Styx(again!)

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Styx(again!)

Post by bertrand » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 am

I've recently found a book on Amazon called "the Grand delusion"(the unauthorized story of Styx) by Sterling Whitaker. What a great book.It tells you everything,from this little Chicago combo to the biggest multi-platinum records seller of the 80'.Dennis De Young's complex behaviour and Tommy Shaw's antics are well documented and that's a fantastic insight into the history of a very particular -and misunderstood (IMO)band
As a matter of fact,I've been listening a lot to Styx these last days (including the first Wooden Nickel LP's) and I think they were(De Young particularly) well ahead of their time.
You can find on You tube the 1997 "Return to Paradise" concert with the classic line upcan (except original drummer John Panozzo).What a fantastic show.Well these guys really can play and sing!-and De Young and Shaw are great showmen too.Strongly recommended!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6ccWZJo4I
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

christian
Doctor Doctor

Re: Styx(again!)

Post by christian » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 am

I like Styx very much, I find all their albums up until Cornerstone very good. The Serpent is Rising was my first acquaintance with Styx and I still find it one of their best. Paradise Theater is OK but you can already feel the edge numbing....

If you have some recommendations covering their latter albums I am interested. I haven't have time to listen to them in depth

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Well,I must admit that last Styx purchase was Cyclorama,some years ago and I don't really know what they 're doing today".A good album for sure but Laurence Gowan is not Dennis de Young.The band is still amazing ,thanks to Tommy Shaw but the magic is not there anymore.I was a big follower till the Paradise album."Serpent is rising"..I like it very much too and it's funny Because De Young said one day it was the worst thing they ever did!"Man of miracle" their last"vintage" album for Wooden Nickel is excellent too IMO.
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Interesting post bertrand.

One of my favorite Styx albums is Cornerstone, one which I find most people do not name as a great Styx album. Of all the albums from Kilroy on back I would have to say that Paradise Theater is my least favorite, but my opinion may be based more on the negative aspects of my life at the time of the album's release and how that has impacted my connection to the music.

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:38 am

Cornerstone is great indeed, even though you can sense that they were moving towards a more mainstream sound.

JOH
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by JOH » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:39 pm

"Cornerstone" and "Pieces Of Eight" are the highlights in my opinion - truly ahead of their time - and still holds their quality some 35 years later....

Overall Styx one of my favorite US bands of the 70's along with Boston, Eagles and Kansas.

Rock On....

JOH
Do what you do, do well.....