CD BOY 1. - music discussion found here

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:24 am

The band I included on the disc, Urbane, is from Youngstown and the cd they made was never released for sale, it is purely a demo. They never got signed with a record label and 2 of the guys had to give up on the band because they are married and have families to support.

The singer is the youngest of the members and he is still trying to make in the music business, but with a new band.

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:35 am

Just got it today and... MAN!!! The packaging of this disc is so awesome! I bow in your general direction, Al. ;-) My fave is (by far, actually) The Violet Hour - Falling. But I enjoy each and every song immensely. And to answer Al's Q to me... This disc kicks the A.C.T one's butt! ;-)

Stefan
Narcissus

Post by Stefan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:07 am

this must be the best compilation album in history

Amen to that, Piet!
I'm sure that it will spend many many days an dweeks in my car player as there is obviousiy so much to discover. I really look forward to get a complete picture of everyones notes why a specific song is chosen, this must be an integrated part in the discussion

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:44 am

Marcus Bengtson wrote:Just got it today and... MAN!!! The packaging of this disc is so awesome! I bow in your general direction, Al. ;-) My fave is (by far, actually) The Violet Hour - Falling. But I enjoy each and every song immensely. And to answer Al's Q to me... This disc kicks the A.C.T one's butt! ;-)

Glad you got the disc in good order Marcus :wink:
You have to give credit to Mikael for the covers and label design. He took care of all of that. I was only a distributor!

This is better than the A.C.T disc, I agree, but there were some nice surprises on that one too.

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:52 pm

and a deserved Hooorah! to you Mikael!

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:12 pm

I got mine in the mail on Tuesday and it has been on constant rotation since.

AL Congratulations on seeing your brilliant idea to fruition. You have lifted all our lives, first with the anticipation and now the release of this CD. Like the others, I am also proud to have been part of this, and it is a bond we all share.

Geir and Mikael Thank you for your selfless hard work in helping realise Al's vision.

As others have mentioned, I too am amazed at how well this all hangs together. OK - we all converge at one point in musical taste, but there is a diversity in styles here.

In terms of the songs themselves, I would agree there is not one I don't like here. (That double negative would send my Japanese colleagues bananas!)

Being near the end of the cycle, I had a sneak preview of what most of this CD would sound like. Now that I have the whole disc in context, even songs I didn't rate at the beginning are growing on me (Dear Mathew falls into this category - at first I thought "WTF???" but now its quirkiness is winning me over).

One thing that strikes me is that for many of the songs, I intuitively know the contributors from what I know about them from the board.
Backdoor Romeo is musically SOOOO Matt!!! Only Matt can let us know about the lyrical content!!!

Jungle is definately Leo - (thanks for getting me into Cornerstone, Leo)
Amongst others, I could pick out Geir's and hjalb's choices also.

Highlights (currently!) for me are:

Live,
Goodness Gracious
Fear of Heights
Backdoor Romeo
Falling
Imminent Thunder
Healing.

Al - thanks for the shout out for New Star!
Debbie - also like Glass Harp, they remind me of a Dublin band called LiR. I'm not sure if I sent some of their stuff to Al.

More comments later...

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:36 am

Andy H wrote:Backdoor Romeo is musically SOOOO Matt!!!

Yes, could have been an In A Cage song, definitely! :)
... and out!

Debbie R
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Debbie R » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:46 am

i'm really enjoying the finished product also, i have listened to the cd quite a few times already and the songs that tend to stick out for me are:
mostly autumn
my chemical romance
urbane
hope the board will do this again.
debbie

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:49 am

Listened some more today. I was singing loudly to Imminent Thunder in the car back home from Ikea. And when Fly on Squadron came on it was a bit dangerous as I started to airdrum. Love the drums on that track.

The song that has really hit home is Goodness Gracious. It has such a fantastic bassline and melody. And the last few lines are soo good:

Goodness Gracious my Grandma used to say
The worlds a scary place now
Things were different in her day
What horrors will be common place when my hair starts to gray

It's a fantastic CD filled with good music. And it's another reminder that there is soo much good music out there waiting to be discovered.
The sorry thing is that most good music will never be discovered by more than a few.
Take for instance the track by Urbane. It's great but only a demo. They never got the chance to bring their music to the world. And a lot of the other songs on the album are by bands who struggled or are struggling just to get their music on record.
There's all this great music avaiable and what gets played on radio today?

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:14 am

Valentine, can anyone give me some information about them? Tried to search the net but no luck so far.

I wonder if this is the same Valentine I heard a long time ago. I think that was a dutch artist called Robbie Valentine who was clearly influence by Queen. I don't remeber the song but I remember that it was good.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 am

...bingo, Martin! The very same Dutchman, indeed - and still wearing his Queen influence on his sleeve, although there is a whole lot more to his music these days than merely that. I mean, in the case of "Fear of Heights" a whole other and positively huge '70s band immediately comes to mind, right? :wink:

Have a look at www.robbyvalentine.com and you'll find biography, discography, soundbytes, liner notes and whatnot. As for recommended listening, his fairly recent (2006) release "The Most Beautiful Pain" strikes me as a good cross section of where Robby is at musically these days. His latest release, "Falling Down in Misanthropolis" (2007), is darker, but perhaps more adventurous musically, all depending on what you like.

"Fear of Heights", on the other hand, is taken from "Believing Is Seeing" (2000), which wavers between absolutely brilliant and occasionally musical schizophrenia - though I should add that fellow forumsters may differ in opinions on this. (Hello Bertrand!) Sadly, only "The Most Beautiful Pain" is generally available in Europe - the other two abovementioned releases remain Japanese only imports!

Hope that helps!

Geir :D
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:23 am

any news on Doris Brendel, Martin?

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 am

Marcus Bengtson wrote:any news on Doris Brendel, Martin?

No not really. I haven't been able to find anything except this:

Hello. Thanks for stopping by our little page. Hope you're enjoying the sounds. We're a 5 piece from Sarf Bucks. 4 of us have been together since the early bronze age. Started life as a covers band with the lovely Doris Brendel on top form.

Don't know if it's the same Doris Brendel (but how many can there be?). It's from the mySpace page of a band called Buzz:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=111416647

rito
El Presidente

THANKS!

Post by rito » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:13 am

My CD has arrived today! I want to thank all involved for including me in your little community - and for including me in the really great packaging :cheers:

Haven't heard a single sound yet, just wanted to thank you all!!

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Re: THANKS!

Post by MartinS » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:28 am

rito wrote:My CD has arrived today! I want to thank all involved for including me in your little community - and for including me in the really great packaging :cheers:

Haven't heard a single sound yet, just wanted to thank you all!!

Hope you will enjoy the music as much as we do....

Do you recognize the songs on the album or are most of them new to you?