Mike Slamer - Seventh Key

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

al
Heavyweight

Re: Mike Slamer - Seventh Key

Post by al » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:30 pm

bertrand wrote:.The "Dennis de Young playing Styx" double cd is really good BTW
It appears we saw the same Kansas and Styx tours, bertrand.

I am unfamiliar with Dennis' double cd. I need to check it out. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:37 pm

al wrote:Hi Andy,

Now I feel I should have gone!

Regardless, I have seen them both enough times, so I feel no real loss. I first saw Kansas on their "Point Of Know Return" tour in December, '77, in Pittsburgh. First saw Styx the following summer.

I am still mindful of Styx with their original lineup (Tommy Shaw years) since I was such a fan during that time period. The last time I saw the original members together was In '82 - Kilroy.

Obviously I've seen both bands far more often with replacement members. The only replacement guy between the two bands that I feel fits in like an original member is bassist Billy Greer., with Kansas.

How about you Andy? How often have you seen either of them?
Only saw Styx the one time - Line-up was Lawrence Gowan on vocals, JY, Tommy Shaw, Todd Sucherman, Ricky Phillips and Chuck Panozzo made an appearance on bass.

Never saw Kansas, but did see Kerry Livgren with AD when I was in college. Unfortunately didn't know who he was at the time, or I would have appreciated him much more!!! :oops:

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 am

al wrote:

I am unfamiliar with Dennis' double cd. I need to check it out. I'm glad you mentioned it.
Well, if you like the original Styx sound,you'll like this one.The greatest hits are there with some nice orchestral arrangements.The band is pretty solid and DeYoung 's voice is still powerful.
OK,he still speaks too much between the songs and he wants you to know how much in love he is with his wife :)) -but that's a minor problem :D
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Andy H wrote:
al wrote:?
Only saw Styx the one time - Line-up was Lawrence Gowan on vocals, JY, Tommy Shaw, Todd Sucherman, Ricky Phillips and Chuck Panozzo made an appearance on bass.

Never saw Kansas, but did see Kerry Livgren with AD when I was in college. Unfortunately didn't know who he was at the time, or I would have appreciated him much more!!! :oops:

Andy.
Well now I understand why you mentioned this recent gig in my home town. Both Styx and Kansas were awesome in their day - specifically, with original lineups during the '70s.

I must admit that Kansas is (imo) the best "live" band around. They have always had a polished show, even to this day. They sound as good live as any studio recording. The only problem that has developed is Steve's voice is gone now. Otherwise, they are exceptional.

I never gave much attention to drummers, but I am blown away at the perfection and stunning sound Phil Ehart gets out of his drumming. I believe Rich Williams guitar playing sounds better live than in the studio.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:29 pm

bertrand wrote:
al wrote:

Well, if you like the original Styx sound,you'll like this one.The greatest hits are there with some nice orchestral arrangements.The band is pretty solid and DeYoung 's voice is still powerful.
OK,he still speaks too much between the songs and he wants you to know how much in love he is with his wife :)) -but that's a minor problem :D
The thing that began to annoy me was that Dennis would give his speach at every show mentioning how we should all follow our dreams. Really started getting old!

Again, thanks for mentioning the Dennis cd. I'll check it out.

Leo camoose
Heavyweight

Post by Leo camoose » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Always a pleasure to hear Mike's guitar work! Cool album with the song "The only one" as a highlight for me 8)

hjalb
Car-Eating Man

Post by hjalb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 am

Seventh Key still sounds much like KANSAS, which is okay by me. I saw Kansas 3 years ago at a koncert in Sonderburg in Denmark. a little crowded place with only about 400 viewers. But a great koncert and I had the luck to talk to Billy Greer afterwards.
Since I'll never get to see CB this was the koncert of my life so far!!
And I'm looking foreward to getting this 3rd album fro /th Key!
Hjalb

Raise your glass to foolish me..!!
8) :P :cheers:

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Andy H wrote:
al wrote:
Andy H wrote:
al wrote:I just wish we could get them to do a live gig for us loyalists.
Al,

I see Styx and Kansas were in your neck of the woods recently - did you get to see them?

Andy.
Hi Andy

I did not go to the local show. The wife wanted to go but I am burned out on both Styx and Kansas.

Styx with only two original members has gotten a bit dry and last time we saw them James Young's facelift left him with a permanent smile, which got to me.

As for Kansas - I have had enough of Steve Walsh.

However, I have heard the show was great and Styx was the best they have been in years. The show was only sold 50%, so seating would have been comfortable .

Suppose I should have gone.
I'd love to have gone! Disappointing that they only sold 50%, I suppose if they're touring the same market continuously, fatigue can set in.
I had to travel to Manchester, England to see Styx a free years ago (on the same bill as Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy). The nearest I've got to Kansas is the Device Voice Drum DVD! They're on my bucket list, but I'm not holding out hope of them travelling to Europe in the near future.

Andy.
Finally got to see Kansas in London on 17th July. What an amazing show. Mrs H is a huge fan as well, so it was a real thrill for both of us. It was particularly special because it was one of Steve Walsh's last gigs before he retires from Kansas. Brilliant band, effortlessly playing really complex music - just a great show. :D

Now, to find Alan Parsons playing somewhere local...!!!
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....