Interview with Mike Slamer

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Laurelei
Generalissima

Interview with Mike Slamer

Post by Laurelei » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:41 am

Courtesy of our own Elmer! Thanks Elmer. 8)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/869 ... _2006.mpga
Too damn hard...

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Re: Interview with Mike Slamer

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:39 am

It's a pity Mike was not too keen to talk about City Boy... he sounded even a bit unfriendly if you ask me...
Mike was more interested in promoting his new solo album I guess
(the interview dates from 2006)
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:08 pm

hoping to give this a listen soon! too bad that the guys don't really like talking about CB :( that is realty what I would like to hear about.

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 pm

In 2006 internet was still fairly young. Having only existed for about a decade at that point. For the first decade dial-up was most common. Broadband came much later. When Mike made the interview, broadband had only been around for a few years. Most internet users were still teenagers and in their early 20's. Now we have a much more mixed bag of users. The majority of old CB fans were still offline in 2006. Perhaps Mike was not aware how many fans his old band had at that point? At least Max and Chris has bothered to meet their old fans and answer questions. Even if they do not like to dwell on the past, we do. At least when it comes to some things. I have no intention of throwing away records with Genesis, Yes, Camel, City Boy or whatever, just because I don't like to dwell on the past. Not all music has stood the test of time but much have. CB are without doubt among those. The songwriting, the arrangements, the production, the lyrics are all superb. They should be proud of what they achieved during the 70's. Just because they never became as big as ELO or Supertramp doesn't mean anything to me. I could agree that it is a bit sad that they didn't. But it doesn't change the fact that their music is truly great. During that fairly brief period the band was active, most of their fans were 10-15 years younger than them. Yes, we were only brats then. But like just them, we too has grown older. My taste in music was defined during those wild brat years. At this point I don't really care for a reformation or not. Clearly many other great bands will never reform, The Beatles; Led Zeppelin, ABBA to mention just a few. But nothing would make me happier if they would once and for all bury the hatchet before it is too late. Having been bitter about it for nearly 40 years doesn't make anyone happier, least not themselves. That is so obvious to an observer from the outside.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:48 am

Susan Slamer (Mike's wife) was already active on this forum (old format) during the end of the 1990's...
she was a regular visitor and contributor then... also speaking for / on behalf of Mike now and then...
so I think Mike could easily have been aware that City Boy still had a die-hard fanbase...

Btw, although Mike was not eager to talk about City Boy during the interview, I think the interviewer (Elmar ?) did a good job, being persistent in a tactical / diplomatic way, because in the end Mike had revealed quite some information about City Boy after all...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:58 pm

I have only been here for 10, soon to be 11 years. I do remember you have mentioned his wife some years ago and possibly some other members son being active here, both before my time unfortunately. However, I have a feeling that it was the tensions in the band ca 78-79 that makes it hard for them to talk about CB even to this day. But that is just a feeling.

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:16 pm

I found another one.

Mike Slamer discusses his life and career. From his early days to the 5 albums he recorded with Producer Mutt Lange (with the band City Boy), why he was thanked in Def Leppard's 'Pyromania', his secret session playing on the first two Warrant releases, and most of his other band / recording projects (Streets, Steelhouse Lane, Seventh Key, Slamer, Ozone).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mfmWp078lc

- Rod Serling

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 am

great find! so nice to hear an actual in-depth interview with one of the "boys". wish there was a bit more on CB but excellent all the same!

thanks

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:44 am

I knew this one for a few years already, but nevertheless nice to post it here Robin. :cheers:
It triggered me to re-listen to it. I think Mike was more friendly and more willing to talk about his City Boy years, compared to the other interview (with Elmar).
And early life plus City Boy consumed nearly 50 % of the interview time, not too bad if you'd ask me... :)

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 am

1after2 wrote:I knew this one for a few years already, but nevertheless nice to post it here Robin. :cheers:
It triggered me to re-listen to it. I think Mike was more friendly and more willing to talk about his City Boy years, compared to the other interview (with Elmar).
And early life plus City Boy consumed nearly 50 % of the interview time, not too bad if you'd ask me... :)
I didn't know how old the interview was. One thing that I reacted to was that he blamed Roy for the tensions in the band, becoming not only the drummer but the bands third lead vocalist. I've never thought about that before. When coming to think about Eagles, most every member sang lead vocals at some point. But what works in one band obviously doesn't work so well in another, sadly enough. But it was funny that you pointed out, that in this interview he gladly dwelled about the past, compared to the other interview.

- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 am

One thing that I reacted to was that he blamed Roy for the tensions in the band, becoming not only the drummer but the bands third lead vocalist.
Well, not sure if Mike really blamed Roy for that, or that he just mentioned it as an important reason.
According to Susan Slamers contributions here in the 90's, Mike and Roy stayed in touch after City Boy and had a good relation.
They also worked together for the soundtrack of the movie White Water Summer : they co-wrote some songs, with Roy on vocals and Mike playing guitar.

The decision of launching Roy as the third lead vocalist was clearly a decision of Mutt Lange.
Listen to the Zella tapes, the demo sessions for the Book Early album (contributed by Chris Dunn).
On these demo versions, all lead vocal parts are sung by either Lol or Steve, while Roy was already present at the time (you can clearly hear him sing some background vocals).
So the decision to re-assign the lead vocal parts of some songs on Book Early to Roy for the final version of the album was obviously a producers decision.
(if I remember well Max Thomas confirmed that in one of his large contributions in the "history" section of this site)

In my opinion, if the addition of a third lead vocalist did lead to tensions in the band, these were caused by Mutt, not Roy.

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 am

where do we find these book early demos? thx

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:14 pm

The Book Early demos used to be here on this site, in the vault section, just like all the live bootleg recordings...
But I just found out that the link to the vault is currently defunct....

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:59 pm

I seem to remember this being discussed a while back but I don't think I ever checked it out. definitely would like to though!

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 am

You'd really should Matt, very worthwhile.

Includes a few songs that never made the album (Café Vienna and Remember The Boy),
and some distinctive different takes on songs that did make the album later on...
(especially the demo versions of Beth and Summer In The Schoolyard differ a lot from the final album versions)

And as already mentioned, all lead vocals handled by Lol and Steve, incl. Turn On to Jesus (no 5705 yet in the demo set)

The vault being missing in action has been reported in the vault thread of this forum.