Favorite & least favorite City Boy tune

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Favorite & least favorite City Boy tune

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:06 pm

Here's another thought for everyone to consider. What's your favorite & least favorite City Boy song? For obvious reasons, the choice for your favorite should be a difficult one & the choice for your least favorite should be easy. <P>As for my favorite, of course there are many. But if I have to choose one, it has to be Machines from the album Day The Earth Caught Fire. That song just absolutely kicks ass. So does that album. Roy Ward's vocals on that one are awesome.<P>My least favorite? No question, hands down, it's Narcissus from the album Dinner At The Ritz. The instrumental part in the middle is OK. But otherwise it's just one big sloppy mess, in my opinion. Maybe if it had been executed differently, I don't know. A close second goes to Dangerous Ground from the Book Early album. That one just kind of plods along, although the keyboard work by Max Thomas is pretty good. <P>Those are my choices. What are yours?

Stefan Polzer
Hap-ki-do kid

Re: Favorite & least favorite City Boy tune

Post by Stefan Polzer » Fri Feb 02, 2001 10:05 am

It´s not an easy task, well more like impossible. But I´ll give it a go anyway.<P>Favourite song (for the moment) would be "Cigarettes" from the "Book Early" album.<P>Least favourite song is if possible even harder, but I´ll go for "The Hap-Ko-Do Kid" from the first album. I do like it but it´s the track that I least like!
Of all the things I should've said, that I never said. <BR>All the things we should've done, that we never did. <BR>All the things I should've given, but I didn't.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 06, 2001 1:07 am

I know we had this discussion way back on the old boards, and I really had to think very long to come to my favourite track. But I remember well: It had to be Ambition. From the very first guitar intro to the fabulous rythmic shift and all the way to the final this is the greatest work they did.<P>I never liked Medicine or Teleulah. Both not to be found on any album, but rather weird songs. "guerra de mondo"is another one that wasn't necessary on IP

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:06 pm

My favourite CB song would have to be "Rat Race",although it lacks the fabulous harmony vocals of yore since Steve Broughton was out of the band,it still remains one of the catchiest song i have ever heard.The beginning is just brilliant with Roy Ward bellowing out the opening line and the guitar and keyboards come in in opposite channels.And the drums are just fantastic.Too bad it's on "It's Personal",otherwise i'm sure it would have been one of CB's best loved songs.And my least favourite?Well,that's obviously a tough one,but i think it has to be "You're Leaving Me".Sounds like something they fished out of Barry Manillow's wastepaper basket.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:09 am

Wow...this is a very tough question...I don't think I can come up with one favourite CB song...I think it would have to be a tie between "Ambition" and "Machines" from TDTECF; "Cigarettes" from Book Early and either "Need a Little Lovin'" or maybe "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" from Heads Are Rolling...I absolutely love Mike's jammin', melodic solo in the bridge of that song! It's really rockin', concise and to the point! Also, is there anyone else out there who wonders why "Summer in the Schoolyard" or "Change In the Weather" were not heavily promoted by the record label (regardless of CB's status)...both are great Pop/Rock tunes and I think that "Change In the Weather" has to be one of the best sleeper Pop/Rock melodies of all time! It shoulda been a hit!<P> My least favourite? Hmmm...I think maybe "You're Leavin' Me"...I agree with the writer above, except to me the song sounds exactly like Air Supply (which is ironic, because THEY had many hits in the US I believe in either 1980 or 1981 with almost the same sound and arrangement!).

Thisdream2
Momma's Boy

Post by Thisdream2 » Thu Feb 15, 2001 10:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirk W.:<BR><B>Wow...this is a very tough question...I don't think I can come up with one favourite CB song...I think it would have to be a tie between "Ambition" and "Machines" from TDTECF; "Cigarettes" from Book Early and either "Need a Little Lovin'" or maybe "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" from Heads Are Rolling...I absolutely love Mike's jammin', melodic solo in the bridge of that song! It's really rockin', concise and to the point! Also, is there anyone else out there who wonders why "Summer in the Schoolyard" or "Change In the Weather" were not heavily promoted by the record label (regardless of CB's status)...both are great Pop/Rock tunes and I think that "Change In the Weather" has to be one of the best sleeper Pop/Rock melodies of all time! It shoulda been a hit!<P> My least favourite? Hmmm...I think maybe "You're Leavin' Me"...I agree with the writer above, except to me the song sounds exactly like Air Supply (which is ironic, because THEY had many hits in the US I believe in either 1980 or 1981 with almost the same sound and arrangement!). </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Air Supply was quite popular in the US. I personally couldn't stand em, or Reo Speedwagon. The vocals were irritating to the ears..kinda like nails scratched along a chalk board...<P>Mary

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2001 12:29 pm

Your're right,Mary.Both Air Supply and Reo Speedwagon(what a stupid name!)were awful,but so were so many American bands in the early 80's.It was a trying time.

Joe
Narcissus

Post by Joe » Thu May 10, 2001 10:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee G:<BR><B>Here's another thought for everyone to consider. What's your favorite & least favorite City Boy song? For obvious reasons, the choice for your favorite should be a difficult one & the choice for your least favorite should be easy. <P>As for my favorite, of course there are many. But if I have to choose one, it has to be Machines from the album Day The Earth Caught Fire. That song just absolutely kicks ass. So does that album. Roy Ward's vocals on that one are awesome.<P>My least favorite? No question, hands down, it's Narcissus from the album Dinner At The Ritz. The instrumental part in the middle is OK. But otherwise it's just one big sloppy mess, in my opinion. Maybe if it had been executed differently, I don't know. A close second goes to Dangerous Ground from the Book Early album. That one just kind of plods along, although the keyboard work by Max Thomas is pretty good. <P>Those are my choices. What are yours? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I take it your not too much of a art rock fan,.<P>

peter6604
Narcissus

Post by peter6604 » Fri May 11, 2001 12:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirk W.:<BR><B>Also, is there anyone else out there who wonders why "Summer in the Schoolyard" or "Change In the Weather" were not heavily promoted by the record label (regardless of CB's status)...both are great Pop/Rock tunes and I think that "Change In the Weather" has to be one of the best sleeper Pop/Rock melodies of all time! It shoulda been a hit!<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I always has wondered why "Summer in the Schoolyard" did'nt hit the charts as it's my absolute favourite song by City Boy!<P><P>------------------<BR>Peter from Linkoping, Sweden
Peter from Linkoping, Sweden

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Choosing a favorite CB song is a difficult task. At this moment I will go with TDTECF.

Least favorite? I'll hold off for now. Almost seems like an insult!

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am

Difficult indeed! It also changes over time. i have chosen to take the song that has been my favourite most consistently over the years and that is "Dinner at the Ritz". I still listen to it frequently and have not gotten tired of it.

My least favourite is the totally unnecessary "Guerra del Mondo"

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:07 am

Hi Christian!

I am glad you had the courage to select a least favorite. Now that you have, I would have to agree with you.
Somebody posted above (18 years ago!) citing the same song.

As for my favorite song, it changes as often as the weather, but maybe I have a top 10 rotation based on my mood.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:57 am

Favourites would be either "Walk on the Water", "Up in the Eighties" or "Bloody Sunday".

What's wrong with "La Guerra..."? :mrgreen: My least favourite would be "Honeymooners".
... and out!

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 am

Hi Mikael!

Nice selections for favorite tune.

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:32 am

Bloody Sunday is the best song they did "post-Steve" in my mind