Happy Christmas!

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

rito
El Presidente

Happy Christmas!

Post by rito » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:18 am

Hello!

to all the remaining few here: I wish you a merry christmas and happy new year :)

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Re: Happy Christmas!

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Merry christmas and a happy new year to you too, Thomas. And of course to everyone else on the forum.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:53 am

Merry Christmas to the City Boy faithful!! hopefully there is still a few of us around...

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Merry Xmas and Happy New year
I hope that 2017 will be a better year for everybody (and me too by the way!)
All the best :cheers:
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

vitrola
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by vitrola » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:22 am

Happy New Year for all you, best wishes for 2017, what happened with this forum, is there another place to discuss about this great band?, Where are the people that kept this forum alive, like laurelei, etc? And Max Thomas?
All the best
Sebastian

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:29 pm

I think maybe they have moved to Facebook. I'm not sure though because before they banned me, that group was pretty dead too. I can't tell if it has lived up again since then.

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

vitrola
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by vitrola » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks Robin, the facebook page is dead, I never got a message from there. It looks like this is the only place to get some related news but unfortunately is very quiet. Some input from ex-members of the band would be appreciated.

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:01 am

Happy New Year from me as well... I hope you all had a nice Christmas too...

Re. this forum : yes the times are changing... nothing is forever... all things must pass... etc. etc.
I really noticed this a few months ago, when I posted a link to a recent, extensive Radio interview with Steve Broughton...
In the old days this would have easily resulted in many reactions and discussions...
Now only Mikael and Robin reacted on the post... (thx :wink: )

As time goes by, this kind of news seems to have become less exciting than it used to be...
Is it because all kind of information is available in loads nowadays online...
Is it because the general attitude of the former band members towards their own musical, artistic past is not always that positive and interested... ?
(although I will always be grateful to Chris and Max for their contributions... background information, concert recordings and the Zella demo's !)
Or is it because we are all older now and are not thrilled that easy anymore... ?

Anyhow, I keep on visiting this forum about twice a week... albeit just lurking most of the time...

By the way, the City Boy page on Facebook is still alive... although also quiet most of the times...

cheers :cheers:
Piet
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

vitrola
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by vitrola » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Yes, you're right and 2009 was the peak with Max and Roy plans to reform the band. That dream of a new album dissapeared year by year, first with Renaissence Records being dissolved, and later with Mike not being interested at all (and that was the only remaining chance to get a recording deal). As time goes by there's still anger and pain between some of them (and is totally understandable9. The only chance to see a kind of one-off concert reunion would be if there were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but unfortunately I don't think that this will happen. As a big fan of ELO a reunion after being inducted is probably.
For me this forum is still the best place to get info related, I enjoyed a lot the Steve interview that you shared otherwise I shouldn't have noticed. I was a bit lazy to say thanks at that time.
About facebook I didnd't see a message yet and joined them a couple of months ago.
As fans we care about the band more than ex-members do, I would like Mike writing news about him here but his site no longer exists or what is doing Roy, some years we knew was active (in an eagles cover band or something like that) but no news at all. They could use this forum to promote what they doing (musically related). I would like to know in what band was Roy before City Boy for example.
Ok that's all

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:32 pm

This is the facebook page I was referring to... latest update 21 dec. 2016

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2408151 ... =bookmarks
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

vitrola
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by vitrola » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi thanks I didn´t know about this page, I was in another one that is totally dead.
It looks interesting at first sight.

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:29 am

hey Piet, sorry I didn't remark on the Broughton interview (I thought I had, I guess...) it was a cool interview - especially the CB related part.

thanks
matt

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:36 am

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you dear people. I still visit from time to time but there never seems to be any activity any more. I guess there isn't much left to say that hasn't already been said about this wonderful band.

Piet, I thought I had responded. I do apologize for not doing so. I hunted up part two and posted it and as you say there wasn't much response. Guess those days are over.

I suppose we could try to kick things up again. Perhaps a project of some sort??? Another round of CD Boy? A puzzle? A game? Any ideas? Maybe I'll post a few things.

Here's to 2017! Let's make it a good one.

Me 8)
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:23 pm

How long ago was last CD Boy round? 4-5 years ago? I guess it would last longer if we returned to the original idea with CD's. The question is if it is even possible to buy rewritable cd's anymore? Haven't they gone the same way as the cassette tapes? Extinct that is. I'm fine with the modern version but it will be over within a month or so.

- Rod Serling