IT'S PERSONAL - 25 YEARS!

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

propylaen
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by propylaen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:47 am

Hi Per,

thanks - yes, I know these.
Just in case you like to check out some tunes in whick can show some more of his chops, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GWULmyCG64

Once you have this one there a lot more Bruford tunes. BTW, that show was just recently released officially.

Joerg

propylaen
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by propylaen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:49 am

cockatootoo wrote:hey propylaen, that's him - I remember Barbara Gaskin being mentioned often by him. Whether he did the CB gig is another story...

You mean in the columns he wrote for magazines or did you talk to him personally?

cockatootoo
Heavyweight

Post by cockatootoo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:28 pm

Oops... I meant the magazine articles :oops:

If I had talked personally to him, I would have asked if he played with CB :wink:

Charlie Freak
Momma's Boy

Post by Charlie Freak » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:29 am

[email protected] wrote:Charlie, in which magazine can we find your interview with Mike?

It's in the latest Red Hot Rock magazine- issue 27. Should be available through all Press Stop or Pressbyron in Sweden.
:D

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:52 am

Charlie Freak wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Charlie, in which magazine can we find your interview with Mike?

It's in the latest Red Hot Rock magazine- issue 27. Should be available through all Press Stop or Pressbyron in Sweden.
:D

Thanks for the information! I went to buy the magazine yesterday. Good you especially asked Mike about "It's Personal". He delivered some interesting facts on the subject that I believe many here would like to know. Would it be possible for you to post that part of the interview here in English?
... and out!

Charlie Freak
Momma's Boy

Post by Charlie Freak » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:37 am

Okidoki, I'll translate back the juiciest bits as soon as I get the time.

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:03 am

Is the Swedish version available online anywhere? Or would it be all right to post a transcript (scan) here?

I'm sure that all of us Scandinavians here would appreciate even a Swedish version. :wink:

If that's not possible, just let me know. I'll get my local public library busy procuring issue 17 of this RHR mag - does it have a website?

:-J

If you want to Walk on the Water you've got to get out of the boat.

[email protected]
Heavyweight

Post by [email protected] » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:32 pm

jam wrote:Is the Swedish version available online anywhere? Or would it be all right to post a transcript (scan) here?

I'm sure that all of us Scandinavians here would appreciate even a Swedish version. :wink:

OK, här är den:

DEN FÖRSVUNNA CITY BOY-SKIVAN

RHRM: City Boys sista platta, ”It’s Personal” måste verkligen vara ert förlorade album för nästan ingen utanför Sverige förefaller ha hört talas om den, inte ens riktiga City Boy-fans. Det verkar som om Sverige var det enda landet i världen där den plattan släpptes . . .

MS: Ja, det är ett stort mysterium som omgärdar det albumet. Jag vet inte vad som hände och ingen av de andra medlemmarna heller. Jag vet att efter att vi hade mixat "It’s Personal" blev vi droppade av Atlantic. De ville inte ens att vi skulle göra skivan. Jag vet att den aldrig släpptes i USA och jag tror att den inte ens kom ut i England. Vi bodde ju där och vi såg aldrig till den. När vi fick höra att det hade kommit ut exemplar på olika platser i Europa blev vi väldigt förvånade. Det var en jobbig tid. Vi splittrade bandet kort därefter.

RHRM: Det är synd på en bra platta. Där finns några riktiga juveler i låtar som ”Rat Race” och ”Names And Addresses”.

MS: Javisst. Jag har sagt i vissa intervjuer att det är en platta som aldrig borde ha gjorts och med det menar jag att vi aldrig lade ner tillräckligt jobb på den. Mixningen gjordes i all hast, vissa av låtarna arbetades inte tillräckligt på för att nå upp till sedvanlig City Boy-klass. Vi hade alla tankarna på annat än bandet och skivan. Vi visste att det skulle bli vår sista skiva ihop. Men jag tror verkligen att vissa av låtarna, om vi hade jobbat mer på dem och om vi haft inställningen att vi skulle göra fler skivor efter den här och vi skulle ut på turné och spela dessa låtar live, då hade det absolut kunnat ha blivit en av våra bästa skivor.

RHRM: Så du ser nästan på skivan som en demo?

MS: Ja en bra demo. Jag ser det inte som ett komplett album.
... and out!

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 am

Tack så hemskt mycket, Mikael. :P

I know for a fact that IP was released in DK, too. I bought it on casette when it came out. (My daughter recently asked me: Daddy, what is a "cassette tape"? That is how long ago this is...)

Interesting remarks from Mike about the songs needing more work. Maybe he would care to finalize one or two of them for a future Slamer album? 8)

Stew
Momma's Boy

Where to find a copy of this?

Post by Stew » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Hello all Cb fans,

I have been huge fan ever since the late 70's. I have all their studio LP/Cds except It's Personal. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get it?

I'll be eternally gratefull! :D
*- I don't need no audience 'round me I'm fond of my own company....*

jam
Doctor Doctor

Re: Where to find a copy of this?

Post by jam » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:24 pm

Stew wrote:[...]Can someone please point me in the right direction to get it?[...]

Make your own copy here.

Stew
Momma's Boy

Post by Stew » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Muchos gracious!!! 8)

jam
Doctor Doctor

Post by jam » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:16 am

No problem, man. Kudos goes to Martin, Mikael and Psilander for creating this and to Rito for hosting it.

Let us know what you think of it! There's quite a few people on this board that got to know about IP fairly recently - I'm sure they'd appreciate your comments. :wink:

And if you'd like to know what they think about IP, then just search this forum...

Stew
Momma's Boy

Post by Stew » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:57 am

I'll be happy to post a review. I have listened to the other CB releases so many times over the years that reviewing this one will be a pleasure.

Thanks Martin, Mikeal, Psilander and Rito!!!

It's great to find more people out there that appreciate CB as I do. I don't find too many people I meet that like them. I kept the CB LPs over the years as my little secret :)

DJWheels
Car-Eating Man

Post by DJWheels » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi Stew,

Just curious, where in this world do you reside ? (even though you've been a fan since the late 70's, I don't want to assume you're from the UK.)

and how did you find City Boy ?

also, what other favorite artists would you consider your top 10 ?

~Dan
Goodness Gracious, my Grandma used to say. The world's a scary place now, things were different in her day.
What horrors will be commonplace when my hair starts to grey? ~ Kevin Gilbert