musical experience

Post by hjalb » Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:41 am

Hi all.<BR>Today I stayed home because of a little problem with me stomack. I more or less had to sit tight most of the day. But while staying home, I decided to see a video. And what an experience. I had the most dazzling experience. I laughed and I cried. And I heard a soundtrack like I've only heard only a few times before. This movie made my day, I just have to share it with you and recommend this special movie. It's titled "Almost Famous" and is produced by Cameron Crowe. The soundtrack contains music by Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Elton John, Cat Stevens, And a group called Stillwater. Now the last one I have never heard about, so I'm quite curious, has this band ever existed ? How many records have they made ? If not for anything else, then see this film and listen to the great guitarsolos played in it. Give yourself a good experience, enjoy it with somebody you love and who loves music.<BR>Can anybody else recommend some good movies with great soundtracks.<BR>Greetings<BR>Hjalb<BR>NP: Great Big Sea , Great canadian folk-rock Band.<P>Please, don't loose your balls down in the bunker !! ;) :confused:

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Re: Another musical experience

Post by cockatootoo » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:26 pm

Hey Hjalb, sorry about the stomach thing. "Alomost Famous" is a pretty cool movie - I think Cameron Crowe also wrote and directed it! I believe it is based more or less on his real experiences as a teenager trying to become a rock journalist.<P>Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that Stillwater is a "make-believe" band - but I think the actors actually played some of the songs (don't know if someone stood in for solo's).<P>There's a great scene where his sister hands him a copy of "Pet Sounds", I seem to remember it being a big deal. It's a great Beach Boys album from '66, one of my personal favorites and pretty important in the development of rock music/recording!<P>cheers, buddy

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:23 pm

I have seen a movie that was supposed to be about the band Stillwater, maybe a couple of years ago. For some reason I thought at the time that I remembered a band by that name from the early 70s. After seeing your post, I logged onto Amazon.com, and behold, there are a couple of CDs listed, and some reviews to go along with them. <P>Don't know what it is all about, but there could be something to it?

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:59 pm

OK...an update.<P>I just found a website for Stillwater- I suppose for the make believe band from the movie?- and I downloaded and listed to a song called 'Heroine,' which is pretty good. <P>The site is <A HREF="http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/athirani/stillwater/Music.htm" TARGET=_blank>www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/athirani/stillwater/Music.htm</A> <P>You have to capitalize the 'M' in music in the address.<P>I also found a site specifically for the movie. Cameron Crowe's wife wrote the music for the movie that the make believe band Stillwater performed. She is Nancy Wilson of the band Heart. Remember Heart from the 70s...you know 'Dog and Butterfly'...'Crazy on you'...<P>I know. Too much time on my hands.

<Da Drew>

Post by <Da Drew> » Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:17 pm

Hi All,<P>The band Stillwater in the movie was made up-BUT!!! There was a band in the 70`s called Stillwater.I don`t recall any song titles,but I do remember hearing a song by them about a guy walking into a pawnshop to buy a guitar.He sees this unusual guitar and walks up to it and it begins to talk.Guitar Talk Boxes were big back then so the guitar sqwalks at him "My Daddy was a Gibson,my Momma was a Fender".Swear to God! I heard it!<P>Drew

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:38 pm

Yes!! There is a band called Stillwater!<P>I went on Yahoo!shopping and searched for the band and viola! I found two albums.<P>album #1 is titled simply;<BR> Stillwater<BR> released 1/1/77<BR> songs:<BR> 1 April Love<BR> 2 Fantasy Park<BR> 3 Mind Bender<BR> 4 Out on a Limb<BR> 5 Rock & Roll Loser<BR> 6 Sam's Jam<BR> 7 Universal Fool<BR> 8 Sunshine Blues <P>Album #2 I Reserve The Right<BR> released 1/1/79

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by al:<BR><STRONG>OK...an update.<P>I just found a website for Stillwater- I suppose for the make believe band from the movie?- and I downloaded and listed to a song called 'Heroine,' which is pretty good. <P>The site is <A HREF="http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/athirani/stillwater/Music.htm" TARGET=_blank>www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/athirani/stillwater/Music.htm</A> <P>You have to capitalize the 'M' in music in the address.<P>I also found a site specifically for the movie. Cameron Crowe's wife wrote the music for the movie that the make believe band Stillwater performed. She is Nancy Wilson of the band Heart. Remember Heart from the 70s...you know 'Dog and Butterfly'...'Crazy on you'...<P>I know. Too much time on my hands.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>no bubba that was styx ahahhaha

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:56 pm

NOW I'M GONNA HAVE TO SEE THAT MOVIE IT WAS ON T.V. A WHILE BACK.... has anybody ever seen a movie called aloha bobby and rose i think elton played a cop in it. and it has bennie and the jets in it. Plus i wish i knew where i could pick it up this would be good to know thanks.

<Bolanic>

Post by <Bolanic> » Sat Nov 09, 2002 3:51 pm

There is a Director's Cut DVD of Almost Famous out now (called Untitled - The Bootleg Cut), and with it comes a six-song CD by the "fake" Stillwater. And it's not bad for a band that doesn't exist! ALmost Famous has quickly become one of my favorite movies of all time!