Radio interview with Steve Broughton

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Radio interview with Steve Broughton

Post by 1after2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Found through Facebook, thanks to Charles Ellis and Ian Ashleigh, a recent (May 2016) interview with Steve Broughton, broadcasted on Birmingham local radio, hosted by Robin Valk. Steve talks a lot, about a.o. City Boy and his own musical preferences and inspiration. Very interesting.

Ps. does anyone know how to save this as an audio file (mp3 or similar) ?

https://m.mixcloud.com/BrumRadio/big-wh ... -17052016/
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Re: Radio interview with Steve Broughton

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks for the nice find! I've just spent a couple of hours in the company of Mr Valk and Mr Lunt. I even left a comment on their site mentioning the forum. Maybe we get a few new members to live up the forum a wee bit? :D
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:33 am

this worked for me to save it as an audio file

http://www.savelink.info/sites/mixcloud

mik@el
Heavyweight

Post by mik@el » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:17 am

Great contribution, thanks Piet!
... and out!

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:08 pm

Steve mentioned that Lol has got some problems with his vision which of course is sad but I think Robin mentioned something about that should not prevent him from getting on radio. Let's hope he gets lucky perhaps with a little help from Steve. What happened in 1979 was both sad and unfortunate. But none of us are getting any younger. I just want you to bury the hatchet before it is too late. Us fans has since long ago given up any hope of reunion, like we had with Led Zeppelin, Beatles, ABBA and others. It doesn't matter anymore but it would warm all our hearts if you did. Bitterness is a poison and don't become grumpy old men. You deserve better than that. All of you. For me alone, your music has followed me for 40 bloody years! Can you believe that?
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:30 pm

For me, One of the highlights from the first part of the interview is that Steve said that he and Lol are on speaking terms, in contact, again since a couple of years and that the sharp edges between them are gone. At least that is what I understood.

Besides that, Steve and Chris remained friends and in contact ever since their departure from City Boy. Steve even worked for Chris' rental company.

And an other, funny story is that, before City Boy started, Chris won a local songcontest as a solo performer and Lol/Steve came in 2nd as a duo. From then on they joined forces to have more free drinks, which were apparantly the first prizes of the contest :cheers:

And of course nice to hear which music influenced Steve as a musician and songwriter...