2016 CB interview!

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

[email protected]
Heavyweight

2016 CB interview!

Post by [email protected] » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 am

When searching for CB stuff at eBay I found a very interesting press cutting, originally published in Sweden Rock Magazine (March 2016).

This article, consisting of 7 pages, is based on new interviews with all 1978/79 era members, except Max. The fact even Lol is participating is sensational enough! BTW, Lol seems alive and kicking! All in all, I think the article is a very solid and initiated work of piece by the author Zendt (I get the impression he may be a diehard CB fan himself!). I will try contact him after the summer holidays - I'm pretty curious to get to know more and how on Earth he managed to reach all the guys!

There is no amazing news here (except the fact that Chris thinks both HAR and IP are good albums :D ), rather explanations and clarifications of facts that's been incomplete or unclear before. The article is especially focused on the interview with Steve, who now seems comfortable to speak about his time and departure from the band.

I will get this article translated to English somehow for you.

I'm sorry for this teaser, but I just couldn't keep the existence of this tidbit for myself any longer!

In the meanwhile, the article is of course available in Swedish - just send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

:cheers:
... and out!

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Re: 2016 CB interview!

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 pm

That is great, Mikael. Hope it gets up asap. If you get in touch with the guy ask him if he knows what happened to Roger. The most anonymous of all the members of the band. Is he even alive today?
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Oh, I can't wait to read the translation.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am

me too!

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:13 am

That's great Mikael - the first sign of life of Lol after all these years...
I'll PM you, I am able to understand a bit of the Swedish language when it's in writing...
looking forward to it
cheers !
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:55 am

I have ran into copyright issues and will not be able to post the article on the net, since Zendt, the author is trying to get it published in international music magazines.

I suppose it would be ok sending it by email to those of you who are interested. I will meet Zendt by phone later this week and sort things out regarding this, besides getting a nice conversation with another CB fan! :D

The translation is also causing me problem since the text to translate is a quite massive one, but I will have it ready sooner or later.

Sorry to keep you waiting. :cry:
... and out!

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:37 am

English translation is now available! :D

Just send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

... and out!

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks so much Mikael!! cool to finally see an interview with all the guys. I'd still like to hear them talk about the music and recording/writing more, but that will never happen...

This is great in lieu of that!

thanks again for making it available to us.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Good to know that Steve and Lol are pals again. Gosh, that must have been an awful times since they had known each other since childhood. I have long since given up on the reunion and it looks like I was right about that. Well, we still have the 7 albums to listen to. Better than nothing.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm

It has been a great read ! And compliments to Jonatan for the excellent translation.

What kind of surprised me is that the band members are not too convinced of their own musical and vocal capabilities.(except for those of Mike). It was even said that "Mutt probably would have sung and played each song better than we did".

I would have liked to ask the band members what they feel about the fact that several hundreds, or maybe even thousands, of fans still appreciate their music very much nowadays. It won't bring them any money, but from an artistical perspective they could feel proud of it ?

And I would like to know why the new drummer had to be a singer as well, since they already had two great lead singers. Or was it intended to have more possibilities re. harmonies ?
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

peter6604
Narcissus

Post by peter6604 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:57 pm

It´s been a long time since I visited here:-) This sounds very interesting, you got a PM Mikael.
Peter from Linkoping, Sweden

peter6604
Narcissus

Post by peter6604 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 pm

It was very interesting to read indeed:-) Nice to hear from Lol after all these years and Steve of course (was some input long time ago here that was said to be from Steve but I´m not sure it was him). The only thing I wonder about is what happened to Roger Kent? My favorites with CB was the songs with Steve and Lol singing even though Roy did a good job singing. Big Thanks Mikael!!
Peter from Linkoping, Sweden

Martin
Car-Eating Man

Post by Martin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:51 am

Great find!
I've sent you a PM :D
Thank you - I love you all!