The first four albums: New reissues due in July.

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Geir
Mr Shoes

The first four albums: New reissues due in July.

Post by Geir » Wed May 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Hey all! :D

Just picked up on this via another music forum: New remasters of the first four albums are due this summer on the (UK based) Cherry Red Records sub-label Lemon Recordings. Here are links to the pages relating to these two releases:

"City Boy" and "Dinner at the Ritz".

"Young Men Gone West" and "Book Early".

The audio is said to be remastered from the original tapes, and the booklets will feature liner notes by well-known UK rock journalist Malcolm Dome. Based on other CD's I've bought from related Cherry Red Records (notable the Esoteric and Hear No Evil sub-labels), I have reasonably high hopes for these re-issues.

As for Malcolm Dome, he will have to be on the top of his game this time around, though. I respect his wide knowledge of rock in general, but I've spotted factual errors in some of his liner notes for another top notch UK re-issue label, Rock Candy Records. (I've secretly hoped the latter label would pick up on City Boy's catalog, but it seems that train is leaving the station now, unfortunately.) ...Anyway, I won't be the only one here on this forum well qualified to call him on any bluffs, I reckon... :wink:

Lemon Recordings have obviously done some pretty good research in terms of the material, though: There are bonus tracks this time around, and - wait for it! – a five song "BBC in Concert" session added to the first album. ...I didn't even know they'd done that in the first place, or at the very least I've managed to forget it, but ... YAY! Cool! 8)

As for the bonus tracks, they are the non-LP ones you'd expect from early-era City Boy, minus "B-I-T-S" and the original version of "What a Night", so ... pretty well done, Lemon Recordings, but not utterly anorak, either, unfortunately!

Perusing the two product pages, you will discover the occasional blunder, "Oldball Dance" and "Odd Dance" being the most obvious ones, but hopefully that's their webmaster having a somewhat dyslexic day ... as opposed to a measure of the CD artwork designer's capabilities, I mean...

By the looks of it, they're also going for the American running order of "Young Men Gone West". I'd rather have the UK version as such, but that is thankfully re-programmable for playback with a little effort.

...I guess that's the short of it, so far: Release dates are July 17th for the debut and "Dinner at the Ritz". The next two see the light the following week.
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Andy H
Heavyweight

Re: The first four albums: New reissues due in July.

Post by Andy H » Wed May 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for the update, Geir :D
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed May 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Yeah thanks for that, Geir. Already placed the order. Annoying typos though.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:15 am

That's great news ! :D
Thanks for the update Geir ! :cheers:

No sign however of TDTECF and HAR, yet.
Renaissance Records did not release these two either.
Issues with rights perhaps ?
(the Bear Tracks releases from the mid-90's are out of print for a long time already as far as I know)
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Thu May 28, 2015 5:04 am

cool news! I'll have to check that out. thx Geir.

BTW, I guess I never knew there was a different running order for YMGW? or considering I'm way older than you, maybe I forgot...?

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Fri May 29, 2015 5:32 am

I remember we discussed the YMGW running order before on the forum, but can't recall the content. In my world it was always Dear Jean first, followed by Bordello Night. Anyone who can shed some light?

And yes, I will order these reissues for sure!

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 am

I'm guessing that Lemon Recordings are testing the waters with these first two re-issues, since nothing has been said so far in terms of progressing to the remaining three albums in the City Boy catalog. I'd like to think that they have a fair chance of selling a few CDs this time around, though, given that none of the previous re-issue campaigns were based out of the UK. Hopefully that may in turn again justify getting around to "The Day the Earth Caught Fire", "Heads Are Rolling" and "It's Personal".

As for Renaissance Records, they eventually wound up re-issuing all City Boy albums on CD. Now while I'll always respect them for making "Dinner at the Ritz", "Young Men Gone West" and "Book Early" available to us on the double disc re-issues, I've considerably less respect for how they handled the City Boy catalog later.

The initial double discs, while not up to the same standards as three CDs that Bear Tracks released, were reasonably professionally handled, I’d say. I’ve seen theories that they are “needle drops” (taken from vinyl records as opposed to the master tapes), but beyond the missing count-in to “She’s Got Style”, I found the audio perfectly acceptable. If perhaps overall a little murky in the treble department, the general sound quality certainly never kept me from playing these discs ... a lot! –I have quite a few other albums/reissues released by Renaissance in the same era which I enjoy, too.

When Renaissance started dealing in compilations and re-reissues over the last ten years or so, however, I lost quite a lot of respect for the label. City Boy wasn’t the only band they did this to: You’ll find that many Renaissance titles from the 1990’s show up “remastered” again during this period, plus other eras of a career the label hasn’t had the rights to release before. Add to that compilations that don’t have a particular logical musical content – say a focus on the band’s singles or something similar – and band/artist involvement equalling zero along the way, and I must admit to feeling somewhat suspicious of the whole label’s modus operandi.

It’s during this period that “The Day the Earth Caught Fire” and “Heads Are Rolling” suddenly turn up in Renaissance’s catalog. I should add that it’s around this time that I buy said label’s reissue of the same titled Shanghai album from 1983, with “remastering” handled by label boss John W. Edwards himself. ...Let’s just say that this man has no business handling audio processing and that it remains one of the most horrific examples I’ve heard of “denoising” a vinyl record. I don’t know if anyone here is familiar with the now defunct European reissue label MTM Classix’ attempt to remaster Canadian band Refugee’s excellent “Affairs in Babylon” record for CD, but “Shanghai” is disaster on a similar epic scale. All the world’s software and computing power won’t help people who can’t hear or don’t care enough to avoid processing artefacts like that. What the artists themselves – involved in both cases this time around – thought the moment they actually heard the results, I don’t even want to guess... Also, would the labels licensing these titles to Renaissance even allow it if they’d heard the unprofessional results? I think somehow not, which makes me wonder if many of the releases in the latter era of Renaissance’s existence might not have been legally licensed at all---

...Okay, so pure speculation on my part for that last bit there, and I hasten to add that I have not heard Renaissance’s editions of “The Day the Earth Caught Fire” and “Heads Are Rolling”. You can probably guess why I gladly stick to my excellent Bear Tracks editions ... up until the Japanese reissue of the former album showed up, anyway! ...Did Renaissance do “It’s Personal” better? Yes, but note that it doesn’t feature the label boss himself on audio processing duty – and there’s of course that impossibly stupid typo which appears a zillion times throughout the artwork. Me, I usually end up playing the vinyl edition instead or Martin Richie’s excellent vinyl transfer circulated within the Rito’s Board camp. (Much speculated to be Renaissance’s source for the remaster at the time, if memory serves.)

Renaissance, by the way, now operate under the handle of itsaboutmusic.com and have, according to a few sources I have, unfortunately “Shanghaied” (see above) a few further so-far-unavailable-on-CD albums by various artists for release in the digital/download realm, amongst other projects. Needless to say, I’m glad to see other labels tackling City Boy’s catalog, presumably licensing from Universal UK and using the original master tapes in the process.

Anyway, rant over. With regards to the running order of “Young Men Gone West”, it’s simply over which track opens the album, as Christian outlines. UK and European editons of the original LP had “Dear Jean (I’m Nervous)” as the opener, while US and Canada seemingly bumped up “Bordello Night” to the starting line. I recall stumbling across a Canadian import version on used LP after having lived with a regular European/Scandinavian edition for a year or two, and thus being a little surprised when I put the former on. Like Christian, I find that a “Young Men Gone West” universe that doesn’t start with Lol’s tales of life as a “head boy” is a strange one, indeed! ...I don’t think we ever came to a conclusion in our former discussions, but I’ve always assumed that something more commercial was deemed suitable to open the proceedings in the US?
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 am

I got mine today. :D

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:54 am

That's great !
Review please... after a couple of spins... :)

Leo camoose
Heavyweight

Post by Leo camoose » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Got mine!

Most interesting are the liner notes where Dunn and Slamer is interviewed by Malcolm Dome!
Some interesting stories there :shock: :D

Great to hear "Medicine", "Turn on to Jesus" and "Teleulah" in sort of good sound quality and
the 5 live tracks from the BBC sessions are "Funny", A Band in its birth face! :yikes: :uhhuh:

I can't hear any improvement in sound, but Hey.....The Originals already sounded great!

Record Company say they will see how these releases sell before deciding on a re-issue of the remaining albums

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:08 pm

According to Mike there was no voting out. Haven't seen Chris around or Max for that matter for a long time. Would be interesting to hear their comments. According to Mike, Steve and Chris wanted to go in a more comercial direction while the others wanted to go more in a progressive direction. A personal reflection of mine is, why didn't they compromise and did both? Worked out fine for some bands like Styx and Supertramp to name just but a few. Chris and Steve could have written the airplay friendly material for charts and DJ's and such while the rest would go in a heavier or proggier direction doing more of album material.

- Rod Serling

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 am

remarkable... imho the last two albums, without Chris and Steve, are the least progressive of all seven...

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:58 am

1after2 wrote:remarkable... imho the last two albums, without Chris and Steve, are the least progressive of all seven...
Exactly what I was going to say! Especially "HAR", featuring tracks like "Speechless" and "You're Leaving Me" which are even timeless I think, and could have been written for any of those boy bands today.
... and out!

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:54 pm

1after2 wrote:remarkable... imho the last two albums, without Chris and Steve, are the least progressive of all seven...
You can't take everything seriously. Remember back when John accused Paul of only writing "silly love songs"? Well, it wasn't John who penned Helter Skelter. No one can with even the best of intentions call that a love song. That must have been the closest thing to punk 8 years before anyone even had a clue about the concept. And Steve did some good rockers too.

- Rod Serling

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:17 am

Robin_Shadowes wrote:Remember back when John accused Paul of only writing "silly love songs"? Well, it wasn't John who penned Helter Skelter. No one can with even the best of intentions call that a love song. That must have been the closest thing to punk 8 years before anyone even had a clue about the concept. And Steve did some good rockers too.
You are talking single songs now, but in general Paul did write silly love songs :mrgreen:.
... and out!