The Vault

Discussions about the British rock group City Boy and music in general.

Moderator: rito

PerG
Heavyweight

Re: The Vault

Post by PerG » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 am

propylaen wrote:You can also watch the video at your PC. To do so, you simply have to open the VTS_01_1.VOB file (the big one) with Windows Media Player, or another video player, like VLC video player for example.

Also I'd like to say thanks for making this available.

Greetings
Joerg

Yep, that's correct; the VOB file is actually a MPEG file. I tried that first but it didn't work on my pc, not with WMP and not with the otherwise excellent VLC player. Did you get it to work for you?

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Finally got to download this after 5 days trying (dodgy internet connection). I remember seeing Max on NMTB live and being thrilled and stunned. Good to see the footage again. Thanks for posting this :D

Andy.
A man could die of thirst - first to the bar and the last to get served....

propylaen
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by propylaen » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:51 am

PerG wrote:Yep, that's correct; the VOB file is actually a MPEG file. I tried that first but it didn't work on my pc, not with WMP and not with the otherwise excellent VLC player. Did you get it to work for you?

Actually it does work for me with WMP but not with the VLC player.
Last edited by propylaen on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
...seen CITY BOY in Hamburg (Germany) on March 16, 1978 in support of Manfred Mann's Earth Band

kiraaimi
Momma's Boy

Post by kiraaimi » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 am

I have been a City Boy fan since the very beginning. I own all there albums on CD but cannot find a copy (album or CD) of their obscure release 'it's personal.' Can you provide me with some information on how to get my hands on that release? An help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Lou

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:07 pm

kiraaimi wrote:I have been a City Boy fan since the very beginning. I own all there albums on CD but cannot find a copy (album or CD) of their obscure release 'it's personal.' Can you provide me with some information on how to get my hands on that release? An help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Lou

Hi Lou,

Welcome to the board! You'll find mp3s here: http://xchange.cityboy.org/albums/its_personal/ . With regard to a CD copy, we are hoping Renaissance may release this on CD. Occasionally LP copies appear on e-bay.

It's a pretty good album - enjoy!

Best wishes,

Andy.

kiraaimi
Momma's Boy

Post by kiraaimi » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Andy,
Thanks for the link. This is great. I am sure I will enjoy.

Best Regards,
Lou

JohnTG
Momma's Boy

Post by JohnTG » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi,

Are their any covers for the live shows that were made? Thanks for any reply.

John

Steve F
Momma's Boy

Post by Steve F » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:51 pm

I'm new here and I can't thank you enough for the live tunes !!! THANK YOU !!!

I see "it's Personal" is available too but it's in flac format. All I have is iTunes, Windows Media player and Quick Time. Is it available in any format supported by those ? I could just download Winamp but I want to put it on a CD as mp3. Looks like you need to buy the pro version of winamp to do that.

uberbelly
Narcissus

Post by uberbelly » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:38 pm

you can download this for free...it decodes FLAC to wav and then you can compress to your hearts content

http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html
One more mosquito bite before we get to bed...

uberbelly
Narcissus

Post by uberbelly » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:18 am

this site is awesome! thanks for the Royston stuff. I've never heard it before and Roy is such an awesome vocalist. whoo hooo
One more mosquito bite before we get to bed...

Andy H
Heavyweight

Post by Andy H » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm

uberbelly wrote:this site is awesome! thanks for the Royston stuff. I've never heard it before and Roy is such an awesome vocalist. whoo hooo

Hi Jeff,

Check out Tokyo Charm as well - more Roy solo stuff.

Andy.

Laurelei
Generalissima

Post by Laurelei » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:25 pm

And here's another of Roy's. He provided the uncredited vocals for this re-make of the Tokens hit. I think I remember hearing somewhere that Chris Dunn produced this.

I heard this version used in a Doctor Who episode not too long ago - msic to drown out the sound of slaughtering and converting humans into Cyber Men. :shock:

Jo 8)

Too damn hard...

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:25 pm

hi all you city boy fans,i didnt realize there were any left,wonderful.well i am new here but go back to the early days with city boy.max already knows the story but i shall give you all a brief background.
i worked in birmingham in 1976 for a while and got to know the band and attend the drunken orgies they held at H.Q which was a house at Napton on the hill in warwickshire,my work mate martin introduced me to chris and others and we followed the success from our little shop selling electronic equipment.As i said to max recently,it was a while ago and i was always drunk it would seem,i was only 17 at the time !!but i do remember the parties and the original manager[wilf] and various other little landmarks.Like a few people here i still play all the albums and still love all the albums as much as i did when i first heard them.As time went on i owned a little recording studio and played and produced music,taught electric guitar for many years and released a song that was played on american radio for a while,not a big station i guess,but hey !!!i am 50 now and have played guitar for 43 years and having worn the producers hat and been a songwriter,which i wasnt at 17,you really really stand amazed at the sheer quality of these albums.As i was happy to point out to max,i consider the collection of albums as the finest body of work by any band i have yet to hear,their is no weak spot as far as i am concerned.
anyhow i would love get involved with this site and if anybody wants to e mail me or whatever i would be glad to talk
'this man on dangerous [email protected]

Robin_Shadowes
Heavyweight

Post by Robin_Shadowes » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:56 pm

mrshoes wrote:hi all you city boy fans,i didnt realize there were any left,wonderful.well i am new here but go back to the early days with city boy.max already knows the story but i shall give you all a brief background.
i worked in birmingham in 1976 for a while and got to know the band and attend the drunken orgies they held at H.Q which was a house at Napton on the hill in warwickshire,my work mate martin introduced me to chris and others and we followed the success from our little shop selling electronic equipment.As i said to max recently,it was a while ago and i was always drunk it would seem,i was only 17 at the time !!but i do remember the parties and the original manager[wilf] and various other little landmarks.Like a few people here i still play all the albums and still love all the albums as much as i did when i first heard them.As time went on i owned a little recording studio and played and produced music,taught electric guitar for many years and released a song that was played on american radio for a while,not a big station i guess,but hey !!!i am 50 now and have played guitar for 43 years and having worn the producers hat and been a songwriter,which i wasnt at 17,you really really stand amazed at the sheer quality of these albums.As i was happy to point out to max,i consider the collection of albums as the finest body of work by any band i have yet to hear,their is no weak spot as far as i am concerned.
anyhow i would love get involved with this site and if anybody wants to e mail me or whatever i would be glad to talk
'this man on dangerous [email protected]

Welcome to the forum! Yes, there are a few of us old fans still around worldwide and we still appreciate CB to this day. I listened through the albums a few times as late as this spring but I guess as we now approach late summer fast, I might go through them a couple of times again. I'm glad you had the privelege to know them back in the early days. Perhaps you have more stories to tell us? Is What A Night inspired by one of those drunken orgies? Personally I'm glad to just having met them briefly backstage and their autographs means more to me than perhaps the more famous Peter Gabriel or Stanley Clarke. Although I'm also very proud of my Jerry Siegel (co-creator of Superman) autograph but as he wasn't a musician or music related I don't count that in here.
"To hell with friends and NME's"

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper"
- Rod Serling

mrshoes
Hap-ki-do kid

Post by mrshoes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:06 pm

hi robin,it was exciting to see the band develop over a few years,at first we would play the debut album all day,then they went on top of the pops i think with hap ki do,very exciting times,and then as each album appeared even at my tender age i could see a band at the time fulfilling its destiny to be global.To this day i have never thought it was fair that a band so talented could be overtaken for a load of shit which was around at the time.Lets remember here the record company are more to blame than the band.they did there part,giving the world classic albums and touring it,if nobody knows they are coming or can buy the records what can you do.?
As for napton on the hill,i imagine what a night was written about it,i was young and in the company of a good friend and workmate who certainly led me down the road of heavy drinking and cigarettes,which i dont do know but did then.since getting in touch with max many memories have come back that have not been in my head since 1976 or so.And i have to say i wonder if some are real !!!!.i remember meeting up with chris dunn at heathrow in 1984 ,he was flying to i think south africa and me los angeles,it had been many years.
Chris was friends with my workmate so i saw him more than anyone,i dont remember meeting the others outside the parties,but i may have !!!!!.i think the band came to the shop we worked in because we sold lights and fuses and cable and things which a gigging band need and we either gave it free when nobody looked or at a very cheap price.The manager at the time,a man called wilf i remember,before success came ,used to join us most nights at a gay bar called the windmill in hurst street birmingham next to the shop.Now i must stress that none of us were gay!! but the pub was next door so it made sense.The regulars knew us,knew we were straight and were very nice and treated us with a welcome,infact i was given the name 'bubbles' after a tv character called geoffrey bubbles bonbon,so it was weird to go in this gay pub and people all shout hi bubbles,like 'norm' in cheers but more gay !!!.i think wilf was fired i dont know why,and i think..... his wife went off with a lesbian,but i might be wrong,a distant drunken memory.i intend to maybe ask max to fill in the gaps when we have maybe become better friends.In the years of having a computer oddly i never 'googled' city boy till recently,dont ask me why !!!!so i was surprised to say the least when i came across fellow fans,so now we can chat about this great band instead of people saying"who".bye for now
Geoff.
'anyone for tennis'.