A Musical Void

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

<DaDrew>

A Musical Void

Post by <DaDrew> » Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:04 am

Do You live in a musical void? I think I do.I don`t much care for anything that`s new on the radio.I scan the web for stuff that relates to bands from the 70`s and 80`s ex:SHL and Seventh Key.When I go into a cd store it`s to replace an LP from the 70`s with a cd.When I do discover a new band like Dreamtide,ACT or House of Shakira it`s because they sound like something from the 70`s or 80`s.It`s all that I play on my cd player-Now Playing,Kansas Monolith.<P>I feel like my father.In the 60`s he was still holding onto Benny Goodman,and Charlie Parker,me I`m holding onto City Boy and Kansas.<P>Was Jethro Tull right? "Let`s Go Living in the Past.<P>Or as Peter Frampton said-"Do You-YOU.Feel Like I Do"?

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Re: A Musical Void

Post by cockatootoo » Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:12 am

Hey Drew, There's good stuff out there! I doubt that you'll hear much of it on the radio... I wouldn't say that the new stuff I like is cloned from the 70's or 80's, but it usually has some elements of what made that music great. I guess it also depends on how open you are to other styles or combinations of styles - but there is stuff out there.<P>And, luckily, there is still the things from 70's, 80's and 90's that I'm just hearing for the first these days ( thanks mostly to the people on this board!)!!<P>Though the chance of finding anything in CB's league is probably nil...

hjalb
Car-Eating Man

Post by hjalb » Sun Aug 11, 2002 2:26 pm

Hi Drew.<BR>I take your point and must say I follow a long way down the line, and yet I have to say, there's lots of very good new music on the market. But your right, a lot of it has the sound of the 70's and the 80's. But it's not only to us this is a must, I as a teacher, meet young people every day who confirm my believe about this sound being so fundamental that bands today have to use the same sound. To support this point of view I'll point to the fact that super-groups today are the same as 20 or 30 years ago. There are groups who have hits so big, that no-one would have believed it possible 20 or 30 years ago, but the everlasting groups, the "evergreens" of pop and rock and the fundamental sound was developed in the 70's and the 80's.<BR>So go on loving them and don't feel bad about it. I too buy new records with bands sounding like then without only buying groups from then.<BR>Actually I've found folk-rock being one of the places where music right now is developing very fast and interesting, perhaps especially in Denmark, but I do think also in England, France and Canada. And I feel it's like going back to the roots where also CB came from, just listen to a track like "Haymaking time" or even "The Violin".<BR>Try to listen to groups like "Great big Sea" from Canada, "Soldier Louis" from France, "Oyster Band" and "Wolfstone" from England/Scotland or "Serras" from Denmark. I think it's very inspirering ??<BR>Ooppss. Got it longer than I would have...<BR>back to the vacation....<BR>Greetings<BR>Hjalb<P>NP : Gun ; Swagger. Plain, good ordinary solid rock<P>Please, don't loose your balls down in the bunker !!<BR> :D

andyb
Momma's Boy

Post by andyb » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:18 am

OK..before I start, I'm 43 now, and have been buying music since I was 11..<P>I must admit, I do try to keep up to date with the music I listen to. I can get my rocks off to Hoobastank or Incubus just as easily as Thin Lizzy or UFO. <P>There is good music - particular good ROCK music - around these days, but like in every era, there is some dross too. I've picked up on a lot of bands from watching M2 (I wish there had been a station like this for us Europeans in the mid-late 80's!) and then downloading some tunes off the net..Lots of times, I go on to buy the music..Latest example of this is Disturbed-without seeing a video on M2, I'd never have even thought about checking these guys out..Downloaded half a dozen songs, liked what I heard and went and bought the album).<P>Stuff like ACT is timeless..absolutely classic, but while it does look back to some of the classic sounds and bands of the 70's and 80's (Including City Boy, of course!!), they also mix in lots of modern textures too, as do the excellent Pedestrians OF Blue. <P>I must admit, though, a lot of the modern AOR stuff leaves me totally cold...The only out and out AOR album I really liked last year was Urban Tale-it had the bounce and vigour that drew me to the genre in the first place-it had 'inspiration' which I don't get from anything else in the genre at the moment, I just hear the same old cliched styles, watered down so they are a pale imitation of what has gone before them. This year has been little better, the Harem Scarem is pretty good, and when it gets going, Mecca isn't bad either, but I've yet to hear something that takes my breath away.

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:05 am

Hey Drew,<P>I suppose I too, can classify myself as living in a musical void. Other than the very rare and occasional CD purchase, I really haven't bought any new music on a regular basis since the mid-80's. Which is just fine with me, I don't think I'm missing anything much. I'm just as happy now listening to the old stuff than I was back when it was new. The current rock music just has a totally different attitude and style to it, and it does not appeal to me at all. Bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Goo Goo Dolls suck to holy hell. <P>Here's a 70's band I'd like to recommend, they're called "Racing Cars." I've mentioned them here before on another thread. They're worth checking out, the music resembles that of John Fogerty & CCR. A mix of country, blues, & rock n roll. Morty, the lead singer, even sounds a little like Fogerty. One of my favorite Racing Cars tunes is "Hard Workin Woman" from the first album. <P>The albums are:<BR>Downtown Tonight- 1976<BR>Weekend Rendezvous- 1977<BR>Bring On The Night- 1978
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:54 pm

Yep, I'm right there too, everybody. I hate today's music. The 70s/80s was about orchestration and arrangement. Instilling that element to music took hard work and lots of time. Today's young musicians just don't want to work that hard. <P>Yesterday's musicians have produced some new music recently that is as good if not better than their past music. In case you haven't heard these, I highly recommend:<P>Styx- Brave New World (1999)<BR>Elton John- Songs From The West Coast (2001)<BR>ELO- Zoom (2001)<BR>Al Stewart- Between The Wars (1995)<P>Also, I might mention an obscure band from the 70s: New England, with the album Explorer Suite, from the year 1980. Excellent! <P>later,<BR>Al

andyb
Momma's Boy

Post by andyb » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:42 am

Sorry, Al, but your way off there..there are as many good musicians putting a great deal of effort into their music today as there were 20-30 years ago..there was good and bad then, just as there is now. <P>Explorer Suite was superb, as were their other two albums...I probably prefer 'Walking Wild' as it had more of 'them' on it rather than them trying to be ELO (As Explorer Suite clearly is).<P>If you like your rock 'Symphonic' you really must check out Ayreon...You have to like your rock with a fair dollop of Cheez, but that shoulsdn't be a problem if you lived- and loved -the 80's!!! Check out 'Dream Sequencer' This is part one of a two (separate) disc set of a project called 'Universal Miagrator'.. part two is really good too, but it's heavier that disc one. Lots of guest vocalists..Neal Morse is on disc one, Bruce Dickinson is on disc two.<P><BR>I'm really enjoying the new Everon album 'Bridge'.. easily their best to date.

<djwheels>

Post by <djwheels> » Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:37 pm

'ey Drew,<P>I've been thinking the same thing - especially when I do end up getting something new, it's another version of the same ol'...<P>However, some good 90's bands come to mind - Echolyn, Spock's Beard, Magellan, Shadow Gallery, Alias Eye, Izz, Ayreon, Crucible, Dream Theater... <BR>I'm just glad that they're all moving it into their own individual directions. It keeps putting all this 'NEW' and GREAT MUSIC out there !! Looking back to some of the early bands like YES, URIAH HEEP, KANSAS, Barclay James Harvest, even AEROSMITH = All of thier new music is somewhat new - It's thrilling to hear, nonetheless. Maybe 'void' isn't the right word. I keep finding new bands (like a few that you mentioned "Dreamtide" "Seventh Key") that I would agree have that 80's feel, but ya gotta love it !! I know some teenagers that understand and appreciate some of this new "80's style" music. It's ALL good...

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by <DaDrew>:<BR><STRONG>Do You live in a musical void? I think I do.I don`t much care for anything that`s new on the radio.I scan the web for stuff that relates to bands from the 70`s and 80`s ex:SHL and Seventh Key.When I go into a cd store it`s to replace an LP from the 70`s with a cd.When I do discover a new band like Dreamtide,ACT or House of Shakira it`s because they sound like something from the 70`s or 80`s.It`s all that I play on my cd player-Now Playing,Kansas Monolith.<P>I feel like my father.In the 60`s he was still holding onto Benny Goodman,and Charlie Parker,me I`m holding onto City Boy and Kansas.<P>Was Jethro Tull right? "Let`s Go Living in the Past.<P>Or as Peter Frampton said-"Do You-YOU.Feel Like I Do"?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>it's not that you just like the best music meaningful lyrics harmonic melodic. great stuff they don't even sing anymore never thought i'd see the day.<P>n.p.=v.h.=diver down

<haj>

Post by <haj> » Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:41 am

Great music then & now:<P>Rabbitt --- South African 70s band which featured Trevor Rabin and Duncan Faure; Faure is still doing darn fine music while Rabin, unfortunately, has gone Hollywood. Do check Duncan out if you can...and Rabbitt while you're at it.<P>Cheers.

Rob
Momma's Boy

Post by Rob » Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:49 am

Hi all. Haven't been here for a long while. Hello to my fellow Canadian in Oakville who owns the record store. Too bad about Sam the Record Man! At least I now know who has the "City Boy" license plate I wanted.<P>On topic: I would be remiss if I didn't point out the Tragically Hip as one of the great bands making Rock music today. They are from Kingston, Ontario and I believe are Canada's greatest contribution to the music world, the Guess Who and Rush notwithstanding.<P>Do yourself a favour and check out Gord Downey and the boys.

-=Todd=-
Car-Eating Man

Post by -=Todd=- » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:32 am

Tragically Hip's "Road Apples", "Up To Here", and "Fully Completely" in particular are outstanding.<P>-=Todd=-
-=Todd=-

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:32 pm

:)Hi all -<P>Have any of you guys heard of "the vines", "the strokes", "the white stripes", or, "the hives"? I've not heard any of this stuff. Is it good?<P>September issue "Rolling Stone".<P> :) Timmy
No second-rate third party to complicate our lives<P>Strictly first-class being here with you<P>lyrics used by kind permission of Max Thomas's "Begining to end" project

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:01 am

Silly, I've only heard like one song from each of those bands... but it seems like a punk revival of sorts?? Didn't do much for me, but they all seem to be somewhat popular now - so somebody likes it...

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:36 am

Hi all,<P>It's been a while! For those in a musical void, two <I>ESSENTIAL</I> releases:<P><B>Spock's Beard - Snow</B><P>This is the latest offering from the Spock's. It is described their "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" - it is a two CD concept album, incorporating elements of Genesis, Yes, ELO, City Boy, 70's funk and Nu-Metal, as well as their own brand of Prog Rock. As a bonus, some of the vocal duties on the CD are handled by drummer Nick DiVirgilio, which provides a nice counterpoint to Neal Morse.<P>At worst, this album makes for a couple of hours interesting listening. At best, it could be challenging TDTECF for top spot on my all time playlist...!!!<P><B>Grand Slam - The Studio Sessions</B><P>As a self-confessed worshipper at the altar of Thin Lizzy, this collection is truly manna from heaven! Grand Slam was the band that Phil Lynott formed with Brian Downey after the demise of Thin Lizzy. The line up features Mark Stanway from Magnum on keyboards, and this compilation is drawn from his private tape archive. <P>Some of these tracks have been released in different guises (e.g as Phil Lynott solo tracks, on Gary Moore's "Run For Cover" album etc), but there are some gems that have only been previously accessible to the serious collector (or those of us fortunate enough to live in Dublin who know the right people!).<P>The CD is available from <A HREF="http://www.zoomclub.com" TARGET=_blank>Shadows Music</A><P>Happy listening and best wishes to all,<P>Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....