CD BOY 1. - music discussion found here

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:39 pm

I absolutely love this disc 8) Great song selections everyone...one good song after another and the flow is perfect :!:

Nice job friends :wink:

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Yeah, it's a great disc. Breathing quality in all aspects, song selection, album art, mastering.....

I gotta give this a full listen tomorrow. I love it so far... great work guys and girls...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:28 pm

I got the disc today but has only heard it once yet. I want to listen to it at least 4-5 times more and let it all sink in before I comment on it.
However, I have question for Mikael. What happened to the Ted Gärdestad-track, since it was on the "demo" when I got it? And how do I get the liner notes?
Last edited by Robin_Shadowes on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Re: CD BOY 1. - music discussion found here

Post by [email protected] » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:29 am

Robin_Shadowes wrote:However, I have question for Mikael. What happened to the Ted Gärdestad-track, since it was on the "demo" when I got it? And how do I get the liner notes?

Sorry, but I realized my original choice was a bit odd to this compilation after all. Furthermore, it was also the only song not in English (besides your instrumental song :lol:) I hope you like my new choice though.

BTW, I like your idea of a theme for the next CD BOY, like having a track from your own country as you suggested. Then, Ted Gärdestad would be my obvious choice! :D

As for the liner notes, we have to wait until they are complete with Dan's, which we are still missing.
... and out!

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 am

I got it as well! Can't wait to listen to it, but since I am travelling today it will have to wait until tomorrow.

What is the procedure for the next CD? Has it staerted yet? I am not sure if I have announced my participation yet

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:35 am

As we do not have the liner notes yet I thought it would be interesting if we all wrote some notes about our choice:

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My choice, track 13, is from the only album that The Violet Hour recorded, they disbanded shortly after the tour supporting the album The Fire Sermon. The tour was together with Marillion on the Holidays in Eden tour. I saw them in Stockholm and was blown away by the supporting act "The Violet Hour".

I bought the album and the singles (that contain some extra tracks, all good) and it remains one of my favorite albums to this day.

The album was produced by Pete Brown and had Sam Brown on backing vocals on three tracks, including the choosen track, Falling.

Read more about it here:
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=10108

END SPOILER

1after2
Car-Eating Man

Post by 1after2 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:10 am

Have played it twice now, and there is not one track on this cd that I don't like. Really, this must be the best compilation album in history.
Will be able to address the real favorites after a few more spins.
One of them I already know : what a great opening track; a powerful song with a beautiful melody that perfectly suits its job (= opening track :wink: ). Well done again, Al !

The artwork is simple and pretty, with some great idea's, in one word : classy ! In a second word : chic !
(haven't figured out yet what the meaning of the barcode is this time :roll:)

The liner notes on the inside of the tray very well reflect the atmosphere on this forum, it makes one proud to be a (small) part of it.

A precious addition to my cd collection ! 8)
Thanks to all who made this possible.
The bigger the miracle, the smaller the audience

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:54 am

1after2 wrote:(haven't figured out yet what the meaning of the barcode is this time :roll:)

Let's see if not Thomas will find most of the numbers in the barcode very familiar :wink: ...
... and out!

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:02 pm

Yes, Mikael it makes sense, thanks. The look of it is perfect. Looks quite professional, like it could have been found in the store. Now when it is finished, I can only conclude that it was well worth the waiting. However I hope we can speed up the next one. :oops:
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Leo camoose
Heavyweight

Post by Leo camoose » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:10 pm

It's a fantastic piece of Art!
Music has a nice flow, cover looks great........Well done to all involved!

Special Thanks to Al who started and finished it! :P

There are many artists on it I like to check out more 8) :D

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:23 pm

I am very impressed with the music. All of it! As some have said already, the flow from song to song is ideal and the disc taken in its entirety is amazing. We couldn't have planned it any better and it was essentially an accident!

There is a certain theatrical flare to the songs as if telling a story. The first 1/3 of the disc is powerful and somewhat politcal. Then comes the emotional side and good story telling. I think Richard's song, Cancer, is well placed and everything before and afier it plays into the song well.

The opening and closing songs are well placed, too. After all the very deep stuff in that later part of the disc, Marcus' song comes in brilliantly and closes out the disc with a positive feel.

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:23 am

Except for the cracked case and the fact that my cd-changer refuses to play it (which is not uncommon and not a big deal since I have other options), this is a lovely product that I wouldn't hesitate buying if I found it in a store! :D

On the other hand, if I had looked at the songs listed on the backside I would have shook my head and put it back on its shelf. :shock: "I don't know these artists!"

Thanks everybody for making me aware of these songs/artists! :lol:

My favourite right now is "Falling".

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:49 am

I feel ready to give my first points of view on this fantastic creation. I have listened to it a couple of times, some tracks more than that, and I must say that I don't think there is any bad track, they are all pieces of very good music.

I may change my opinion again after some more listens, but right now there are some of the songs that stand out for me (I leave out my own song, Ayreon + Kevin Gilbert wich I have listened to many times):

Fear of heights - Valentine:
My kind of song.

Cancer - My Chemical Romance:
Surprise of the day!!! I thought this band was techno so I never even bothered to listen to them. I was apparently wrong. Incredible song.

Dear Mathew - King Henry:
My god, it may as well be a CB track! Fantastic catchy pop tune that got to me right away. Can't stop playing it. Love to know more about this band.

Night Fire Dance - Andreas Vollenweider (???):
Never ever heard of this guy but I love the song.

This said, again, there was not one song I did not like.

MartinS
Car-Eating Man

Post by MartinS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:58 pm

I don't have it here with me, I forgot it at work today :cry:

There are so many good songs on this album. Some current favorites are:

Kevin Gilbert
Cornerstone
Valentine
Mostly Autumn

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Some songs stuck in my head today - this has been changing day to day though;

Goodness Gracious
Dear Mathew (and that was taken from the lp? Nice job)
New Star
Imminent Thunder
Fly On Squadron (what a pleasant surprise this one is - it could be City Boy)

I know Cornerstone well thanks to Leo. Always a consistent and very good band.