Rate The Band - Queen

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Rate The Band - Queen

Poll ended at Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:33 pm

1 Lowest
No votes
No votes
No votes
4%
4%
No votes
15%
31%
31%
10 highest
15%

Total votes: 26

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 am

Baaahahahaha...

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 am

OOPS..................! :oops: Sold my copy of NATO years ago. Just checked the track listing on Amazon, The Prophet Song is the one i meant.
Stone me what a life.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:21 am

...My favourite albums by Queen are "Queen II", "A Night at the Opera", "Jazz" and "The Game". I also wonder if "Queen" and "A Day at the Races" shouldn't be on the list, too...

Furthermore, I'd argue that you'll find at least 2-3 excellent songs on any Queen album, though I must admit that despite owning most of them on CD, there are a few that I've only played a couple of times all in all!

I wound up submitting a vote for a 7, though at their most ingenious Queen are no doubt a 10, in my opinion! ("Bohemian Rhapsody" springs to mind, as does much of an absolutely brilliant radio broadcast from a US gig on a tour supporting Mott The Hoople circa "Queen II".)

Geir :D
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Debbie R
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Debbie R » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:29 pm

unfortunatly al went to see queen when we were dating BUT HE DIDN'T TAKE Me !!!! :cry: :x :evil: I did get him a Queen dvd for christmas a couple years ago and it is verrrry good. i would have enjoyed seeing them live.

L.A.Fan
Mr Shoes

Post by L.A.Fan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:59 pm

A big "9" for me too!
It was impossible to grow up in the U.K. and not be impressed by this band. I saw them a total of 4 times before leaving for the grand old U.S.A.
Ain't that Rich!

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 am

Hey Geir........don't suppose you've got a copy, or access to one, of the Queen radio broadcast ???
Stone me what a life.

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:14 am

Hey all ... again!

Dave, I don't have the Queen radio broadcast here presently, but with a bit of luck, I might get it brought to me in the not too distant future ... so I'll get back to you on that one, okay?

All this talk of Queen's glory days has made me anxious to hear the broadcast again, too!

As for seeing Queen back in the day, they'd pretty much stopped touring by the time I had any of chance of travelling to a gig, and on the whole, I didn't really properly listen to their music until sometime in the mid-1990s.

I recall being aware of "Radio Ga-Ga", since that got big time airplay on Norwegian radio (as was the case with the rest of Europe, I believe), but not much before that registered at all, I guess. Furthermore, I distinctively remember "A Kind of Magic" residing in the cassette mounters of my uncle's gas station and I might have borrowed that home to play it, I'm not entirely sure. It wouldn't have been much worse for the wear afterwards, as hardly anything on the album resembles the title track musically and that would have been what I'd be hoping to find at the time, I suppose.

Oh, and there was that animated video to go with the title track, too - pretty neat for its time, if memory serves!

Geir :D

PS: Debbie, after such an act of forgetfulness on Al's part when you were dating, I guess it was proof that you were meant for each other, after all: If you could tolerate missing Queen in their prime, I suppose your relationship could endure just about anything! :wink:
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:51 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i37DZugBfX0& ... ed&search=
( and many more-enjoy it while you can !)

Classic performance -it also shows the difficulty for the band to "translate" on stage the complexity of their music.
--------------------------
I've seen that movie too

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:09 pm

I give them an '8', a strong one... Such a diverse band, not worrying much about conforming to the normal styles of the day. There weren't many bands that threw in a operatic vocal the way Freddie did.
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:07 am

I gave them an 8 too. Over the years they have done amazing stuff, but on the other hand they made some rubbish in the 80s as well...

I saw them in Stockholm '86 and it was raining all day. The ticket states: "The concert will be executed regardless of weather"... :roll: Queen did good when they finally went on stage.

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:11 am

Looks like PF won't hold that second spot for too long...

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:35 am

HeyGeir, would really appreciate a copy of that whenever you get it.......!
For all those into the really early stuff, (73-75), i've got some excellent audio & vision stuff if anyone wants copies. Will be more exact if anyone does.
Stone me what a life.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:21 am

I gave them an 8. What can I say that hasn't already been said about this great band. Too bad Mercury died young.
... and out!

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Just to prove I'm not an infant, I can say I saw Queen in 1986, on the "magical tour"... IT WAS GREAT!!!

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:56 am

You ARE an infant, man!! I saw them in 1976, when they were still at their best :D