Listening to right now...

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Daisy
Momma's Boy

Re: Listening to right now...

Post by Daisy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Currently listening to Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. An absolute belter of an album!

propylaen
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by propylaen » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 am

Daisy wrote:Currently listening to Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. An absolute belter of an album!
Speaking of ELP, newly remastered versions of their first 2 albums are going to be released shortly. While there have been many versions before, this time promises to be special in that it will be box sets housing 2 CDs and 1 audio DVD each, and the mixing will be done by "Mr. Surround Sound" Steven Wilson!

Some more info here:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progr ... t/99/3919/
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progr ... t/99/3920/

Joerg
...seen CITY BOY in Hamburg (Germany) on March 16, 1978 in support of Manfred Mann's Earth Band

propylaen
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by propylaen » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:30 am

Until then CAN - THE LOST TAPES (3 discs full of amazing material from the band's archives) keep spinning in my players. These are not only leftovers but excellent stuff for the most part!

Joerg
...seen CITY BOY in Hamburg (Germany) on March 16, 1978 in support of Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Daisy
Momma's Boy

Post by Daisy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 am

propylaen wrote:
Daisy wrote:Currently listening to Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. An absolute belter of an album!
Speaking of ELP, newly remastered versions of their first 2 albums are going to be released shortly. While there have been many versions before, this time promises to be special in that it will be box sets housing 2 CDs and 1 audio DVD each, and the mixing will be done by "Mr. Surround Sound" Steven Wilson!

Some more info here:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progr ... t/99/3919/
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progr ... t/99/3920/

Joerg
Now THAT sounds like something i will have to invest in! Haha, thanks for the links!

Psy
Momma's Boy

Post by Psy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:01 am

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to the forum, but a City Boy fan from way back. Thought you might like to know that my current spate of renewed interest in City Boy has been due to hearing the new CD "Internal Affairs" by The Night Flight Orchestra. It's like City Boy playing early Styx. Fantastic CD. I'm sure City Boy fans would find much to enjoy in it.... and no, I'm not in/with the band. :D
Cheers,
Psy

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Another newbie! Welcome to the board, and it's always good to have new blood here.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 am

I suppose that makes us "oldies," Jo?

Speaking of oldies, that is all I listen to these days. I've been listening to A New World Record for a couple of weeks 8)

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 am

Great album, Al! You put me in the mood for it, so I just popped it on. Gotta say, I had forgotten how good it was. Can't remember the last time I heard Lifeline. AND, absolutely going to put on Eldorado next. Another one, a masterpiece reallly, I haven't heard straight through in years.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:19 am

"Oldies", yes, I suppose strictly speaking we are. I think maybe a different adjective - read less old sounding - would work better. How about "experienced", as in "are you..."? Not "mature", that sounds to AARP. No way "senior". I searched for synonyms and came up with some. How about "major", "superior", "leading", "accomplished", "seasoned", "pro" or my favorites, "advanced" or "veteran"? Those both seem to sum it up pretty well.

Jo :wink:

PS Al, been to Panera lately? We need some good ideas for the board.
Too damn hard...

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:26 am

Laurelei wrote:"Oldies", yes, I suppose strictly speaking we are. I think maybe a different adjective - read less old sounding - would work better. How about "experienced", as in "are you..."? Not "mature", that sounds to AARP. No way "senior". I searched for synonyms and came up with some. How about "major", "superior", "leading", "accomplished", "seasoned", "pro" or my favorites, "advanced" or "veteran"? Those both seem to sum it up pretty well.

Jo :wink:

PS Al, been to Panera lately? We need some good ideas for the board.
I get solicitations from AARP all the time, so maybe just refer to me as grandpa :uhhuh:

Veteran sounds as though we have been to war. Perhaps in a sense we have been through some battles, right Jo? :para

Panera? Yes! Just about an hour ago, in fact :cheers: I had coffee, a blueberry bagel and a chocolate chip cookie. Not a healthy diet, but quite enjoyable.

Ideas? I have a few but have been hesitant to bring them forward. Things seem to be rather slow here lately.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer found the set from a tv talk show (can't recall the name at this "senior" moment) and set it up in his apartment. One day he and Newman were sitting at the set and had nothing to say, when Kramer stated he needed a new format. The new format became "scandals and animals."

We need a new format here :arrow:

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Oh, bring them forward Al. Who knows, might just spark some interest. And you know at least I'll be interested.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:46 pm

How about "charter members"? I've been here since 1999.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Laurelei wrote:How about "charter members"? I've been here since 1999.

Jo 8)
Do you mean this forum? Is it really that old? If so I feel like a newbie since I didn't came aboard since 2006 if my memory serves m right.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Yes, it is that old. Older, really. I think it had been up a year or two when I discovered it.

I lurked for years, but if you search back through the old boards, my first posts were in 1999, or maybe even 1998. It was right about the time that Max's Beginning To End came out, and I ordered one with the help of El Presidente. Max sent me two copies, signed, and included a hand written letter that I still have. It was also back then that I found out about It's Personal and someone here sent me a burned copy of it. Was that Dave, maybe? I really don't remember now, but I was so happy to get it, I can tell you.

I think the posts were about those cds, and also about the night I got backstage at a CB concert.

After that I didn't post again for years, but I did check in all the time. Not sure why I waited so long.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Daisy
Momma's Boy

Post by Daisy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Laurelei wrote:
It was right about the time that Max's Beginning To End came out, and I ordered one with the help of El Presidente. Max sent me two copies, signed, and included a hand written letter that I still have. It was also back then that I found out about It's Personal and someone here sent me a burned copy of it.

Signed copy sent from max? I am one jealous lady, i tell ya!! How lucky are you!

I cant believe how long people have been posting here! I mean, in a way i can because its an awesome place to meet people who have similar interests, but in another thats crazy. I only joined a few weeks ago, im just a baby!