CD BOY 1. - music discussion found here

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Re: THANKS!

Post by [email protected] » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:42 am

rito wrote:My CD has arrived today! I want to thank all involved for including me in your little community - and for including me in the really great packaging :cheers:

Hi Thomas, check out the catalogue number and barcode for the CD! :wink: :lol:
... and out!

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:24 am

MartinS wrote:
Marcus Bengtson wrote:any news on Doris Brendel, Martin?

No not really. I haven't been able to find anything except this:

Hello. Thanks for stopping by our little page. Hope you're enjoying the sounds. We're a 5 piece from Sarf Bucks. 4 of us have been together since the early bronze age. Started life as a covers band with the lovely Doris Brendel on top form.

Don't know if it's the same Doris Brendel (but how many can there be?). It's from the mySpace page of a band called Buzz:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=111416647

Great news to me Martin. It's gotta be the same Doris, right?

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:38 am

Marcus Bengtson wrote:Great news to me Martin. It's gotta be the same Doris, right?

Gotta be the same Doris. She was in the band when they did covers but she is no longer in the band. Wonder what she is doing now.

rito
El Presidente

Post by rito » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:05 pm

[email protected] wrote:
rito wrote:My CD has arrived today! I want to thank all involved for including me in your little community - and for including me in the really great packaging :cheers:

Hi Thomas, check out the catalogue number and barcode for the CD! :wink: :lol:

:lol: - yes, that's what I meant with "including me" - what a nice idea, this barcode!!!

rito
El Presidente

Post by rito » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:06 pm

MartinS wrote:Do you recognize the songs on the album or are most of them new to you?

almost everything is new to me, but I still haven't heard it, yet - no time, and no cd player around |:

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:29 pm

rito wrote: :lol: - yes, that's what I meant with "including me" - what a nice idea, this barcode!!!

You deserve all these dedications, El Presidente! :D

BTW, if someone wonders about the label code of double "18". That stands for RR - Ritocom Records :arrow: R beeing the 18th letter in the alphabet.

That's all from the number jerk for now! :lol:
... and out!

rito
El Presidente

Post by rito » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:19 am

WOW - the guitar solo on Mostly Autumn's track "Goodbye Alone" is great!! Never heard from these guys/girls, but they are definitely worth listening to!

I have to admit, that I was a bit afraid of the CD. I was prepared for a prog- and melodic rock fest, but you guys have found some exceptionally great music. I haven't heard it all yet, but I like most of what I hear - and I'm a very hard to please guy :twisted:

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:12 am

rito wrote:WOW - the guitar solo on Mostly Autumn's track "Goodbye Alone" is great!!

Bryan Josh - he looks like a Russian bear, but he sure knows how to treat a guitar. And he's a great beer drinker too :wink: .
MA's albums have plenty of great, classic guitar solo's that you don't hear anymore in the modern rock that gets airplay on the radio stations.
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:31 am

Well, I have listened to the first six songs and here is what I think so far:

Tracks 1,2,3, & 4 all get a thumbs up. Goodness Gracious has some really great lyrics.

Track 5 is so-so.

Track 6 gets a thumbs down, don't care for that one too much.

I'll return a little later with comments on tracks 7 thru 12. But so far overall, nice job, lads! :D
Munched his way to a million hearts as he ate the tires and the spare parts.

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:17 pm

Listened to tracks 7 thru 12, the one I like best is track 11. As for comments on the individual songs:

Track 7- I prefer the Kansas version.

Track 8- This one is alright, not exactly my type of song but good musicians though.

Track 9- Not bad, this is the first song on the CD that is similar to the style of City Boy. The lead vocal in this would be perfect for Steve Broughton. Right up his alley.

Track 10- Not really anything good to say about this one, morbid song from a morbid group. One good thing is it's a short song, so the torture doesn't last too long. :wink:

Track 11- This one I'll give a thumbs up, another song true to the sound of City Boy with ELO style backing vocals to boot. If this were City Boy, Lol Mason would be the perfect one to sing the lead vocal.

Track 12- Nice guitar solo to finish it off, not my type of song though.

Six tracks left to go, I'll give those a listen and return with comments. Thru the first 12 tracks, an interesting and varied selection of songs.

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:27 pm

man who ate his car wrote:Well, I have listened to the first six songs and here is what I think so far:

Tracks 1,2,3, & 4 all get a thumbs up. Goodness Gracious has some really great lyrics.

Track 5 is so-so.

Track 6 gets a thumbs down, don't care for that one too much.

I'll return a little later with comments on tracks 7 thru 12. But so far overall, nice job, lads! :D

Interesting comments, Lee. Songs 5 and 6 would be two of my favourites. It's interesting that even within our group that different songs can appeal to different people.

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:35 pm

Valentine - Fear Of Heights

I had to check the cd sleeve when I first heard it. I thought it was a cover version of Led Z's "Kashmir" coming up... :mrgreen:

When I got over that stage I realised that it was a good song. :D

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:38 am

Per,

The other song it reminds me of is PhD's "I Won't Let You Down" from the 80's. Some of the vocal melody is a direct lift...

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

man who ate his car
Doctor Doctor

Post by man who ate his car » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:17 am

Have listened to the final six tracks, the one song that sort of jumped out and grabbed my attention was track 16, pretty decent song. The other five are so-so, they are good musicians and all but the songs didn't really grab me.

So to summarize the whole thing- the tracks I enjoy the most are 1, 2, 3, 4, 11, & 16.

Tracks 6, 7, 10, & 12 are not within my liking.

The other eight tracks are all so-so, they are all good musicians but in my humble opinion the songs are unremarkable. Having said this, these songs do have potential to grow on me a bit with repeated listenings. Sometimes it takes a few listens to get used to song and become familiar with it, perhaps that is the problem I'm having with some of these. Overall, this CD is an interesting listening experience with a half dozen very good tracks and a majority of the remaining ones pretty fair as well. To each person who contributed a song to the CD, I think a little bit of your personality likely comes through with the song you selected. The majority of praise for this project should be placed on the time and effort of everyone involved, if it's decided to do a second CD I'll be happy to donate a musical contribution to it! :D

L.A.Fan
Mr Shoes

Post by L.A.Fan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:25 am

My appologies to anyone who who dislikes track 10. Yes I agree it is a little morbid and for that I'm sorry. This project evolved just after my brother passed away from cancer and it is a very personal tribute to him which I decided to share with you all.

To me the lyrics sum up perfectly how it is to to live and finally die with this terrible illness. It's also something I'm dealing with myself so it truly is becoming the story of my life also.

If I'm around for the second disk I promise I will add a track that's not so personal. Let's just do it a little faster as I might never hear the final product.
Ain't that Rich!