music similar to supertramp

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

beatlesque
Momma's Boy

music similar to supertramp

Post by beatlesque » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Had a craving for Supertramp styled music since I started playing crisis what crisis? and and even in the quietest moments nonstop and noticed a lot of similarities between those albums and City Boy around lets say Hap-Ki-Do Kid and The Ritz album

Geir
Mr Shoes

Re: music similar to supertramp

Post by Geir » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:39 pm

While I don't own a single Supertramp album, I'm currently warming to some of the more pop-oriented music from the seventies that I previously regarded as somewhat (too) light in the guitar department – the 2CD "Pure McCartney" Macca/Wings collection being my latest discovery – so I'll also be curious to see whatever observations may be made on the similarities between City Boy and Supertramp ... and if there are any other bands and artists operating in the same musical territory, then or now?

For whatever it's worth, it always seemed to me that recent UK rockers Cats In Space have quite a few of the seventies' characteristics down musically – not that they make a secret of that, either – but whether any of these obviously have been "borrowed" from Supertramp, I can't really say...
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:54 pm

personally I love virtually every song on "Crime of the Century", "Even in the Quietest Moments" and "Breakfast in America"! never would outwardly related them to CB - but they were from same general period, lotsa vocals and some typical "British" things about them both. I think they both went at "prog rock" in a similar way, as opposed to Yes and Genesis they still held onto a lot of pure pop in their songwriting and arrangements. while still having some heavier prog leanings.

that's my take on it anyway... CB is still my favorite cause they just hit so much of my "sweet spot" musically and lyrically. But I think supertramp has gotten a bit of a bad rap IMO. Whereas CB is virtually too unknown to have a bad rap... :)

hjalb
Car-Eating Man

Post by hjalb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:44 am

I just visited the Toender Festival the alst weekend of august, where I experienced the irish band "Hudson-Taylor". Many of their songs have some very Supertramp sounding songs. I can recommend a listen to those brothers. And while I'm at it, I listened to a band called Anderson East. This must be a must for those who have seen "The Commitments".
Hjalb
Raise your glass to foolish me..!! :shock: :P 8)