How many songs on CD BOY 1 had you heard before?

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Zero
31%
25%
13%
6%
13%
6%
No votes
No votes
6%
9 or more
No votes

Total votes: 16

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:07 am

The CD BOY compilation is great. I love it. And it is a collection of not soo well known songs. So I am wondering how many of the songs had you heard before (excluding your own)?

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 am

Though I know of some of the artists on the album I had not heard the songs in question except for Ayreons The First Man on Earth. So It's a 1 for me.

Well done everyone in giving my wallet another excuse to bleed :wink:

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:47 am

All songs are entirely new stuff to me.

Even most of the bands or artists are new to me. I only heard before of Nik Kershaw, Cornerstone and My Chemical Romance, and - thanks to Al - the Youngstown bands Urbane and Glass Harp.
... and out!

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:48 am

Besides my own contribution (Ayreon) I had only heard the Kevin Gilbert and Vanden Plas tracks before, which makes the whole experience so much more exciting. . I have heard other Mostly Autumn tracks but not his one. I will come back with more reviews after somemore listens

Leo camoose
Heavyweight

Post by Leo camoose » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:07 am

[email protected] wrote:All songs are entirely new stuff to me.

Even most of the bands or artists are new to me. I only heard before of Nik Kershaw, My Chemical Romance, and - thanks to Al - the Youngstown bands Urbane and Glass Harp.

Ditto! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I also know AYREON, but I don't recall hearing this particular song from them before :roll:

Can be because My memory illudes Me from time to time due to being as old as I am :wink:

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:15 am

Songs: none! But I have heard other things from some of the artists like Kershaw, MCR and Ayreon.

Nice selections people!

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:56 am

Had heard Billy, Jungle, Point of Know Return and my own song ( :D ) New Star!

Andy H
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

CD BOY 1 had you heard before?

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:19 pm

The only track I've heard before is Point Of Know Return but then I mean the original Kansas version. I also knew/heard of artists like Kershaw, My Chemical Romance, King Henry and possibly Ayreon but I haven't heard the tracks on the cd before. Fun with so much songs you've never heard before.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:17 am

5 songs but not all were songs I learned on my own. I had help from others around here.

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:18 pm

I supplied track nr. 12 so I thought I should submit vote nr. 12... :roll: :lol: 1 song.
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:54 pm

Just had the urge to listen to "one after two".... :wink:

hjalb
Car-Eating Man

Post by hjalb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:20 am

Hi there.
Most of the songs and artists I had never heard before on this cd in which I'm falling more and more in love. Can't pick a number i dislike, so it's just so great. And, YES, I am braging about it whereever I go. It's been a pleasure taking part, and I am allready now looking foreward to vol.2.
Greetings
Hjalb
8) :lol: :P

Raise your glass and drink for me !!

Stefan
Narcissus

Post by Stefan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:22 pm

I knew the Nik Kershaw and Ayreon tracks.
Listened to the CD about 5 times now, and I can now name my absolute favourite (at the moment-?! dont know if that'll change again), that's the Romeo track. It comes off the start like huh-what's that odd, and then explodes like unbelievable.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:06 am

...I came out one too high on the voting above, as I forgot to exclude my own contribution! :roll:

Anyway, the following tracks were known to me prior to the arrival of the compilation:

Kevin Gilbert "Goodness Gracious"
Nik Kershaw "Billy"
Valentine "Fear of Heights"
Ayreon "The First Man on Earth"
King Harry "Dear Mathew"
Mostly Autumn "Goodbye Alone"
Vagabond "Healing"

I should note that the King Harry album only beat the compilation by a mere week or three (thank you very much, Per!), whereas it took me a couple of listens to realize that I already had an album and CD single featuring "The First Man on Earth" and "Goodbye Alone" respectively. Do I need to listen more to the stuff that resides in my CD racks? Ooooh, yes!

As for "Point of Know Return", it remains a Kansas favourite of mine, but I had no idea that Vanden Plas had recorded a version of their own. It didn't really help that I thought I was listening to Dream Theater, either, though that just goes to show how ignorant I can be when it comes to modern, progressive hard rock and metal.

My Chemical Romance, on the other hand, is a band name on the lips of at least 3-5 teenagers in every class at school, but I can't recall hearing "Cancer" specifically.

Cornerstone and Squadron partially belong in the same category: I've heard other material by the bands in question, but not the particular songs represented on "CD Boy 1."

Geir :D
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 am

Andy H wrote:Had heard Billy, Jungle, Point of Know Return and my own song ( :D ) New Star!

Andy H

Oops !!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I took a "deep dive" (to use a horrible consultancy phrase recently heard) into some CD's recently sent by Geir. I have actually heard Valentine's "Fear Of Heights", bringing my total of previously heard tracks to 5.

This led me to give the Valentine CD a much closer listen, and it is really good. Thanks Geir, and apologies for not picking up on this first time round!!! I still owe you a mail!

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....