Mike Slamer - Seventh Key

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

JOH
Hap-ki-do kid

Mike Slamer - Seventh Key

Post by JOH » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:47 am

The long awaited 3rd Seventh Key album will be out november first.
The album ("I Will Survive") will feature Billy Greer on vocals - and Mike Slamer on guitars, bass, keyboards - and of course a spot-on production with clear references to both "Kansas" and "Streets"

Rock On !!

Oh... and by the way - New Boston album "Life, Love And Hope" will after 11 years of waiting, be out at december 3rd.

JOH
Do what you do, do well.....

al
Heavyweight

Re: Mike Slamer - Seventh Key

Post by al » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:39 am

Thanks for posting this information. I am certain Seventh Key will be good. I hope Boston is good too.
----
I checked out Billy Greer's web site and there is an interview with both Mike and Billy regarding the new cd.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:21 am

I think Seventh Key repeated themselves too much on the previous albums although they had a nice sound. BUT I REALLY like this new song which is slightly more progressive and alive! :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADsH0hcEJU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oxPP_qLAGM

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:23 am

very cool song! snippets of the others sound good too. nice to see a "semi" interview with Mike.

I look forward to hearing this album.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:24 am

I'm not a big fan of synthesizer solos (organ solos are ok though, especially if they are performed by Jon Lord!) because they tend to overuse the pitch bend stick A LOT in progressive rock, but this solo was very cool! And I like how they double up with guitar towards the end.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:47 pm

I just wish we could get them to do a live gig for us loyalists.

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:49 pm

al wrote:I just wish we could get them to do a live gig for us loyalists.
Al,

I see Styx and Kansas were in your neck of the woods recently - did you get to see them?

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Andy H wrote:
Al,

I see Styx and Kansas were in your neck of the woods recently - did you get to see them?

Andy.
Hi Andy

I did not go to the local show. The wife wanted to go but I am burned out on both Styx and Kansas.

Styx with only two original members has gotten a bit dry and last time we saw them James Young's facelift left him with a permanent smile, which got to me.

As for Kansas - I have had enough of Steve Walsh.

However, I have heard the show was great and Styx was the best they have been in years. The show was only sold 50%, so seating would have been comfortable .

Suppose I should have gone.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:02 am

The album is available now on Spotify! Listening right now.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:34 am

First impression: the title track is great but the others are more or less fillers with some exceptions. I was hoping for more variation. :roll:

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 am

PerG wrote:First impression: the title track is great but the others are more or less fillers with some exceptions. I was hoping for more variation. :roll:
I am expecting to get a similar impression of the music. I keep hoping for something more for 7K though I'm still thrilled to have the music.

Jonas
Momma's Boy

Post by Jonas » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:18 am

I like it. A little bit different from the others. Strong melodies in the chorus and clever guitartwork in the verses, reminds sometimes from the guitar in heads are rolling album(state of mind). A little bit of streets,kansas, Asia, journey, deep purple mix. It sounds better in surround played loud. Mike is still producing music in his 60s something, keep on rocking Mike.
jba

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:03 am

al wrote:
Andy H wrote:
Al,

Andy.
Hi Andy

I did not go to the local show. The wife wanted to go but I am burned out on both Styx and Kansas.

Styx with only two original members has gotten a bit dry and last time we saw them James Young's facelift left him with a permanent smile, which got to me.

As for Kansas - I have had enough of Steve Walsh.

However, I have heard the show was great and Styx was the best they have been in years. The show was only sold 50%, so seating would have been comfortable .

Suppose I should have gone.
I'd love to have gone! Disappointing that they only sold 50%, I suppose if they're touring the same market continuously, fatigue can set in.
I had to travel to Manchester, England to see Styx a free years ago (on the same bill as Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy). The nearest I've got to Kansas is the Device Voice Drum DVD! They're on my bucket list, but I'm not holding out hope of them travelling to Europe in the near future.

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi Andy,

Now I feel I should have gone!

Regardless, I have seen them both enough times, so I feel no real loss. I first saw Kansas on their "Point Of Know Return" tour in December, '77, in Pittsburgh. First saw Styx the following summer.

I am still mindful of Styx with their original lineup (Tommy Shaw years) since I was such a fan during that time period. The last time I saw the original members together was In '82 - Kilroy.

Obviously I've seen both bands far more often with replacement members. The only replacement guy between the two bands that I feel fits in like an original member is bassist Billy Greer., with Kansas.

How about you Andy? How often have you seen either of them?

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:45 am

Both bands were magic in their heydays..Saw Kansas in Paris (77 I think) with Cheap Trick opening for them (Strange bill!!CT were booed-and that was unfair-but the audience was 100% progster,and not open minded (only in France!)
I remember Styx in Paris in 78 and they went down a storm.Dennis and Tommy were great.I remember we were all singin' the chorus on "Come sail away" :D
Last thing I ve heard from Styx is "Cyclorama",a very good record.
Shaw is a fantastic musician IMO but I miss De Young voice and tunes.The "Dennis de Young playing Styx" double cd is really good BTW
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too