ELO/CITY BOY SEPERATED AT BIRTH

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

ELO/CITY BOY SEPERATED AT BIRTH

Post by mrshoes » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 pm

just been listening to lots of ELO,i tend to do this,pick on a band and play mothing else all night.this was inspired by a trip to felixstowe today where in the charity shop i picked up ELO OUT OF THE BLUE,LIVE dvd for £1its from 78 but a great concert with the spaceship etc,but it got me thinking{never a good thing i know} but both brum bands,not far removed in time in history,did some of ELO rub off on city boy,or did jeff lynne hear city boy and base ELO on them ,i rather fear it was the first but you never know !!!!discuss

Laurelei
Generalissima

Re: ELO/CITY BOY SEPERATED AT BIRTH

Post by Laurelei » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:15 am

That's an interesting question. I have to say I think of ELO as two different entities. There was the earlier stuff that was far more creative and interesting...like Eldorado. Then there was the more mainstream or pop ELO of the later albums. I don't think I hear much of an ELO influence in CB or the other way round.

I have caught hints of other bands pop up in CB, but not often. They were unique.

Geoff, I caught the Out Of The Blue tour. Only time I ever saw them live. They put on a great show.

Jo
Too damn hard...

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:25 am

Laurelei wrote:I don't think I hear much of an ELO influence in CB or the other way round.

On "What A Night" they came pretty close.
... and out!

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:02 pm

jo,that must have been a great thing to see,it looked good on dvd and if you were close enough at the gig i guess pretty good too.ELO or to be precise jeff lynne really came out with some great songs,telephone line,wild west hero,i think i like the ballady side,he was [is] a big beatles fan which is obvious, but in his own right a great writer musician etc.as a brummie i am a little biased towards groups from this city ,unless they are crappy,didnt like dexys midnight runners,as a side note when i was in a band we were booked to play an outdoor gig in a rough part of brum [saltley] when we got there with our long hair and rock the local ladies and gentlemen decided it wasnt for them so we ran for our lives,the support band played the whole gig instead.i wonder what ever happened to that that UB40.another time we turned up in stafford,we were called FORCE,what we didnt know was there was another local band of the same name,so when we walked on we became target practise for bottles and glasses,probably about the scariest thing to happen.we had to try and dismantle the gear on stage while subject to abuse and violence,mobile phones didnt exist then so we couldnt phone the police,the pub manager was as pissed off as the crowd so he didnt help!!
ahhhh,happy days, got quite a few stories like that,not always bad.we had a residency at the swan on the coventry road,this i think was the biggest pub in europe at the time,i might be wrong,but some bikers took a shine to us because we played loads of AC/DC before they were really well known,a few times we had to explain to people,no we didnt write that sorry.our first singer was a junkie,we fell foul of the brum gangland cartel called the fewtrells who owned just about everything in the city then and i hit robert plant in the testicles,accidently.
Maybe that should be my next topic,which rock star have you hit in the testicles lol.
Geoff

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:23 am

Close, yeah, we were close. It was a festival show, so there was no floor seating; just a mass of people on the floor pushing their way up to the front. A bit scary really, but we figured a way to be right up near the rail, and maintain a bit of space, too. They played great, very tight, and it was a wonderful show.

Jo
Too damn hard...

Germain
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Germain » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 am

Hey Jo,
Boy do I remember that show! It was a bit alarming but so worth it!
ELO put on a great show with their awesome songs and laser and light show. I well remember how tight and hot it got in that crowd but oh the music! Do you remember how glad we were when the stage smoke (really dry ice) was expelled? It brought a momentary relief from the extreme heat.
ELO is definately right up there on my list of favorites- right behind you know who.
I am not sure that I see much if any similarity to CB except maybe the vocals at times.
None the less,Cityboy and ELO,along with Queen,Peter Frampton,Eagles,Journey,just epitomized my formative years in my teens. They were the soundtrack to my life and brought and still do bring much happiness.
Germain :wink:

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:32 am

Hey Germain,

We did see some awesome shows, didn't we? I'm going to miss that big venue when they tear it down. At least the theatre is still there!

Jo
Too damn hard...

Martin
Car-Eating Man

Post by Martin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am

As both bands were from Birmingham I think it quite possible that some influences were shared.

Early ELO with one of the founder members being Roy Wood no doubt did sound different compared to after he left and formed his own band, Wizzard (Early ELO playing tracks such as 10538 Overture and Roll Over Beethoven etc.)
Thank you - I love you all!

cdtheduck
Band Member

Post by cdtheduck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:09 am

The only reason for any comparison with ELO that I am aware of was as a result of using Louis Clark to handle the string arrangement on 5705. Lou is credited with string arrangements on all of the five ELO records that I have with the exception of "On The Third Day".

Le Canard

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Geoff, we are all eagerly awaiting to hear what other rock stars you have accidentally hit on the nuts. :))
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:10 am

well robin i cant claim to have hit any other stars in the gentlemans area,what happened that day i was rehearsing with a band at a studio in birmingham called rich bitch and i was carrying a heavy amp and a guitar case.as i pushed open a heavy door it opened quickly as someone pulled it,i stumbled through head down and my guitar case caught the said area of said star.i looked up saying "sorry mate" to see a not too happy robert plant looking back.he may have had a tear in his eye i dont remember ! but no words were exchanged,i just died on the spot and hurried on,looking back i wish i had got his autograph,but probably would have got a smack instead,,aaahhh memories. lol

Martin
Car-Eating Man

Post by Martin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if both City Boy and ELO had listened to The Beatle's "Abbey Road" a few years earlier - harmonies, guitars, orhestration etc. could have been an influence to some degree.....
Thank you - I love you all!

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:27 pm

How about looking at bands where some of us do hear similaraties. I've never gotten why they were compared to Queen, 10cc, etc, but I have always heard a lot of City Boy in Crack The Sky for example.

Jo
Too damn hard...

cdtheduck
Band Member

Post by cdtheduck » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:53 am

Laurelei wrote:How about looking at bands where some of us do hear similaraties. I've never gotten why they were compared to Queen, 10cc, etc, but I have always heard a lot of City Boy in Crack The Sky for example.

Jo

Slamer's guitar style was compared with Brian May of Queen....probably because of the harmony lead guitar parts....although in City Boy the lead harmony was done by Max on keys. In Queen the lead was just double-tracked by Brian....which is why Queen had problems reproducing their songs live. In fact, when I saw them at Madison Square Garden many, many moons ago they couldn't even reproduce the accapella part in Bohemian Rhapsody......they just walked off the stage and let the tape play!! Steve and I saw a cover band in a bar in Detroit and they performed Bohemian Rhapsody perfectly all the way through...no tapes required!! Mike was also likened to Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple) and Bill Nelson (Be Bop Deluxe). As far as 10CC were concerned, I just think it was a combination of great melodies, fine vocal harmonies, clever, humorous lyrics and the fact that we were fellow Brits that lead people to compare us to them. Some reviews also compared us to Steely Dan, The Tubes and even Frank Zappa!! And, of course, as mentioned previously, ELO. Curiously enough I haven't really listened to Crack The Sky but I give them an ear and let you know what I think!

Super-chatty info-quacker.

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 am

Oh do check Crack The Sky out...great band. I would recommend their first, self titled album, Safety In Numbers and Animal Notes. And I hear a lot of similarities between the two bands.

Jo Ann
Too damn hard...