It's Personal - redesign

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

[email protected]
Heavyweight

It's Personal - redesign

Post by [email protected] » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:17 am

Just for fun I made this redesign of IP, with Queen album "Hot Space" little in mind.

I took the liberty to change the order of the faces, following the same principle as The Beatles "Let It Be"; with the most prominent songwriters on upper deck. Moving Max to right and putting Mike on lower deck, also made for a nice balance between the "brunettes" and the "glasses" guys, I think.

Original lettering of the album title and band name is removed and replaced with the same fonts used for the songtitles, as on "BE" and "HAR". Then the ornamental double lines now surrounds the entire cover.

I think there was budget reasons for inserting lyrics and credits originally on the back, but they are gone in my redesign. Just send me a request and enclose a selfaddressed and stamped envelope, and I will send them to you! :lol:

Finally, I just couldn't resist this golden opportunity to correct the spelling to "La Guerra De Mundo". I made a double check with teachers in both Spanish and Italian, but maybe Lol had some intention for this spelling after all?

ImageImage
... and out!

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Re: It's Personal - redesign

Post by cockatootoo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:18 am

nicely done!

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:24 am

I love it. Better than the "real" cover.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:18 pm

better than the original...
and certainly much better than Hot Space :uhhuh:
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Great job!

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

JOH
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by JOH » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:54 am

Couldn't agree more :D

Far better than the original It's Personal cover

And for Queen - Hot Space is by far the least good (worst) Queen album and cover ever :shock:

Rock On

JOH
Do what you do, do well.....

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am

That's a cool new take on the "It's Personal" artwork, Mikael. I'm however not entirely sure if I like the rearranging of the faces: It's either down to the visual balance of the images changing somewhat or simply the fact that I'm used to seeing it differently ... or possibly both.

Overall, your version is classier and more stylish than the artwork Vertigo went for, though. I've always seen the original as an attempt to mirror the bluntness of personal ads and thus create a sort of concept to suit the album title. What the promo department promptly forgot in the process – or possibly simply didn't care about at all at this stage in the band's career – is that pleasing or creative visuals can shift copies in its own right ... and "It's Personal" is certainly very pedestrian compared to the likes of "Dinner at the Ritz" and "Young Men Gone West".

As for the lyrics, I'm fairly certain that an artwork department led by a certain Mr. Åkerlind would have seen fit to include these on the inner sleeve ... right? :wink:
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)