Cats in Space

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

christian
Doctor Doctor

Cats in Space

Post by christian » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:18 am

This discussion started in the "Listening to right now" thread but it so important that as dedicated thread is essential!

This new band is made for this forum! They take you straight back to 1976 and represent all traits that we like on this forum! This is what they say on their website:

They are calling it ‘Power Pop Rock’, and their aim is to unashamedly take you back to the heady days of the 1970s when bands like Queen, ELO, 10cc, Supertramp & Sweet, ruled the airwaves.

Yes, ‘Cats in Space’ are retro, yet they have a sound that has been unheard for many years, in fact probably since those American underground pop masters ‘Jellyfish’. Founding ‘cat’ Greg Hart has recruited a wealth of experience to join him in his musical spaceship destined to land here on Earth as we speak. The debut long player is entitled ‘TOO MANY GODS’, is out in October 2015 and consists of a collection of commercial hit songs all played out and produced in an impeccable manner. The debut single ‘Mr Heartache’ written by Greg and 10cc’s Mick Wilson, is released this September and features a guest appearance from the legendary Andy Scott from ‘Sweet’.

The album features soaring multi tracked vocal harmonies nestled alongside guitar orchestrations, dazzling keyboards, bombastic drums, thundering bass and luscious pianos, and the music is there to be enjoyed in one continuous journey, as it used to be in those awesome analogue days

If you mix the bands they mention here (Queen, ELO, 10cc, Supertram, Sweet) what do you get? Something very close to City Boy.

Their album is a treat and I can't stop listening to it - highly recommended to all forumites

Andy H
Heavyweight

Re: Cats in Space

Post by Andy H » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:10 am

Thanks Christian,

Will definitely check that out.

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

runrigsweden
Doctor Doctor

Post by runrigsweden » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:11 am

i agree with you Christian.i belive that many forumsters here might like this.it is a great album that transports you back to the art/poprock sound of the 70s,strong songs and harmony vocals all over the Place. there are a bunch of retro sounding bands out there ,but most of them leans towards the sound of Zeppelin,purple,or sabbath,nothing wrong with that ,but i like it more when they capture the 70s art/poprock sound.
yes i love it.

:cheers: Harry
Last edited by runrigsweden on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:12 am

Well Hell yeah, I'll be checking this one out! sounds like it would be right in my sweet spot.

thanks for the heads up Christian.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:26 am

Cats In Space have my seal of approval, too. A nice little amalgam of melodic rock and hints of probably just about any great '70's pop and/or rock band you can think of. I expect it's highly derivative for those of you who know your Supertramp/10 CC/Wings/Sweet, but I enjoyed it. Some excellent harmonies, as well!

There are two full song videos up on YouTube if you do a search for them there!
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:42 am

Thanks for the tip,.."Last man standing" is quite excellent .So British..and great vocals.Another great band I'll follow!
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 pm

The first vocal lines of this song (last man standing) used to sound familiar to me...I've finally found why.Don't know if you agree,but "Roni come home" by Lol Mason &the Maisonnettes has a similar vocal pattern in the beginning IMO.And I can hear "Mademoiselle" by Styx too!
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too