Xmas Poll *<:-)

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:27 am

PerG wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
1after2 wrote:Kate Bush - December will be magic again

Wow! Never heard...

...yet!

You've got a PM Mikael! 8)

Wow again!

What a fantastic forum this is!

Thank you so much Piet for the picture of the sleeve (very nice indeed!) and the lyrics! :D

Thank you so much Per for the file containing the song! :D

It is Kate unmistakeably! You may very well be right about the year, Piet. The drawing seems to be made by the same hand that did the cover for her 1980 studio album, but I think the song itself reminds more of her first album. Anyway, she didn't disappoint me this time either!
... and out!

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:52 pm

BTW, the Blackmore's Night "Winter carols" is in stores now
Nice Christmas songs,crystal voice and superb guitar.
From "Black Night" to "White Christmas" ,Ritchie? :mrgreen:

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:55 pm

bertrand wrote:BTW, the Blackmore's Night "Winter carols" is in stores now
Nice Christmas songs,crystal voice and superb guitar.
From "Black Night" to "White Christmas" ,Ritchie? :mrgreen:

Ritchie is probably doing Christmas songs just because someone advised him not to... :wink:

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:04 am

Or ,because Candice told him to do... :wink:
seems she got some "influence "on him..
Seriously,I think he really enjoys the kind of soft music he 's playing today.It would be easy for him to take another Rainbow on the road,touring Germany and making a lot of money.
Anyway the man is a living enigma.Read his new unauthorised biography "Black knight" by Jerry Bloom and you 'll see... :shock:
Sorry,I'm a little far from the Christmas topic :oops: [/quote]

Charlie Freak
Momma's Boy

Post by Charlie Freak » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:41 am

1after2 wrote:My personal top X-mas songs are

The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York
Mostly Autumn - Fairytale Of New York (a great cover version !)
Chris Rea - Driving home for christmas
Mel Smith and Kim Wilde - Rockin' around the Christmas tree
Kate Bush - December will be magic again
Maddy Prior - On Christmas day
Mostly Autumn - Winter is King

Wow! This is a funny thread! I have a weekly 1-hour local radioshow in Sweden and I'm at the moment looking for christmas rock songs to play. I allready have all the classic ones (including the swedish) in the archive but it would be great to get hold of some lesser known but still good ones. Any chance of getting hold of the Kate Bush-song?
Did'nt Jethro Tull do a whole Chrsitmas album some year ago? And if so, was it any good? I know that Glenn Hughes and Lynnyrd Skynyrd did christmas-albums and this year we got abominations from Twisted Sister and Blackmore's Night. When will it end?????? Hopefully in january...

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:49 am

Hi Charlie
Well you 're a little bit cruel with Ritchie :cry:

Charlie Freak
Momma's Boy

Post by Charlie Freak » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:24 am

bertrand wrote:Hi Charlie
Well you 're a little bit cruel with Ritchie :cry:

Hey, Bertrand, I love Ritchie's work and I respect his will to follow his own path and not succumb to a greedy resurection of Rainbow. I even like some of the stuff he has done with Blackmore's Night but they are far and in between. Seems like he (or they) are running on empty on the last couple of records. Then again-I can really see them doing good stuff with old english christmas carrols.. I haven't heard the album.
I have however heard the Twisted Sister album and don't get me started on them! :lol:

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:40 am

Another one to avoid would be Billy Idol's new Christmas cd. Horrible. :twisted: Standard Christmas songs performed with standard jazzy arrangements. You would expect him to rock the shit out of the old stuff but no. :oops:

I like Billy but this one is obviously done without heart and soul.

Just like any Rod Stewart album from later years btw... :roll:

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:34 am

I love Christmas music - traditional and pop/rock types. So it's hard to pick a favorite. One really catchy rock original that comes to mind is Billy Squires "Christmas is a Time to Say I Love You" - hard not to sing along with that one.

Back in the mid-nineties I heard a version of "Little Drummer Boy" that was somewhere between hair-metal and prog band. Cool vocals and great guitar work... or so I seem to remember from hearing it only once ten years ago :roll: . Anyone have an idea who might have done this? LDB is probably one of my least favorite Christmas songs, but this version was great to my ears. I do like the Bing/Bowie version of LDB from a 70's TV special (what a great pairing!).

PerG
Millionaire

Post by PerG » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:43 am

cockatootoo wrote:Back in the mid-nineties I heard a version of "Little Drummer Boy" that was somewhere between hair-metal and prog band. Cool vocals and great guitar work... or so I seem to remember from hearing it only once ten years ago :roll: . Anyone have an idea who might have done this?

Any of these mentioned here perhaps?

Edit: 995 hits on AllMusic for "Little Drummer Boy"... I guess "everyone" from William Hung to David Bowie has recorded it then... :shock: :wink:
Last edited by PerG on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bertrand
Mr Shoes

Post by bertrand » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:08 am

..."Jingle bells" by Brian Seltzer....good work

"N I B" by Black Sabbath ?-ooops sorry- :lol:

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:31 pm

I've dug up some CD's from last year that I was playing over and over throughout the Christmas season...

> The BEST Christmas CD I have is one from a band named "Ten Point Ten", called "12 25". Original songs which have an occasional traditional Christmas song phrasing added... imagine it with a Prog trwist. Great stuff !! The songs are brilliantly written and arranged. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

> Another good one is "What's It Gonna Be, Santa?" from CHICAGO. A lot of fun to listen to Chicago's versions of many classics as well as some originals.

> and who better than the #1 Christian Pop man... Michael W. Smith and his latest Christmas release from a couple of years ago... "Christmastime". He's a very talented guy - arrangments, including orchestral where it makes sense. Another HIGHLY Recommended CD.

> and... has everyone heard the "Trans-Siberian Orchestra" rockin' out the Christmas classics? They're on TOUR right now (in the U.S.). My favorite is "The Silent Nutcracker" from "Christmas Eve and other stories". They mix up more than a few Nutcraker tunes into one great song (instrumental). My daughter's favorite (she was just in the Nutcracker - Youth Ballet performance).

> and for those Kevin Gilbert fans, there is a rare unreleased track out there "Emmanuel", done as a duet with Jonatha Brooke. She may have offered it as a free download on her website, and I think it's still on the KG website.

I figured that these probably wouldn't make it into this upcoming POLL because they're not commonly known Christmas hits, but I would rate all of these as my Top Christmas favorites !!

~Dan
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, "The 2006 Xmas Poll" is now on-line...

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:10 pm

BTW I recently came across these very nice Billy Joel lyrics, which have Christmas as a "secondary theme"...

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.