The Vault

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

Laurelei
Generalissima

Re: The Vault

Post by Laurelei » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey Geoff,

Welcome to the board. Thanks much for sharing your CB memories. There's City Boy fans still around. The fact that 6 of their albums have now been re-released on CD, with number 7 coming out soon speaks to there still being an audieince for them. Somebody's buying up those disks, and it aint all me. Or check out all the comments on the YouTube videos. :D

Jo Ann 8)
Too damn hard...

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Geoff, glad you still have humor left. I can imagine both you and your friends felt a sting of bitterness as musicians being treated like that. But in a way they got a bit of revenge with songs like 5705 and Goodbye Blue Monday and maybe they will again since the albums might start to sell again especially if they reform, starts touring and release a new album, their back catalogue will start to become interesting again. Just yesterday I was surfing YouTube for various other favourites of mine. There where other struggling bands who had a hard time back then, like Mr Big (the UK band not the american), Pavlov's Dog, Druid and others. CB might have had a crappy record company but I think the punk/new wave also killed off a lot of talented bands just because they played similar kind of music as "the dinosaurs" as they spitefully used to called them when the punk bands became popular. Feels a bit strange to ponder that if they had made their break just 2-3 years earlier than they actually did, they might had been "dinosaurs" themselves. I mean Queen debuted 73 and there where other bands debuting pretty much around the same time, like Supertramp and 10cc and they became quite big. I was also watching And You And I with Yes from 73. Among the commenters there was a 14 year old fan of Yes and I was the same age myself when it was recorded. It's amazing that so young people discover and actually like the music of that fantastic era even today. So I'm convinced that also CB's music could find their way into the heart of a new generation.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

mik@el
Heavyweight

Post by mik@el » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:49 am

Welcome Geoff! You are exactly what this old board needs! A fresh, colourful voice with lots of CB memories. Keep on posting here! :D
... and out!

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 pm

wow ,hello fellow lovers of fine music.its a pleasure to be here believe me,we walk a lonely road as cb fans it seems,how many god damn times have you played some city boy in company and someone says

"who is this"
"city boy" you reply.......................silence,tumbleweed blows across the floor,a distant churchbell tolls.Now the reason this gets me so so angry is that apart from the mighty cb my favourite band are golden earring,this band has been together since 1967,they still perform about 100 shows a year in holland i admit; but recently came to england for the first time in 32 years and went down a storm at ipswich regent and london,they looked visibly shocked that hundreds of people had come,sang along with the songs and loved them,very similar to cb ,but my gripe is,i shall put you out of your misery now,yes they are the ones that did radar love..god yes city boy,yeah; they did 5705,for christ sake these bands have so much more ,so much more,which i why i seem to bang my head against a wall trying to explain to idiots ,oh actually they released more than just a single you saw on top of the pops while you were waiting for pans people!!!they made long playing records,get off your arse and go check out.here i feel i am in the company of greatness,if you listen to and love cb,which you do,we are of a kindred spirit.Max and i seem to be e mailing a lot recently since i got in touch,and i am trying to come up with anything to help him along at a difficult time,but it aint easy.
it was a strange time back in 1976/77,but this band really introduced me to quality music.i was into early thin lizzy{they were just a three piece then]status quo,early yes,ELP,but also the avant garde which i still love as much as beautifully crafted songs.Gong,magma,gentle giant,tangerine dream,hold memories of being a young boy listening to john peel and being literally scared by what i heard.I think my workmate who i have mentioned before came to the shop and said something like"these are my mates,they have a record want to listen?this is cb 1,if i have the words wrong i do not forget the day,we played that album for hours and hours,we could not sing ,but we harmonised on 5000 years,and you know what,32 years later that album not only takes me back but takes me up,up to place where you can say "i love this".
max put me onto a site,i imagine from here,that has' its personal'.personally i cant wait to hear this,i feel a bit of a fraud that i suddenly appear without even knowing they had a lost album!!! but it never occured to me to google city boy.i look forward to getting to know those who post here and i shall put my review of 'its personal' very soon.
geoff{mr shoes}
just call me geoff.

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 pm

ok just heard its personal,first city boy music for me since 'heads'LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT,when i have my city boy nights,ie,play all the abums back to back and know i can add this one,its not the best one,nobody in the band will say ,this is the one we want to be remembered by,but it oozees quality and skill,what makes cb the band they are.imagine if max gets them together,would they say to a track,that will do,chuck it out!!no, quality first,thats what they do; from moonlight; to life on the balcony.what a great band.

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:01 pm

mrshoes wrote:and released a song that was played on american radio for a while,not a big station i guess,but hey !!!

Hey Geoff,

What song?

Jo Ann 8)
Too damn hard...

propylaen
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by propylaen » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 am

Hi Geoff,

Just returned from holidays in Holland and checked the forum. Welcome on board!

Great to have you here. It's really fun reading your memories. I'm looking forward to more that you have to share with other CB fans here.

As for Golden Earring, I also heard that their UK tour was quite a success. Strange that they are remembered for their biggest selling hit "Radar Love" alone by most people. As you said, they have so much more. Although I am far from knowing all of their repertoire, I used to love another earlier single success "Back Home" and my all time favourite of theirs is "Are You Receiving Me" on the album "Moontan" which also included "Radar Love". I highly recommend to check this album out if you don't know it yet. I'm pretty sure this should appeal to most CB fans.

Joerg
...seen CITY BOY in Hamburg (Germany) on March 16, 1978 in support of Manfred Mann's Earth Band

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:58 pm

hi joerg,thanks for the welcome,i have been an earring fan since 1973,i have everything the band has recorded i think and have been to holland many times to see them,i first saw them in my then home town of birmingham,i moved to suffolk 18 months ago,then in 74 they had some bare foot red neck guys called lynyrd skynyrd supporting them.these guys came on ,some in bare feet,holding bottles of jack daniels and proceeded to play an entertaining set,to this day as long as i live i will remember ronnie van zandt saying"thankyou people,this is a song we call freebird"nobody knew this song because nobody clapped.10 minutes later me and EVERYONE AND I MEAN EVERYONE were blown away,but earring came on and played a great show and won the day but what a night.so i go back with that band and i think most city boy fans would love moontan,maybe we should find a way to make them hear it?
Geoff

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey Geoff,

Getting back to CB for a minute, do you happen to have anything cool lurking about from those days like rehearsal tapes, concert tapes or photographs? Love to see it posted to the site, if you do.

Jo 8)
Too damn hard...

Coventry Dave
Doctor Doctor

Post by Coventry Dave » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:26 pm

MOONTAN.........fantastic album !!!
Saw them in London a few months ago.........LOUD or what ! But brilliant with it !
Stone me what a life.

MrDrummer
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by MrDrummer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Great stories Geoff, I have not posted on this site in quite a while and think I need to come back more often. I'm with you on Golden Earring. One of my other favorite bands. 1969,s Eight Miles High, 78 Grab It for a Second, I love the song Against the Grain! Everybody go grab and give a listen to The Naked Truth
Good God, she's deadly delicious, camper than a holiday.

cdtheduck
Band Member

Post by cdtheduck » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Laurelei wrote:And here's another of Roy's. He provided the uncredited vocals for this re-make of the Tokens hit. I think I remember hearing somewhere that Chris Dunn produced this.

I heard this version used in a Doctor Who episode not too long ago - msic to drown out the sound of slaughtering and converting humans into Cyber Men. :shock:

Jo 8)

No, I didn't produce this...I was the general logistics manager for Tight fit......booked all their interviews and arranged their tour....drove them everywhere....took them to Bulgaria, East Germany, Poland, shot videos in St. Tropez and Venice.......quite the trip for a while!!

The Duck

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:23 am

Hi Chris,

Curious about Tight Fit. Did Roy do the vocals for more of their stuff or just that one? Did they lip synch live, or did the "singer" try to hit those notes?

Jo Ann
Too damn hard...

cdtheduck
Band Member

Post by cdtheduck » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:02 am

Laurelei wrote:Hi Chris,

Curious about Tight Fit. Did Roy do the vocals for more of their stuff or just that one? Did they lip synch live, or did the "singer" try to hit those notes?

Jo Ann

Roy ONLY sang on "The Lion....." and that was because the incarnation of Tight Fit thrown together to front the single had not been put together at the time the song was recorded. The group sung on all subsequent songs on the albums but mimed on all of the TV appearances. When we did a tour of the UK seaside towns in summer 1982 we had Paul Young and his amazing band "The Q-Tips" backing Steve and the girls. The three of them sang live and Steve was able to mimic Roy's vocals exactly! I remember one gig...Scarborough, I think, where a tabloid journalist came up to me at the end of the show and said: "All right, then, come on, where's the tape machine....I know they weren't singing live!" I showed him the mixing station and pointed out that there wasn't even a cassette deck, let alone a Revox! (No DAT machines or ProTools rigs around back then!) He walked away scratching his head!

Duck

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks, Chris.

To mimic Roy is quite a thing to pull off. Paul Young; I don't know the Q-Tips but is that the same Paul Young that did Every Time You Go Away? Not my favorite song but I remember it well and he had a great voice.

Jo Ann 8)
Too damn hard...