CD BOY 2. - Liner Notes & Song Discussion

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Re: CD BOY 2. - Liner Notes & Song Discussion

Post by MartinS » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 am

I love the Caamora track so I just ordered the 2CD version of it from www.ginza.se. They did not have any in store and it is not a CD they will have in store so they will order it for me. This might take some time. But I guess it's well worth the wait.

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I found the Caamora CD in my mailbox tody :D

Have not had time to listen yet though..

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:15 am

I love this track too.And the "3" track is really really good.In fact the whole cd is excellent :lol:
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

L.A.Fan
Mr Shoes

Post by L.A.Fan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:22 am

Here is some info on Todd Kerns the artist on track 3

Todd Kerns is the voice of Canuck legends THE AGE OF ELECTRIC and their critically acclaimed spin-off STATIC IN STEREO. Now as a thriving solo artist and producer/songwriter Todd is very much alive and well. He has played on legendary stages from The Whiskey A Go Go and The Roxy in LA to CBGBs in New York City to Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto and has no intention of stopping anytime soon.

Born and reared in the heartland of the Canadian praries Todd first garnered attention with his first band THE AGE OF ELECTRIC who went on to attain Gold selling status as well as being nominated for a Juno (Canada’s Grammy). THE AGE OF ELECTRIC worked with luminary producers Bob Rock (Metallica) and Gil Norton (Foo Fighters) and are still remembered as one of Canada’s favorite alternative rockers.

After THE AGE OF ELECTRIC Todd and brother, former AOE bass player, John formed STATIC IN STEREO with youngest brother Ryan. STATIC IN STEREO’s self titled album went on to receive critical acclaim and secured Todd’s place as a fixture on the Canadian music scene.

In 2004 Todd released his first solo album GO TIME. A collection of original songs influenced by the artists closest to Todd’s heart including T-Rex, Bowie, MC5 and The Stooges, GO TIME swells and bursts with attitude and swagger.

Todd has appeared on albums by such artists as THE MATTHEW GOOD BAND, BIF NAKED and most recently lent his voice to the successful project called THE NEVERENDING WHITE LIGHTS which is currently burning up the Canadian music charts. He is respected as one of Canada’s most dependable vocalists.

Recently Todd has delved into his other passion, production and songwriting with other artists. He has produced and written with a number of artists and continues to share his knowledge of all things musical with artists he believes in. Artists such as BRITT BLACK, MOTION SOUNDTRACK, SUPERBEING, THE FLAIRS, SEVENTH RAIN, JOSHUA’S HABIT, A SINGLE FEW, AKA and more have all benefited from Todd’s helping hand.

In 2007 Todd joined FASTER PUSSYCAT as part of their 20th anniversary tour. Todd's skill as guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and producer have been a huge asset to the resurrection of FP. The tour has stretched through the US, UK and Europe and plans for Japan and South America are in the works. Finally the world will discover Todd's many talents. Todd’s charity work with The White Ribbon Foundation-Men Working To End Men’s Violence Towards Women with artists like THE TEA PARTY, RUSH, DANIEL LANOIS and many more continues to this day.

Todd is currently working on several projects at and is probably playing on a stage somewhere tonite!
Ain't that Rich!

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 am

Hi all... I've been away so long that I've missed a whole CD BOY project ! no excuses, just explanations... change in laptop, change in job(s), change in location... just have been too far away from you all for way too long ! it'd take me a month to go thru everything ~ for now I'll just say it's great to see my old friends still here (Hi Richard !) a friend of mine told me about City Boy CD reissues (remasters ?) I had to stop by...
~Dan
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

L.A.Fan
Mr Shoes

Post by L.A.Fan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:22 am

Great to see you back DJ.
I tried to contact you a couple of times to tell you about the new CD project but all my numbers and e-mail addresses for you seemed to draw a blank.
Please send me a PM with updated contact info as I would love to catch up someday soon.
Ain't that Rich!

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:10 am

I don't have a list matching songs to contributors so I want to ask who included the song by Dare? The song is stunning. Overall the cd is great and there are many good tunes, but the song by Dare is perfectly in the center of the style of music I like best.

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:17 am

Here you go, Al. 8)

Jo

runrigsweden wrote:SONG 12 - DARE - I´LL BE THE WIND.

my first thought about my song choise was of course some song by runrig.but after all they are a folkrock band,and i did not know how that would affect the flow on the final disc.
so i choosed dare instead,because those two bands are by far my fav bands nowadays.

i guess that most of you fellow forumsters allready are familiar with dare,but if i am wrong here is a little information for you .
this song is taken from their latest cd, beneath the shining waters,released 2004.
they have released 5 studio cds and 1 live cd/dvd since their debut out of the silence, back in 89.
apart from the live cd/dvd i really love them all.
you can check out their myspace page here.
http://www.myspace.com/daredarrenwharton

cheers Harry :cheers:
Too damn hard...

runrigsweden
Doctor Doctor

Post by runrigsweden » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:30 am

al wrote:I don't have a list matching songs to contributors so I want to ask who included the song by Dare? The song is stunning. Overall the cd is great and there are many good tunes, but the song by Dare is perfectly in the center of the style of music I like best.

hello Al.i am glad that you like dare. :D :D :D
cheers Harry :cheers:

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Very late info on my track "Show Of Myself" by The Fat Lady Sings.
Note - my selection on CD Boy 1 "New Star" was from TFLS's lead singer Nick Kelly.

http://www.thefatladysings.net/
http://www.nickkelly.ie/

The Fat Lady Sings was formed in Dublin in March 1986. Fronted by singer and songwriter Nick Kelly, the initial line-up also comprised Robert Hamilton (drums), Dave Sweeney (guitars) and Finbarr O’Riordan (bass). Unusually for the time, the band decided to relocate to London almost immediately after forming, and based themselves there throughout their subsequent eight year career. Perhaps more unusual still was the fact that they never recorded a demo – five months after forming their first visit to a recording studio produced “Fear And Favour”. This single was paid for out of the band’s own pocket and released by Terri Hooley on his Good Vibratrions label. “Fear And Favour” brought the band immediate critical attention from the English music press. Over the next 18 months, self-managed and self-financed, the band began building a live following in both the UK and Ireland.

In March 1988 their second independent single, “Be Still” was released on Harbour Sound Records, once again to critical acclaim. By this time, following various shifts in personnel, the band’s classic line-up was firmly established, with Nick and Robert now joined by Dermot Lynch (bass) and guitar player and multi-instrumentalist Tim Bradshaw.

In October 1989, The Fat Lady Sings released their third single “Arclight” on their own Fourth Base Record label. The critical and public interest in this song, and for the band’s follow-up single “Dronning Maud Land” (released January 1990), together with the enormous live following that they’d build up in both Ireland and the UK (they sold out both the National Stadium in Dublin and the Town & Country Club in London, an unprecedented feat for an unsigned band) attracted major label interest.

In 1990 the band signed to East West Records in London (Atlantic in America). Their first major label single “Man Scared” was released in October 1990. In May 1991, the band’s first album, “Twist” was released. This album spawned 3 more singles: a re-release of “Arclight” (April 1991), “Twist” (May 1991) and “Deborah” (August 1991).

Following a year of touring and promotional activity, taking in Ireland, the UK, Europe and the US, the band began preparations for their second album without drummer Robert Hamilton, who’d decided to leave and subsequently set up the “Peace Together” charity with another TFLS old boy Ali McMordie. (The charity went on to record and release a charity single version of the TFLS tune “Be Still” featuring Peter Gabriel, Nanci Griffith, Feragal Sharkey, Jah Wobble and Sinead O’Connor.)

The band’s second album “Johnson”, produced by Steve Osborne (and with Nic France on drums), was released in June 1993, preceded by the single “Show Of Myself”. The second single from the album, “Drunkard Logic” gave the band their highest ever chart placing in the UK, just falling short of the Top 40. The band once more threw themselves into a punishing 6 months of touring, culminating in a 3 month US stint that ended with a storming pre-Christmas show in New York punk mecca CBGBs.

In January 1994, the band split with Nick Kelly’s surprise announcement that he was quitting.

Following a self-imposed exile from the music industry, Nick subsequently achieved great critical acclaim for his first independently-released solo album, “Between Trapezes” (1997), which won him the accolade of “Best Solo Male Artist” at the 1998-99 Irish Music Critics Awards. Nick’s long-awaited follow-up album, “Running Dog”, released in January 2005, also on his own Self Possessed Records label, is already garnering similar plaudits.

Tim and Dermot both enjoyed Top 10 Chart success in America as members of the band Dog’s Eye View in 1995. Tim’s multi-instrumental and production / arrangement talents have been subsequently availed of by artists as diverse as Tanita Tikarem, Fatima Mansions and, most notably, David Gray, with whom he both tours and records on a full-time basis. Dermot’s recent playing career also includes stints with David Gray; in addition, in recent years he has also become established as one of the most sought-after tour and production managers in the UK, working with the likes of Keane, Fun Loving Criminals and Supergrass.

LYRICS

Show of Myself

Sowing marbles into marshmallows
Sewing sequins onto rags
Cutting out my finest moments
Cutting anything that drags
Putting on my coat and tails
Putting on my party hat
Follow anything that moves baby moves
Just you try and follow that

And I learned to trust my body
And I learned to change my mind
Until this man of straw had nothing left to hide

Chorus
I'm making a show of myself

Accidents that never happened
Loves that never could have been
Falling from a rock onto a soft place
Fall somewhere in between
And how could I be a hero
On my knees and four hours sleep?
You put a cat among the vultures
You set a child to catch a thief

And the call of the canvas
Becomes a curtain call
I lost my touch the day I learned to take a fall

Chorus

I dance blind around the house
I wish you were still here
For me to stumble over
For me to be in fear of
To show me

And everything I am
And everything I do
Is trying to paint a miracle
Bold lyrical and new
Just to show you

And I'm tired of playing trick or treat
And I'm tired of love that goes for a song
And I'm tired of letting circus animals loose
But I'm not tired enough to stop

Chorus
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....