Listening to right now...

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

lilygron
Momma's Boy

Post by lilygron » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 pm

bertrand wrote:Hi Lil and hi too Geir
Lil I recommend you Robbie Valentine stuff
A new song had been added on his site and is freely available for downloading ,so you can make your own opinion
Geir,have you heard it?not a bad song,but not his best one!wink:
Cheers
bertrand

Hi bertrand, Thanks for your recommendation about Robbie Valentine...I really appreciate it very much!!! I will definitely check it out :D :wink:

lilygron
Momma's Boy

Post by lilygron » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:03 pm

Marcus Bengtson wrote:Is that you "oh thou green one"? If so... Great to see you here as well.

Hey Marcus!!!! Yeah!!! It is moi "the green one" hehe :P .....It is great seeing you here too!!! I am so happy Al invited me here... Great music, great friends.....I am super happy, indeed!!! :D :D :D

lilygron
Momma's Boy

Post by lilygron » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Andy H wrote:
Marcus Bengtson wrote:Ahhhh! Arrival. GEts me to tune into ABBA - The Visitors

I always thought that song ROCKED :shock:

Andy.

I agree!!! 8) :wink:

Lily

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 pm

lilygron wrote:
Marcus Bengtson wrote:Is that you "oh thou green one"? If so... Great to see you here as well.

Hey Marcus!!!! Yeah!!! It is moi "the green one" hehe :P .....It is great seeing you here too!!! I am so happy Al invited me here... Great music, great friends.....I am super happy, indeed!!! :D :D :D

I'm thrilled you us here Lily :) And I know everyone else here is too. I've always been amazed at how nice everyone here is and I really have made some good friends.

al
Heavyweight

Post by al » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:51 pm

...and it is really cool that Marcus has joined too 8)

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:52 am

al wrote:...and it is really cool that Marcus has joined too 8)

Thanks Al. I think it's so great that these boards (the A.C.T one and this one) have such a friendly climate. Makes you feel really welcome. Thanks everyone. :D

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 am

oh, I almost forgot... right now I'm listening to Kate Bush - Arial

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

...with it being the 8th of March, it just struck me that listening to Skagarack's "Damned Woman" is probably about as politically incorrect as it gets! ...And it's a brilliant song, too, incidentally!

If the name Skagarack doesn't ring a bell, I'm at least sure some of the Danes here will be familiar with them. Oh, and definitely Stefan P., plus most likely Piet, and possibly Bertrand and Andy, too? ...The band's first two albums from the late '80s are both classic melodic rock that I still hugely enjoy!

As for the recently discussed ABBA, my favourite albums by the band are "Arrival" and "The Visitors", although there are at least 3-4 brilliant tracks on pretty much every ABBA album (save, perhaps, for the very first one). ...And Lily, four of the six songs you mentioned in your post are in fact from "Arrival", by the way! :D

Steelhouse Lane, you'll find, is somewhat more consistent hard rock than City Boy were, with the pros and cons that brings. I rate both Steelhouse Lane albums highly, I should add: As far as potent melodic hard rock goes, not a lot else measured up to the standard Mike Slamer set with these in the late 1990s and they've stood the test of time rather well so far!

Bertrand, I haven't checked out any soundbytes on Robby Valentine's site for quite a while now, but I certainly will. ...I see the full MP3 isn't a new song, though - "just" an unreleased V3 song! :wink: ...I'll be back with a reaction once I've heard it, obviously!

Right - time for bed, I suppose!

Geir :D
...Anyone for tennis? (Or was it Dennis?)

Leo camoose
Heavyweight

Post by Leo camoose » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Of course I know about Skagarack, Geir :wink: :D

I had a couple of their albums on vinyl..........could be fun to have a listen again :wink: 8) :D

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:46 am

...pull out Skagarack's self-titled debut and "Hungry For a Game" if you can find them, Leo - excellent stuff, in my humble opinion, although probably a little too unashamedly eighties for those who can't stand that!

...And now playing the title track off of ABBA's "The Visitors", which has gotten quite a few whirls again since the subject came up here at Rito's forum recently. Excellent album in its entirity, indeed! Also, I'm particularly fond of the sound on the album - this is big and warm in the wonderful fashion that productions from this era managed at their best! (In fact, "Heads Are Rolling" isn't too dissimilar in sound, but "The Visitors" still tops it ... distinctively, even!)

Marcus Bengtson
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by Marcus Bengtson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:37 am

Skagarack made "I'm Alone", right?

christian
Doctor Doctor

Post by christian » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:45 am

My ten recently played:
(iTunes on shuffle)

At Home In The Mire 4:52 Wakeman & Nolan
Overture 5:57 Wakeman & Nolan
Nails In My Feet 3:39 Crowded House
When She's Gone 5:41 Spock's Beard
Mr. Tambourine Man 5:27 The Byrds
I'm Not In Love 5:56 10cc
State Secrets 7:35 City Boy
Intermission 3:27 Glass Hammer
Kick It In 6:11 Simple Minds
Looking Out The
Window With A Blue
Hat On 2:19 A man called (e)

Geir
Mr Shoes

Post by Geir » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Hej Marcus! :D

Torben Schmidt and the boys were responsible for "I'm Alone", yes! It's the second track on their self-titled debut album and was also released as a single at the time, I believe.

If you feel like a little flashback, YouTube offers this and two other Skagarack videos from their first long player. ...Actually kind of interesting, as I didn't have access to those videos back in 1986!

I've got to hand it to them - that lighting rig looked pretty cool, both on the record sleeve and in the video!

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Geir wrote:If the name Skagarack doesn't ring a bell, I'm at least sure some of the Danes here will be familiar with them. Oh, and definitely Stefan P., plus most likely Piet, and possibly Bertrand and Andy, too? Geir :D

Geir,

Never heard of them, but always willing to be educated... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Andy
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 am

'
a lot of good stuff being mentioned here... I always like recommendations.

I've been listening to BOSTON these last couple of days. Brad Delp's voice is a one-of-a-kind.

~Dan
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert