LANGUAGE / COUNTRY

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

LANGUAGE / COUNTRY

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:19 am

:)Hello - all at Rito's board, friends, visitors, fans of City Boy!!!<P> :) This may at first sound like a spin-off of one of Hjalb's posts. It's really a warm-up for my comming post / topics. Question: where do you live?, and what languages do you speak, read, write? And tell us of your travels, and encounters from around the world, or from your own back yard. "Raise the "JOLLY ROGER"! Fly your flag!<P> :) I'm an American, but I'm 1/2 Finnish, a 1/4 "Irish / Scotish, a little English, and an 1/8th "mixed bag", well, something like that. I sreak only English, a little Finnish, a little Russian, and all the "welcome, hello, good-bye's in several languages. Not much of any one I'm afraid. Mostly just "American / English. What about you guy's?<P> :) Tim
No second-rate third party to complicate our lives<P>Strictly first-class being here with you<P>lyrics used by kind permission of Max Thomas's "Begining to end" project

<Da Drew>

Re: LANGUAGE / COUNTRY

Post by <Da Drew> » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:16 pm

Hi All!<P>I am 1/2 Polish and 1/2 Russian. I speak and read and write English.<P>I live in a small little country town called Linden.It`s about 60 miles from downtown Detroit "Home of the Stanley Cup Champ Red Wings"!!! I was born and raised in Detroit and Dearborn and am old enough "46" to have lived through a great period of time in music.For example: Ted Nugent & Bob Seger both played concerts in my High School gym.<P>As far as travel goes,I`ve been to Toronto,Montreal,New York,Atlanta,Pittsburg,and Walt Disney World.<P>Drewness

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by <Da Drew>:<BR><STRONG>Hi All!<P>I am 1/2 Polish and 1/2 Russian. I speak and read and write English.<P>I live in a small little country town called Linden.It`s about 60 miles from downtown Detroit "Home of the Stanley Cup Champ Red Wings"!!! I was born and raised in Detroit and Dearborn and am old enough "46" to have lived through a great period of time in music.For example: Ted Nugent & Bob Seger both played concerts in my High School gym.<P>As far as travel goes,I`ve been to Toronto,Montreal,New York,Atlanta,Pittsburg,and Walt Disney World.<P>Drewness</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> :) Hi Drewness,<P>Do you read, write, or speak any Polish / Russian? :) I too, was born in the "motor city", and lived there till I was 3 yrs. old.<P> :) "motor city boy"?<P>P.S. Thanks for posting!<P> :) Timmy
No second-rate third party to complicate our lives<P>Strictly first-class being here with you<P>lyrics used by kind permission of Max Thomas's "Begining to end" project

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:25 am

:) LIVE UPDATE: INFO. FROM MY MOMMY.<P> :) I am 1/2 Finnish<P> 1/4 Scotch - Irish "American" Indian<P> 1/4 French - German - English<P> :) So... I'm only a little bit Brit. Well... I'm proud, although I'm not as English as "our boy's". I think any of us that loves them, and I know you ALL do. We are City Boy's all the same.<P> :) KEEP SMILING, Tim

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:39 am

:) BREAKING NEWS: a little bit Swedish, as well.<P> :)Travel: I've been to most parts of U.S., Finland, Sweden, Norway, England, Russia, Taiwan, and I believe I once boarded a flying saucer, and took pictures of the "Martian landscape". :) Visibility was poor and my "Polaroid" was effected by dust. :) <P>Tim is silly, Tim

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:34 pm

I believe I'm mostly a mix of German, Irish and English - though I've never spent much time on such things.<P>Born and raised in the good old US of A. Barely speak english - took four years of German back in highschool and I suppose I can still pick out a word or two there... I truly thank God that most of the people who visit this site can write in English or I'd be totally lost!<P>I've been to Toronto and Niagara Falls, but other than that I'd never been out of the states until I went to Venezuela a couple years ago on vacation. I've been to Hawaii, also and that might as well be a foreign country - it's nothing like my area geographically (or any other way for that matter)! I'd love to get to Europe one of these days, especially after meeting so many great and interesting people through this board...

hjalb
Car-Eating Man

Post by hjalb » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:36 am

Hi there Timmy.<BR>What a great topic ! You're absolutely right, it could have been one of mine, but since it's not, I'll answer as brief as to me possible.<BR>I'm born in Denmark and somewhere way-out in the family there is a good bit of German blood. I haven't travelled much, mostly round Denmark, but I have also spend vacations or studies in Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Sweden (where i've just been for another week again), Norway, England and Wales, Ireland, Spain and even a few hours in Andorra.<BR>I speak and write Danish, German, English and a very little French. German and english I speak and write nearly fluently.<BR>I know live in a little village with about 400 inhabitants.<BR>I think that more or less does it for this time.<BR>Oh, and by the way, for all those of you who are waiting for something from me, easy, easy, due to sickness and now summerhollidays things a´re being delaid, but they are coming july or august.<BR>NP : Lynyrd Skynyrd : Twenty ( Found them at my local CD-Pusher at the price of 1 pound 50 !<P>Greetings<BR>Hjalb<P>Please don't loose your balls down in the bunker !! ;)

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:35 am

Off the path for a minute: Today's Newspaper reads: HAPPY FOURTH...Orange County celebrates it's first Independence Day since the tragedy of Sept. 11.<P> :) Timmy

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:26 pm

Hey Timmy, hey all... :)<P><B>Primary language</B>: Norwegian<BR><B>Second language</B>: English<BR><B>Third language</B>: German<BR><I>The distinct advantage of being Scandinavian</I>: A certain comprehension of both Swedes and Danes, and a distinct number of bad jokes which seem to be angled at whoever whenever appropriate ... from any 1 of 3 sides you can name.<P><B>Origin</B>: Rumour has it there's a famous Finnish bear hunter somewhere at the very beginning of the family tree, but since then it's been pretty much all Norwegian, all the time...<P><B>Travels</B>: Scandinavia, UK, Ireland, most of Southern Europe, with the exception of Spain. Would like to see more of the world, and would love to visit some fellow City Boy forum fans eventually, but I usually take a bit of time from making plans to putting them into action, so ... well, time will tell!<P>Geir :D<P><I>np: <B>Kharma</B> "Wonderland" (2000) --- occasionally pretty inspired, but generally well on the overrated side in just about every publication and on every wbesite I've seen! </I>
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Timmy Brownfield
Narcissus

Post by Timmy Brownfield » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:05 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR><BR><STRONG>Hi there Timmy.<BR> 400 inhabitants.<BR> delaid, <P>Greetings<BR>Hjalb<P>Please don't loose your balls down in the bunker !! :) Delaid? - I suffer your frustration. It's (delayed)! Don't let that gal do it to you again. :) :p :p <P> :mad: Timmy

-=Todd=-
Car-Eating Man

Post by -=Todd=- » Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:53 pm

I was born/raised/reside in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. eh?<P>The Winters are so cold they'll freeze the nuts off a...(steel bridge?) and in the Summer the mosquitos are so big they have stewardesses on them!<P>Winnipeg is also the home of such bands as The Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive. Neil Young and Colin James have also lived here early in their careers.<P>I've traveled to the Carribean, Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Bahammas, almost every province and much of the USA, but never been across the pond.<P>-=Todd=-
-=Todd=-

andyb
Momma's Boy

Post by andyb » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:53 am

OK, I'll play...<P>100% born and bred British..as far as I can trace my lineage back, that is. Born and raised in Eccles, Manchester for 43 years..<P>Travelled Europe by car extensively in the 80's with my wife, Lynn.. We used to get the boat across then decide where we'd go..one year we ended up in the arctic circle, one year in the south of France... <P>Especially liked Scandinavia and Germany. Berlin, with the wall still up, was the most breathtaking place I've ever visited...and driving through Checkpoint Charlie with Camel's 'Stationery Traveller' going full blast on the tape deck really was eerie!!<P>In between our Euro jaunts, we fitted in trips across the pond..to Florida, California and to Canada and the nothern US states around Lake Erie..Caught a baseball at my first ever MLB game, too. <P>Then the family came along, but we did manage to fit in one more North American trip in '98 when we hit New York for a week to take in 5 NHL games (Hockey is my first love, sportswise)

polzer
Momma's Boy

Post by polzer » Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:41 am

Okay, here we go…<P>My mother is pure Swedish, my dad is from Austria. Grandma is from Norway (hailing from Italy way back) and Grandpa is from north of Sweden. And here I am a simple man! <P>Born and raised in a small town called Skara, moved around a bit when reaching working age. Live in Stockholm (capital of Sweden) since seven years back. I’m married with two kids, a daughter who is 16 months and a son 4 months old. I live in a terrace house and drive a Volvo V70, I’m a family man. I’m working at BMG the record company but will soon start at a new label called Atenzia. We’ve recently released Cannata, Harlan Cage and 101 South and are about to release the new album from Sweden’s finest band A.C.T.<P>Just as you my passion is music and record collecting; my collection consists of about 6-7000 albums and counting. I travel a lot to U.K. and Holland for gigs; I have to because I’m a sucker for progressive rock. I’m about to see Pallas in Holland in a couple of weeks. Everywhere I go I seek up record stores, and so far I’ve been buying albums in USA, Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland), Germany (east & west), Austria, France, Holland, Italy, Switzerland, Yugoslavia, Greece, Finland, Denmark and Norway. My next record hunt goal is Canada and the US again. My wife is also in the music business so she totally understands my needs! <P>I’ll speak Swedish, English, German and of course a bit of Norwegian and Danish!<P>I’ll think that’s it… <P> :D
So we're all part of some great galaxy<BR>when our moon is coming out<BR>It's not the only one that's meant to be<BR>we're living earth just spinning out in space<BR>In our haste to communicate we've lost the art<BR>We're not the only race to have a heart

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:24 am

Oh, what the hell...<P>Third generation American with grandparents from Italy, Germany, Holland and Croatia. I'm therefore a typical American, it seems. Live in Ohio, although have lived in S. California two years, Florida for awhile, but like the Great Lakes region best. Travelled the USA by plane, bus and auto. Driven coast to coast in a Ford Pinto. Have owned 38 Ford cars and one Dodge. Been to Canada-awesome country. I dream of a City Boy reunion. It could happen.

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:04 pm

Good idea... it's nice to know a little bit about each other.<P>I was born and raised just south of San Francisco, age 41, still live in the S.F. Bay Area. Family roots are English, Danish, Welsh, with a touch of German, French & Swedish - though Japanese is the major language spoken at home. My wife is from Japan and our kids first language is Japanese - I'm now trying to speak English at least half the time. Children's ages are 16 (boy) and 6 (girl). I've travelled to Japan and the rest of the Far East as well as many points in the U.S. over the last twenty years (personal and business related trips). I'm more or less tied down in San Jose, CA now since I'm taking over my Father's mortgage business as he plans his retirement. (the nutshell version)
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert