Our OTHER boys

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Germain
Hap-ki-do kid

Our OTHER boys

Post by Germain » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 am

Did any of you see this on Yahoo tonight?

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-p ... 11971.html

I find the thought of a junior Beatles band intriguing, in a voyeristic sort of way, but I don't think it would work. Too many comparisons to suffer from, just like poor Julian Lennon in the 80's.

How about the Beatle gene pool though? As my mother used to say, they could never deny their sons. Dhani is the mirror image of George, Sean definatly favors John, as does Julian, as I recall. Zak looks like Ringo junior for sure. And, James shares many of Paul's features. Lucky boys!

Roz

christian
Doctor Doctor

Re: Our OTHER boys

Post by christian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 am

(almost) on this subject; I saw McCartney senior last week at a concert here in Zurich! A dream came through, since the real thing will not play this is as close as seeing the Beatles you can get today. Very impressive indeed! This 70-year old guy playing non-stop for three hours, swapping bass, piano and guitar and presenting a blend of songs from early Beatles to mcCartney in 2012 (My Valentine).

The set list was positiviley surprising to me, including a number of non-traditional songs including Lennon-songs like Day Tripper, The Word and A Day in the Life!!!! Helter Skelter as an encore is not bad either, and the whole thingt ending with the last half of the Abbedy Road medley. magic!

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Interesting subject, Roz. I have mixed feelings about this. While I do agree that the musically inclined of the Beatles' children have gotten more talent that the average person, and most also bear an uncanny resembelance to their fathers, you just can't get that lucky twice. Best leave well enough alone.

The Beatles were magical. A one in a million shot, this band with all the egos, diverse personalities, mix of talents, and the drive were just the right recipe. All the pieces fell into place and the resulting music was ahead of it's time, timely, and timeless. You can't expect to hit that trifecta again, ever.

And while no one is more suited to carry on the legacy than these young men, I think it would be a mistake. The draw would mostly be curiousity, and they could never live up to the expectations. Rosalind is right. Look what happened to Julian Lennon. He was called a pale imitation of John, he was accused of trying to sound like him, copying his style, and cashing in on the Lennon name. Totally unfair.

John Lennon once said, "You can't be that hungry twice". We're never going to see the likes of the them again.

Oh, and one more thing...can anyone imagine what sort of stage mother from hell Yoko might be!

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:58 pm

christian wrote:(almost) on this subject; I saw McCartney senior last week at a concert here in Zurich! A dream came through, since the real thing will not play this is as close as seeing the Beatles you can get today. Very impressive indeed! This 70-year old guy playing non-stop for three hours, swapping bass, piano and guitar and presenting a blend of songs from early Beatles to mcCartney in 2012 (My Valentine).

The set list was positiviley surprising to me, including a number of non-traditional songs including Lennon-songs like Day Tripper, The Word and A Day in the Life!!!! Helter Skelter as an encore is not bad either, and the whole thingt ending with the last half of the Abbedy Road medley. magic!
Wow, that does sound wonderful. I've seen him several times live and he never fails to deliver the whole package. The years seem to melt off him when he's up on stage. Awesome performer.
Jo
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Laurelei wrote:Interesting subject, Roz. I have mixed feelings about this. While I do agree that the musically inclined of the Beatles' children have gotten more talent that the average person, and most also bear an uncanny resembelance to their fathers, you just can't get that lucky twice. Best leave well enough alone.

The Beatles were magical. A one in a million shot, this band with all the egos, diverse personalities, mix of talents, and the drive were just the right recipe. All the pieces fell into place and the resulting music was ahead of it's time, timely, and timeless. You can't expect to hit that trifecta again, ever.

And while no one is more suited to carry on the legacy than these young men, I think it would be a mistake. The draw would mostly be curiousity, and they could never live up to the expectations. Rosalind is right. Look what happened to Julian Lennon. He was called a pale imitation of John, he was accused of trying to sound like him, copying his style, and cashing in on the Lennon name. Totally unfair.

John Lennon once said, "You can't be that hungry twice". We're never going to see the likes of the them again.

Oh, and one more thing...can anyone imagine what sort of stage mother from hell Yoko might be!

Jo 8)
One thing that has occurred to me is how much of the luggage of the fathers that are lumped over their children when it comes to the music business. It's not at all like that in the acting/movie business. Kiefer Sutherland never has to wear the luggage of his father Donald or Charlie Sheen that of his father Martin. Funny how they can have fine careers independent of their also famous fathers. It is perhaps lucky Duncan "Zowie" Jones chosed a career as a director in view of this light. Had he became a musician he would always be compared with his legendary father.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling