New, old picture sleeve???

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Laurelei
Generalissima

New, old picture sleeve???

Post by Laurelei » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:11 pm

Hey All,

I just picked up this pressing from Holland that I had never seen before - not even on Christofer's site. Any one familiar with this???

I bought it for the picture, which is very different then their usual shots. No one has a cigarrette burning, Max has a very different look and he reminds me of...someone...80's New Wave...can't quite pull who I'm thinking of, and Roy sort of looks like that dangerous kind of guy mothers worry about. :wink:

Jo 8)

Too damn hard...

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:58 pm

Yes, I have that single too.

BTW, take a look at the plate on the car Roy is sitting on. It begins with the letters "MRW" as in "Mr W"(!)
... and out!

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:33 am

Although it seems to be a Dutch pressing, I have never seen it here before, not in shops, not on record fairs.
Must be quite a rare 45rpm.
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:14 am

[email protected] wrote:BTW, take a look at the plate on the car Roy is sitting on. It begins with the letters "MRW" as in "Mr W"(!)

Hmmm, it may be some sort of custom plate. That's not an actual American tag, but the car Lol is standing next to is sporting New Jersey license plates. I don't know.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:30 am

Laurelei wrote:Hmmm, it may be some sort of custom plate

The license plate on Roy's car is not custom, but it is a regular, standard UK plate.
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Dave » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:54 pm

Yup, & it's a local Coventry registration to boot !!!!.... signified by the letters "RW" ! Also the "V" indicates it was registered between Aug 79 & Sept 80.

Just thought ya should know............. :)
Stone me, what a life !

psilander
Hap-ki-do kid

Re: New, old picture sleeve???

Post by psilander » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:41 am

Laurelei wrote:Hey All,

I just picked up this pressing from Holland that I had never seen before - not even on Christofer's site. Any one familiar with this???

Just for the record: this record IS on my site, as well as in my collection, and has been for years!
Why should I worry? All's well and it's fair.

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Another copy is on eBay France, if anyone's interested. Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.fr/PUNK-WAVE-SINGLE-45- ... m153.l1262

Jo
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Gosh, I first thought I had missed that one as I actually didn't recognized it up front. I had to go through my singles and this is the last CB single I bought. It's a dutch pressing alright. I also have a few singles without pic sleeves.

You're Leaving Me/Life On The Balcony. It's on Atlantic so I guess it's an american import.
What A Night/Medicine. Vertigo. Made in England.
What A Night/Medicine. Vertigo. Made in France.
5705/Bad For Business. Vertigo. Made in England.
She's Got Style/What A Night. Vertigo. made in England.
The Hap-ki-do Kid/BITS. Vertigo. Made in England.
Shake My Head And Leave/ Teleulah. Vertigo. Made in England.

Has these singles been released with pic sleeves?

These are the singles I got with pic sleeves.

Surgery Hours/Deadly Delicious. Vertigo. Dutch pressing. Here's some of their comments: Who are these idiots?/Steve Broughton. Hairy!/Max Thomas. One Time Barley now/Royston T. (AUK) Ward. Can't make out what Lol wrote. Look's like Van Sorry Fluke. Mike and Chris just wrote their names.
I've Been Spun/Goodbye Blue Monday. Vertigo. Made in England.
Turn On To Jesus/Bad for Business. Vertigo. Dutch pressing. Comments: Best wishes/Mike Slamer. Cheers!/Chris Dunn. Hang on to this one!/Max Thomas. You'd better hang on to yourself!/Steve Broughton. All the best/Lol Mason. The last one is a bit hard to make out. Looks like that's for loving to the slew/Royston 'T' Ward.
5705/Bad For Business. Mercury. Must be an american pressing. Many thanks/Steve again, Broughton. Lubbly!/Lol Mason. Smile when your heart is aching/Royston 'T' Ward. Mike, Max and Chris just autographed this one.
Summer In The Schoolyard/The World Loves A Dancer. Vertigo. I'm unsure of the pressing. Says NCB. Don't remember if that was german, norwegian or swedish. I got to stand in the middle this time/Royston 'T' Ward. OK?/Steve Broughton. No comments from the rest of the boys this time.

Finally I have two blue vinyl singles. Both without pic sleeves and both are What A Night/Medicine. Vertigo. One french, the other bristish pressing. Did they ever release the blues with pic sleeves?
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Hey Robin,

Where do you find all the autographed stuff???

Jo Ann
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi Jo

I got them backstage either in 77 or 78. Here's the album comments.

s/t. Best wishes./Mike Slamer. Lovely, lovely!/Lol Mason. Keep it up!/Chris Dunn. A lovely little town (an arrow points downwards at Birmingham)/Steve Broughton. Great a wondrous'/Max Thomas. Roy also signed it although he didn't play on it but with no comment.

DATR. My plate./Steve Broughton. My place/Chris Dunn. Eat well/Lol Mason. Mike and Max signed but with no special comments. Steve and Chris signed on the plates!

YMGW. Oops a Daisy!/Lol Mason. Look up!/Chris Dunn (written on the knee!). Steve, Max and Mike signed but no comments.

BE. Allo! Allo!/Lol Mason. Who? Who?/Steve Broughton (there's an arrow pointing at Lols comment). Wots this!/Chris Dunn (an arrow pointing at the band logo). Nice try or trip (can't read it) aye? Best wishes/Roy Ward. Mike wrote a personal dedication and Max his name without any comment.

TDTECF. Quack!/Chris Dunn. Hot Stuff!/Steve Broughton. Down the drain!/Lol Mason. His tyres got worse!/Royston T Ward (and an arrow pointing toward Lols comment). So does your bloody drumming/Mike Slamer. Max Thomas (no comment).
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

CatInAFlat
Momma's Boy

Re:

Post by CatInAFlat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:58 pm
Yes, I have that single too.

BTW, take a look at the plate on the car Roy is sitting on. It begins with the letters "MRW" as in "Mr W"(!)
It was registered in Coventry in 1979.