Intervirw with Chris about his closing Dreamhire

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Laurelei
Generalissima

Intervirw with Chris about his closing Dreamhire

Post by Laurelei » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:52 am

I stumbled across this a bit ago. He has quite a place up there. I had the pleasure of going up ther a few years ago and hanging out with him for the day, getting the tour, and hearing some band stories firsthand.. Interesting guy. Thanks for lunch, Chris.

Voiceovers? I wonder if he does a duck voice?

Laurelei. 8)

Exit Interview: Chris Dunn on the Decision to Close Dreamhire

David Weiss
After Audio

What do you plan to do after June of next year? Are you going to stay involved with rentals in any way?

Take a vacation. I can’t remember when I last took a vacation. My last trip anywhere was back to England at the end of December 2013 when my mother passed away. That wasn’t really a vacation as such. We spent a lot of time in the pub though, I’m telling you, me, and my brother and sister.

I’m going to do other things. I’m not going to retire, even though I am going to be 63 this year, I’m not planning on retiring yet. One thing I’m thinking of getting into, which I actually did at one time, is voiceovers. I haven’t had any formal voice training, but it’s in my genes. My Father, Leslie Dunn, worked for the BBC and he was in radio and TV over there in England. He had quite the announcer’s voice, you know and was an actor in The Archers, a BBC radio soap, for 27 years!

I can imagine this is a bittersweet time for you.

Not really. I’ve reached the mindset now that I’ve actually had about enough. I’m really actually throwing myself headlong into the sale of the equipment and I’m feeling really good about it.

The funny thing is, this is the way I felt when the option came up to buy Dreamhire off BMG which had bought the remaining shares of Zomba off Clive back in 2001. I thought, “BMG? You know what’s gonna happen if Dreamhire stays a part of BMG. They’re gonna shut us down because they don’t want us. We’re a little thorn in their side. They’re record labels and publishing. They don’t want us.”

I thought, “I’ve got a choice here. I can either just walk away and let them liquidate the operation, or I could consider keeping it going, getting backing, and buying the company. I did and I got it for a reasonably good deal. The purchase price was based on the depreciated value. Anything that was more than five years old was fully depreciated. It’s great, all the 3348s and 3348HRs didn’t cost me a damn thing and they haven’t rented at all since, except being used in the transfer room occasionally. I had that feeling then it was the right thing to do. Even though I knew the rental business was taking a serious dive after 9/11, and in November 2003 is when I actually bought the company.

I have that same feeling now. I’ve reached the point where I don’t really want to do this anymore. I want to do other things. I don’t want to drive from Tarrytown into Long Island City every day, five days a week. That was silly traffic. I want to do other stuff. I want to be able to go fishing more frequently with my fly rod in my hand.

If I get to do the voiceover thing, I can just hop on the train in Tarrytown, get off at Grand Central, take a walk, do my thing, get back to Grand Central. Have an oyster or two in the Oyster Bar, get back on the train and go back to Tarrytown.

These are the things that are appealing to me. I’ve been thinking about the scenarios of what life will be like after Dreamhire: For me, there’s no going back.

David Weiss
categories: Audio Economics, The Deli Feed, The Deli NYC Feed
tags: audio rentals, audio rentals business, audio retnals NYC, Chris Dunn, Clive Calder, Dreamhire, Dreamhire closing, Jim Flynn, Mutt Lange, SIR, Studio Instrument Rentals, Zomba
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Re: Intervirw with Chris about his closing Dreamhire

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:39 pm

That is a good idea doing voice-overs. There are some good voice-over actors out there like John DiMaggio and Michael Gough. I would probably buy the game if Chris is in it even if the game is not really my cup of tea. I once bought a game only because Art Bell was in it. :D
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:54 am

Thanks Jo.
I found the full, six pages long interview with Chris via the Dreamhire website :
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2016/08/15/ex ... dreamhire/

The interview is only a few months old... the closing of Dreamhire is planned for June 2017.

This is also a nice page on the website, a large article about Chris, covering his City Boy years, before and after :
https://www.dreamhire.com/about/heritage
and this one
https://www.dreamhire.com/about/company-profile
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:45 pm

1after2 wrote:Thanks Jo.
I found the full, six pages long interview with Chris via the Dreamhire website :
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2016/08/15/ex ... dreamhire/

The interview is only a few months old... the closing of Dreamhire is planned for June 2017.

This is also a nice page on the website, a large article about Chris, covering his City Boy years, before and after :
https://www.dreamhire.com/about/heritage
and this one
https://www.dreamhire.com/about/company-profile
He must remember some things wrong. I remember no harmonica on DATR and Huey is only credited on TDTECF. Split Enz are kiwis and not aussies. Which should be easy to remember, since they changed the band name from Split Ends to Enz, just to show the origin of the band. At the moment I cannot remember if they ever recruited any aussie member. Just that a couple of recruits were british since they at that point had relocated from NZ to UK. I think Chunn might have been one of the brits but I really have to check to be sure. Since it is taken from memory alone.

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:36 am

You're right about Huey Lewis, Robin...
plenty of well known guest musicians on DATR (B.J. Cole, David Jackson, Jack Holstein) but no Huey...
Split Enz were from Auckland, New Zealand, as you say...

But nevertheless I learned a few new things about Chris and City Boy from the "Heritage" interview...
e.g. he is younger than I thought (nov. '53)... makes him 3 - 4 years younger than Lol, Steve and Max (all born in 1950).
And Mutt Lange was second choice as producer...
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Yeah, I loved the interview too. We are not spoiled to get them too often. Two interviews in a short space and the Steve interview for radio last year. I also noticed that Chris was younger than the others. I thought they were all born 1950. But I guess I was wrong. I hope he had fun in the schoolyard back in 63 and not only Steve, Lol and Max.

- Rod Serling